Paul's 2011 Coyote Build Thread

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
I bet this car is really glad you found her, very nice and detailed build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way2QWK

Established Member
Nice shifting! I didn't make it out to this track day. Was planning on going with some friends with fast turbo Buicks but their junk was down like always. How much did it cost to run?

Famine

Established Member
Loving the build thread man. Makes me wish i would have taken more pictures along the way so i could have made one worth reading through. Keep up the good work. Ps, cant believe the paint on the calipers are holding up. I went with powdercoating because i didnt think paint would.

Paul.

Established Member
The next round of upgrades is about to begin. With all the newfound power from the Whipple, I've been a little tentative to beat on the car because I'm afraid things are going to break. At the 1/2 mile races a few weeks ago, I overheated my factory clutch after pounding on it all day, so I knew it wasn't long for this world. At the dragstrip last month, I heard a horrible sound coming from the rearend in the burnout box which I assume was my rear differential hating life. (I have that sound on one of my GoPro videos) At the dragstrip I had to shift into 5th to get through the traps, even on my 29" tall Nittos. At the 1/2 mile, I was just barely below the limiter in 5th at 157 mph. Some longer gears were definitely in order. To that end, I've bought some stuff to fortify the drivetrain a bit. I'm hoping the factory trans lasts a while. This cost a few thousand bucks, but should do the trick for what I want the car to do for a while.

Here's the list of parts:
- DSS Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
- McLeod Aluminum Flywheel
- McLeod Street Extreme Clutch
- McLeod Stainless Clutch Line w/Bleeder
- Wavetrac Differential
- FRPP 3.31 gears
- FRPP Front Hubs w/ ARP 3" Studs
- Spindle Nuts
- ARP 3" Rear Studs
- Open-ended Lug Nuts

Drivetrain%20Parts%201_zpsmlnjrjrk.jpg

Drivetrain%20Parts%203_zps5hoko2kp.jpg

Drivetrain%20Parts%202_zps6cqeu5hi.jpg

I'm hoping to get all this stuff installed in the next month or so. I may be attending another private track day in February, and will be doing the 1/2 mile races again in March. If I make it to the dragstrip, I'll give it a shot on my Weld big 'n' littles and try to get into the low 11s. I'm also curious if the 3.31 gears will improve my fuel mileage at all. I'm getting 14.04 mpg average right now around town, but of course, driving like an asshole doesn't help. Second gear smashes never get old with the Whipple. It hooks and books.

Yay racecar stuff!

Paul.

Paul.

Established Member
@Paul. I thought I read somewhere you were thinking of adding oil catch cans to this set up... did you - are you - will you?

If so - what did you end up with?

I would assume this rig would work fine on our year cars as the engine and blower are basically the same...

http://m.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-plug-n-play-catch-can-separator-15-whipple-css.html

I haven't done catch cans yet as I've been focused on getting the drivetrain upgrades where they need to be. That setup looks like it might work, but I don't know how it would mount in the '11-'14 cars. I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to retrofit.

Loving the build thread man. Makes me wish i would have taken more pictures along the way so i could have made one worth reading through. Keep up the good work. Ps, cant believe the paint on the calipers are holding up. I went with powdercoating because i didnt think paint would.

Thanks! The caliper still look like they did when I painted them years ago. Keep in mind, I used high-grade automotive paint, not rattle can garbage. The paint supplies cost me a couple hundred bucks and there's like 8 or 9 coats of clear on it if I remember correctly. All the nasty brake crud just comes right off with soap and water.

Paul.

scottL

Established Member
Nice build thread Paul, just now found it on the home page. If SVT Performance considers this a "long construction project" I wonder how they would describe your fox build write up?:rolleyes::D

Paul.

Established Member
Haha, the notch will be ten years this November. If I didn't recently spend $15,000 on the Coyote, it'd be done. I'll get there. It'll be a fun cruiser and I'll look cool. :)

Paul.

Paul.

Established Member
I've been doing some traveling lately, so a buddy of mine agreed to help me out and install some parts while I was in India for work. All this stuff was just finished up on January 28th, but I've not had a chance to post the pics he snapped during the install.

The transmission has been out once before when it was replaced by Ford under warranty since it was whining since the day I got it. Predictably, the techs their did a shitty job on the install and managed to completely strip/cross thread/destroy the bolts holding the exhaust on. Thanks Rodeo Ford in Phoenix for being a bunch of hacks. My buddy had to spend hours cutting the nuts off to remove the factory cats/h-pipe.

Anyway, with that done, I'm told the install went pretty easily.

The flywheel had a broken dowel pin when it was removed.
Old%20Flywheel_zpspmfkehbx.jpg

My buddy Joe made this cool pilot bearing installer on his lathe, and installed a new HD pilot bearing from Ford.
Pilot%20Bearing%20Installer_zpsvad5vbae.jpg

Crankshaft_zpsnawqctuf.jpgPilot%20Bearing%20Installer%202_zpse689vrlq.jpg

Pilot%20Bearing%20Installed_zpspq1avc4l.jpg

Then the new McLeod aluminum flywheel with ARP bolts.
Flywheel%20Installed_zpsy2gtj92s.jpg

McLeod Street Extreme Clutch Disc
Clutch%20Disc%20Installed_zpslq3skm3t.jpg

...and pressure plate with new OEM Ford bolts.
Pressure%20Plate%20Installed_zpsuwomhbzb.jpg

New OEM Ford slave cylinder.
Slave%20Cylinder_zpsvhslf3ur.jpg

I read some stories about weaknesses in the bolts provided by DSS that hold their billet adapter to the pinion flange. Rather than worry about it, like everything on my car, I overbuilt it. New grade 12.9 bolts were installed. Of course, they were to tall, so Joe turned 'em down in his lathe so they'd fit flush.

Turn down for what?
Bolts%20Turned%20Down_zpspirrcc5q.jpg

Adapter%20Installed_zpsphz4afxv.jpg

Bolts%20Installed_zpsynuzctpv.jpg

DSS carbon fiber driveshaft.
Driveshaft%201_zpsn1lzbnbg.jpg

Driveshaft%202_zpspuekezfd.jpg

Driveshaft%203_zpsqf0khnjj.jpg

McLeod braided clutch line with bleeder.
Braided%20Clutch%20Line_zpswp6qpqdg.jpg

Right now my car is at another buddy's house getting my 3.31 gears installed (replacing my factory 3.73s) along with a Wavetrac differential, all new bearings/seals, and ARP axle studs. A little later, I'll get some pics of the new separate clutch reservoir. It's a very clean install and I'm pleased with it.

The new clutch is nice. A little chattery at first, but that's to be expected when switching from my ultra-smooth OEM clutch. The pedal feel is excellent, and it's nice to have the fluid in the reservoir divorced from the brake system. I think that hot brake fluid may have been the culprit for some very difficult shifting during the last 1/2 mile event. On my last pass, I couldn't get the car in gear smoothly/at all and was struggling... against a 2000 horsepower Lamborghini no less.

Thanks to Terry at Beefcakeracing for the great deal on a lot of expensive parts. Thanks to my buddy Joe Telesca for the install. He is incredibly meticulous.

Can't wait for the next 1/4 mile event. Now that the drivetrain has been fortified, I'll feel much better about installing my race wheels and letting it rip off the line. :)

Paul.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
3.31s are a game changer in the 1/4... you'll love not having to shift into 5th.

ATRAIS

Established Member
Damn dude, nice build thread! Love what you did with the seats especially and can't go wrong with a Whipple haha. Keep up the good work!

SUPERVENOM03

Established Member
Wow, very nice thread and beautiful car.
I'm really liking that GT 500 steering wheel and will look into it for my car.
You did a great job, and your work appears factory.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Great thread! Thanks for all the clear, sharp pics and details..... :)

I am about an inch away from buying a 2011 GT that has a Roush Stage 3 S/C, so this thread is big help.

Mat5.0

Established Member
For your next big ticket purchase, go with a t56 Magnum XL. JPC sells a complete conversion kit for about 5500 if you opt for the top of the line parts with it (lots of options). Lots of flywheel/clutch/driveshaft options but man, this transmission is sweet and I'll never have to worry about it again. I was more or less forced into it after I broke 5th gear on my MT-82.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice build. Just curious why you went with the Wavetrac vs an Eaton Tru-Trac?

I know there is a Ford P/N Torsen T2R that goes for about $800 and is stronger than the Torsen aftermarket T2R's.

I'm looking to upgrade my A6 3:15's to 3:31 and getting away from a clutch pack diff since I want to take it to Track Days 4-6 times a year. I'd love to put in a Circle-D 2C converter but that is not the best setup for Track Days.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
How did the 3.31's work out with respect to your 1/4-mile times. How did they affect your street driveability?

Users who are viewing this thread