Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
390.jpg

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
don't jinx me.

Not trying to, just want you to get some diagonal metal bracing on that thing before you end up flattened.

It looks strong bassin but it's wood man, wood. That's a 4000lb car on there. If it were me I'd be bracing it big time. You only live once.

golfprowanabe

Established Member
Originally posted by Bigscott

Do you think it has enough..

a) vertical support? Dude, it's made of wood!
b) side to side support? Still made of wood!
c) front to back support? WHO CARES IT"S MADE OF FREAKING WOOD!!!!!!!

AND

d) are you afraid it's going to fall off? I'd be afriad that it would crumble
e) would you work under a car with jackstands?
Lift's when I can and at home I use very stout jack stands...

Now my question to you...Ever see a dead guy under a car before?? I have, Not a pretty sight when the head explodes like a pumpkin... All I was trying to do was help you to NOT be that guy and you have the balls to dis my skills when you have no clue what they are!

"You sound like someone that's never worked on a car before"
That sir, is one of the worst things you could say to a car guy so I bid you good day and please do not breed. :loser:

-Scott

edit, I showed your "lift" to my buddy who is a Master Carpenter, he told me you were a "kook" but had a nice car.

And another thing... It's "Indian" not "indean".

Hey guess what...... more than half of all homes built are supported by, take a guess.............. wood!!!! And they hold a hell of alot more weight.

But Mike......... I would be a little worried about a front to back or back to front roll and collapse of the frame. Laterall stability shouldn't be as much an issue because you have a ten inch platform with each board in that direction. But you only have a two inch base(on each board) to prevent it from collapsing foward or backward. And with a being a "square" construction, there is no added support to prevent a collapse. I would at least bolt few rods or something to the top of one upright with the bottom of the next.

Last edited:

Bigscott

Established Member
Hey guess what...... more than half of all homes built are supported by, take a guess.............. wood!!!!

I understand that but that is not a house nor was it built like one.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Dude, HTF could you come to that conclusion with the statment I posted is beyond me. Please enlighten me why you feel I never worked on a car before with what I posted??!!??

I still do not see where I come accross like I have never worked on cars??

And another thing... It's "Indian" not "indean".

I came to the conculsion becuase you care more about how you look working on your car than you do working on it.

Thanks for the spelling lesson mommy. :burn:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by 01vert
Nice work,

Triangulating supports down the length should not be needed as the plywood if of decent thickness fills the bill.

That is exactly why the plywood is there. There is no way this car is going to collapse forward.

Mommy, is my spelling and punctuation to your satisfaction?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I Would be your Daddy, son.

Now go find a clue.

Maybe in your eyes, but not mine. Do me a favor and take a hike. I don't want your garbage in my thread.

Bigscott

Established Member
I don't want your garbage in my thread.

Son, If I lived near you I would not like your retarded Jack stand in my parking lot so go figure. :rollseyes

-Yer Daddy

:kaboom:

Re: Re: Only in Hingham

:lol: Who is your friend, maybe I know him. Small down of creative geniuses we have here.

I think we may have a new winner of the darwin award soon!:lol:

Lincmrk6

This is spreading through forums like wildfire...

bassin247 This whole thread needs to go away.... What you have made is unsafe and is going to hurt someone... most likely yourself...

You are promoting something that is UNSAFE there is no if and or butts about it.....

You need to be a little more responcible in what you post someone may try to repeat the monstrosity you have created... However proud you may be of the "thing" you created your just a future Darwin award winner if you keep using that..

Get the correct tools for the job dont half ass it!

golfprowanabe

Established Member
That is exactly why the plywood is there. There is no way this car is going to collapse forward.

Mommy, is my spelling and punctuation to your satisfaction?

I couldn't get a real good look to see how thick that plywood is, but that definately helps with the triagulation as long as it's bolted at the top and bottom of every upright ( which I'm sure you've probably done). How thick is the plywood Mike??

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
How did you build that? Did you use nails or bolts? (You may have already mentioned it, but I didn't see it)

Anyhow, this is just me, but you wouldn't be able to get me underneath that thing if I was to work on it. Those plywood braces may not be enough. I would install cross braces between each support leg as well as between the left and right side of the box to prevent collapsing side-ways. I mean we're talking almost 4000 lbs here. I'd be on the safe side if I was you. I would go as far as installing a few cross braces on the ramp itself.

Other than that, it looks good.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Lincmrk6
This is spreading through forums like wildfire...

bassin247 This whole thread needs to go away.... What you have made is unsafe and is going to hurt someone... most likely yourself...

You are promoting something that is UNSAFE there is no if and or butts about it.....

You need to be a little more responcible in what you post someone may try to repeat the monstrosity you have created... However proud you may be of the "thing" you created your just a future Darwin award winner if you keep using that..

Get the correct tools for the job dont half ass it!

What are the right tools? A lift in my driveway? Do you think I am the first person to make something like this? I saw a similar creation in a pic and decided to make my own. If I didn't think it was safe I wouldn't be betting under it. I am a mechanical engineer, not a dummy. Have a nice day.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
damn mike...ur scary bro. couldnt ya make it just a little wider?

great idea tho :beer:

Make what wider? The wood that support the car? They are currently 10'' wide, the width of my tires I've been thinking about putting a 2x12 on top of the 2x10 and using 2x4s to make a little channel to drive up. This ramp is safe... A lot safer than jack stands or rhino ramps. I don't care what any of these self proclaimed structural engineers or "master carpenters" say. My father was in the carpenters union for 30 years. If he says it's fine and I say it's fine then I'm going to work under the "thing".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread