Picked up my new ride today *Import Warning*

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Well done, in for all the info.

Curious on the right hard drive on right side of the road impressions. Has to be a bit of a bug out, we has triple left turn lanes here, think I'd have a stroke.

oldmodman

Established Member
Due to the reflection I couldn't tell if your new car is right hand drive or left.

And there are quite a few companies that now bring premium or even restored examples of Japanese supercars.

It's surprisingly reasonable too.

Congratulations on your find.

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
Thank you all for the kind words!

Looks good OP! :coolman:
I have seen quite a few R34 GT-R's this summer, as we only have a 15 year rule.
Beautiful cars, and they can be very quick.

Yeah I wish we had the 15 year rule too!

That's awesome man, love the older Skylines, R33 is my personal favorite. Looking forward to reading your blog about the process. I wonder if importing will affect the mkiv Supra market at all, will be interesting times over the following years.

The Mkiv supra should start being importable in 2018, so we'll see how it plays on the market!

Very nice! So you went through the whole process yourself? It seems a lot of people are just going through Japanese Classics to get them. I'm holding out for an R34. It's going to be a long wait though.

Yup I did the whole process myself (in a way). I hired an export company in Japan, and then a customs broker to handle the import process into the USA. The R34 is also a dream car of mine, but I just couldn't wait that long :) The R32 is also a dream car of mine...it's ok to have more than 1 dream car right!?!

That's awesome, I have always wanted a blue R34 GTR since I can remember, but the old R33 and R32s are awesome also and it has the RB26 witch is a power house engine. Please post more pictures when you can.

I'll definitely get more pictures, but it's been pouring down rain ever since I got home with it...stay tuned!

Well done, in for all the info.

Curious on the right hard drive on right side of the road impressions. Has to be a bit of a bug out, we has triple left turn lanes here, think I'd have a stroke.

It's definitely weird from just my initial driving the car on and off the trailer and down my road and back to the driveway lol. I have a youtube channel where I'll be posting my experiences and have videos with the car and stuff. I posted a video in the original post that is my youtube channel, feel free to subscribe :)

Due to the reflection I couldn't tell if your new car is right hand drive or left.

And there are quite a few companies that now bring premium or even restored examples of Japanese supercars.

It's surprisingly reasonable too.

Congratulations on your find.

Thank you kind sir, it is most definitely right hand drive. That was the most appealing thing to me. To have an authentic japanese super car, right hand drive and everything!

GT500EA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Congratulations man, I'm not much of an import fan...but I got a small spot for GTR's. I'll definitely be following your build!

Stang Lover

Established Member
That is awesome man! I"m excited and I didn't even buy it lol. That and a supra are one of my dream cars I will own one day. Do you mind sharing the price or are you gonna wait to put it in the blog?

prs97

Established Member
For those interested in the process of importing one of these from Japan, Doug DeMuro on Jalopnik recently went through this same thing a few months ago and put up a few posts about the whole thing.

Nice car OP. Lot of luck with it.

Blackoyote

Established Member
Hell yeah, nice dude!

I toyed with the idea of buying one off eBay and importing it...but I'll just wait for a few more years for there to be a bunch around and avoid all the hard leg work :) Since 1989s have been legal to import for almost 2 years, quite a few have popped up in my area, and 2 have already been for sale for 'decent' prices.

SeikenFreak

2 Scoops
Established Member
Congrats! Did you get it through Derek? Might have seen this in one of his videos.

I still can't drive mine and it's been sitting in my garage for a little over a month now. The paperwork crap has been hellish in NJ but, according to the gentleman on the phone at DMV, I should have my title within the next few days. Then I need to get insurance nailed down which might be easy or a nightmare.

I just put this video together last night:

[video=youtube;bNcUl3weLnk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNcUl3weLnk[/video]

Not sure if this is some rare old exhaust because I wasn't really able to find information on it. I found one posting from a dude in the UK asking about it and that's it. It also appears to be stamped with a number so they may have been serialized.

Last edited:

bluestang41505

Established Member
4japan.jpg

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
Did you go through Right Hand Drive or Japanese Classic by chance?

Nope, I used and exporter in Japan.

Congratulations man, I'm not much of an import fan...but I got a small spot for GTR's. I'll definitely be following your build!

Thank you!

Very cool, any plans for it?

Just cruising around in it for now. I'll probably end up doing some stuff down the road. Maybe single turbo!

That is awesome man! I"m excited and I didn't even buy it lol. That and a supra are one of my dream cars I will own one day. Do you mind sharing the price or are you gonna wait to put it in the blog?

I don't really want to put how much I paid, but it wasn't on the cheaper end. This car was a grade 4 with interior of B (so it was a really nice car for it's year). But you can probably see them from anywhere from 12k - 25k before shipping costs, customs broker fees, US Duty fees, Registration fees....ugh it hurts saying all those "fees"

For those interested in the process of importing one of these from Japan, Doug DeMuro on Jalopnik recently went through this same thing a few months ago and put up a few posts about the whole thing.

Nice car OP. Lot of luck with it.

Thank you, Doug DeMuro actually used Japanese Classics to get his.

I mean its no R34 but cool car

LOL

Hell yeah, nice dude!

I toyed with the idea of buying one off eBay and importing it...but I'll just wait for a few more years for there to be a bunch around and avoid all the hard leg work :) Since 1989s have been legal to import for almost 2 years, quite a few have popped up in my area, and 2 have already been for sale for 'decent' prices.

Sweet hope you get one!

Congrats! Did you get it through Derek? Might have seen this in one of his videos.

I still can't drive mine and it's been sitting in my garage for a little over a month now. The paperwork crap has been hellish in NJ but, according to the gentleman on the phone at DMV, I should have my title within the next few days. Then I need to get insurance nailed down which might be easy or a nightmare.

I just put this video together last night:

[video=youtube;bNcUl3weLnk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNcUl3weLnk[/video]

Not sure if this is some rare old exhaust because I wasn't really able to find information on it. I found one posting from a dude in the UK asking about it and that's it. It also appears to be stamped with a number so they may have been serialized.

Thank you. I did use Derek's company to export. I heard the Nismo exhausts are pretty rare and worth some money if someone is looking for one!

I used Hagerty Collector Car Insurance to insure mine for full value. It was a breeze to insure and they are very nice to deal with. Check them out.

Jelly. That is all.

:) Thank you

Too soon Junior!

carguy19

Established Member
I dont know what the DMV laws are where you live, but on the east coast here, its very expensive and lots of work to get the car to be federalized as far as bumpers, glass, iights, and safety equipment. So unless you are a dealer here on the east coast and just plan on driving the car on a dealer plate, then it would probably cost you the same or more then the car would cost just to get it legal to be registered here.

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
I dont know what the DMV laws are where you live, but on the east coast here, its very expensive and lots of work to get the car to be federalized as far as bumpers, glass, iights, and safety equipment. So unless you are a dealer here on the east coast and just plan on driving the car on a dealer plate, then it would probably cost you the same or more then the car would cost just to get it legal to be registered here.

The car is 25 years old and exempt from National Safety & Hazard regulations as well as exempt from EPA regulations. It's registered and titled in the USA. I am on the east coast as well. Virginia. Just had to pay state tax when registering.

Users who are viewing this thread