perhaps my greatest mod... (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by golfprowanabe
I couldn't get a real good look to see how thick that plywood is, but that definately helps with the triagulation as long as it's bolted at the top and bottom of every upright ( which I'm sure you've probably done). How thick is the plywood Mike??

It's 3/4 plywood with a screw every 6 inches. This ramps has somewhere around 400-500 4 inch screws.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by davidmax
Nice piece will it hold my mother in law Tessie(2 Ton),Dave S.

It's holding my 2 ton car so I think it will support her weight.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Forbidden Snake
How did you build that? Did you use nails or bolts? (You may have already mentioned it, but I didn't see it)

The are 400-500 srews and a bunch of 1/2'' bolts. The bolts connect the side to side 4x4s to the main supports, the wheel stop 4x4s to the main supports, and connect the ramps to the main supports.

ReefBlueCoupe

Established Member
Maybe if it were welded steel I would use that.. you couldn't pay me to work on a car that was sitting on such a contraption.

I hope we don't see you on the Darwin awards website anytime soon.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
UPDATE!!! New Project.

I designed this ladder to change the light out in front of my house. I just want the forum engineers to give me their stamp of approval.

ladder.bmp

Lincmrk6

Originally posted by bassin247
What are the right tools? A lift in my driveway? Do you think I am the first person to make something like this? I saw a similar creation in a pic and decided to make my own. If I didn't think it was safe I wouldn't be betting under it. I am a mechanical engineer, not a dummy. Have a nice day.

Yes the right tools would be a lift......

No you are not the first person to come up with this idea (and if everyone jumped of a bridge would you do so also because someone else did it?)

I have seen and read of a few people being hurt with similar contraptions.. Just recently in Mass it happened to a young man in Billerica on wooden ramps.. He is no longer with us anymore.

You are a mechanical engineer... funny thing is I also have my mechanical engineering degree from Umass Lowell... Where did you get yours KB Toys?

What you have made is NOT SAFE I would hold you responsible if anyone from this site built your so called lift and hurt themselves..

Use your head buddy... moisture, heat, light , general use will degrade the wood and it IS a death trap. You can lay under all you want... but DON'T tell other people its safe. That is wrong and misinformation. We are not talking pride here we are talking about someones life....

To those people that think this is a good idea please reconsider. This is not a good solution If you need a lift use/rent one. When you cut corners with saftey its NEVER a good idea.

VBGOD

Established Member
Re: UPDATE!!! New Project.

I designed this ladder to change the light out in front of my house. I just want the forum engineers to give me their stamp of approval.

ladder.bmp

:D

VBGOD

Established Member
Originally posted by Lincmrk6

No you are not the first person to come up with this idea (and if everyone jumped of a bridge would you do so also because someone else did it?)

I have seen and read of a few people being hurt with similar contraptions.. Just recently in Mass it happened to a young man in Billerica on wooden ramps.. He is no longer with us anymore.

You are a mechanical engineer... funny thing is I also have my mechanical engineering degree from Umass Lowell... Where did you get yours KB Toys?

What you have made is NOT SAFE I would hold you responsible if anyone from this site built your so called lift and hurt themselves..

Use your head buddy... moisture, heat, light , general use will degrade the wood and it IS a death trap. You can lay under all you want... but DON'T tell other people its safe. That is wrong and misinformation. We are not talking pride here we are talking about someones life....

To those people that think this is a good idea please reconsider. This is not a good solution If you need a lift use/rent one. When you cut corners with saftey its NEVER a good idea.

Damn...

I like the concept, but the whole "wood thing" really scares me.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member

That's funny, I spent my first 2 years at Lowell. I transferred to Wentworth because I wanted a better Education. KB Toys is close enough though.

I am not responsible for anyone building this ramp. Is a movie/video game company responsible if someone copies something out of a movie/game and gets hurt?

DISCLAIMER

DON'T BUILD THIS RAMP. YOU MIGHT GET HURT IF YOU ARE A JACKASS AND BUILD IT WRONG.

Lincmrk6

I am not responsible for anyone building this ramp. Is a movie/video game company responsible if someone copies something out of a movie/game and gets hurt?

DISCLAIMER

DON'T BUILD THIS RAMP. YOU MIGHT GET HURT IF YOU ARE A JACKASS AND BUILD IT WRONG.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ignorance

\Ig"no*rance\, n. [F., fr. L. ignorantia.] 1. The condition of being ignorant; the want of knowledge in general, or in relation to a particular subject; the state of being uneducated or uninformed.

Ignorance is the curse of God, Knowledge the wing wherewith we fly to heaven. --Shak.

2. (Theol.) A willful neglect or refusal to acquire knowledge which one may acquire and it is his duty to have. --Book of Common Prayer.

Invincible ignorance (Theol.), ignorance beyond the individual's control and for which, therefore, he is not responsible before God.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

ignorance

n : the lack of knowledge or education

You sir are ignorant.

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by VBGOD
Damn...

I like the concept, but the whole "wood thing" really scares me.

There's nothing wrong with "wood". Bassin's design is pretty good, but it's not complete. He doesn't have cross braces to prevent the box from collapsing sideways, eventhough it's based on a 10" wide base, it's still something to be a concerned of. I don't see a problem with vertical structural support. I'm just scared of it collapsing sideways, forward or backwards, when you're underneath the car and tugging on parts.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Make what wider? The wood that support the car? They are currently 10'' wide, the width of my tires I've been thinking about putting a 2x12 on top of the 2x10 and using 2x4s to make a little channel to drive up. This ramp is safe... A lot safer than jack stands or rhino ramps. I don't care what any of these self proclaimed structural engineers or "master carpenters" say. My father was in the carpenters union for 30 years. If he says it's fine and I say it's fine then I'm going to work under the "thing".

:lol: come on mike. i was making a joke & forget that idiot...but yeah a 2x12 would make me feel confirtable....so maybe im just chicken :D

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ignorance

\Ig"no*rance\, n. [F., fr. L. ignorantia.] 1. The condition of being ignorant; the want of knowledge in general, or in relation to a particular subject; the state of being uneducated or uninformed.

Ignorance is the curse of God, Knowledge the wing wherewith we fly to heaven. --Shak.

2. (Theol.) A willful neglect or refusal to acquire knowledge which one may acquire and it is his duty to have. --Book of Common Prayer.

Invincible ignorance (Theol.), ignorance beyond the individual's control and for which, therefore, he is not responsible before God.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

ignorance

n : the lack of knowledge or education

You sir are ignorant.

Thanks for the english lesson. You can go away now.

AutomaticWeapon

Established Member
... I don't care what any of these self proclaimed structural engineers or "master carpenters" say. My father was in the carpenters union for 30 years. If he says it's fine and I say it's fine then I'm going to work under the "thing".
Bro, everyone is just looking out for YOUR safety!

That $250 contraption you built is NOT SAFE no matter what your Father says, even with 30 years wood working experience. Quality jackstands are much safer.

That said, I sincerely hope you don't get squashed.

-Mike

SmokinV10

Attention Walmart and K-Mart shoppers, bust out the coors light and the pork rhines, pull out your mildew infested lawnchairs, and relax cause today youre in for a treat!! No, no, we arent showing the debut of belly button cleaning services....what we have for you is even better!!! Our next NASCRAP MENSA candidate has volunteered his own unemployed welfare seeking ass on teaching us the fine art of cruel and unusually slow suicide. Youll also be treated to the fine art of homemade jackassery lift making in this All-in-one course!!! Forrest Gump here, has graciously vonteered to how us how to make his ingenius do-hickey. The great part of this eyesore is that it doubles as lawn furniture that goes great next to that rusting VW bus sitting in your front yard atop rotten tires. The height of this monstrocity will be just high enough to peep up across the weeds than no amount of industrial Ortho weed killer could hope to kill. Oh yes, this device does it all. The best part ist hat you may end your miserable lives by laying underneath it with a car on top. No, no dont space the 2x4's 16" on center, save money and put them 24" on center. For those of you who cant count, thats about how many teeth you used to have back when you were 5. When you get your car on top of your deathtrap. Make sure to do lots of heavy work that exerts shear foces on the structure. That way when the car comes tumbling down you can get pinned under 4000 lbs of steel. Imagine laying there, running out of air, in total pain as the life runs out of your body. Screw Dr Kavorkian, hes too damned expensive!!! You can do this for less than three bills!!!! End your lives now. Afterwards, with any luck, you can salvage the mess and leave your twenty starving children with some lawn furniture to go play in!!!!

WAR THE LIBERAL MEDIA HASNT SEEN SHIT UNTIL THEY PUT SOME IRAQI PRISONERS UNDER THIS THING!!!!!!

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
They aren't 2x4 genius. If you actually took the time to real through the post you would know they are 2x10s. :bash:

SmokinV10

They aren't 2x4 genius. If you actually took the time to real through the post you would know they are 2x10s. :bash:

Genius? No, you Sir, are the genius. How could I have missed the sheer brilliance of using 2x10's? 2x4's would have a rather sudden catastrophic failure, whereas 2x10's might bear more of the load, allowing for a more controlled failure, making any attempts of suicide much more painful. That way the victim could feel the pressure increasing on his skull has his eyeballs exploded only after enduring the bliss of total lung collapse. Who would want to die instantaneously, slow and miserable is a much better option. .:rolleyes: Our founding fathers must have been idiots when they said "no cruel and unusual punishment". You, sir are the Genius, not me

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
2x4 = 8 sq inches. 2x10 = 20sq inches. So yes, it does provide 250% more verical support. Can you do us a favor and go back to your viper forum.

Can a moderator lock this thread please. It's turning into a pissing contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread