Paul's 2011 Coyote Build Thread

Paul.

Established Member
man your car is done right and absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks man. I've been trying to ensure that every mod still kept the car a "super nice car" and didn't compromise its primary job as a daily driver.

Southeast valley here. I do go to the Scottsdale pavilions car show every now and again. You are welcome to check out the vmp setup. Once I switch to NT05R's maybe I'll actually get a little traction.

I've not been at the Pavillions in quite a while - I need to go. You ever go to Cars & Coffee? I'll also be at the 1/2 mile races in Gila Bend on March 12th, and Firebird for Friday Night Drags on the 18th. Have any plans for either of those? Your car would hurt a lot of rich guy's feelings at the 1/2 mile races. That would be cool.

Thank you for getting more sidewall on there haha. Car looks damn good, and I loved reading through how detailed you are with everything!

Yeah, it took a couple tries to get the tire combo setup right. lol

excellent thread, thanks for sharing!!

Thanks man. :)

I just ordered Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber plates. Contemplating whether I want to swap out the hubs for the Ford Racing ones with ARP studs while I'm at it. My '89 notch has the long studs, and I like them.

Paul.

Hodor

Established Member
Fantastic build thread - extremely detailed, and plenty of humor! Outstanding job on your car, sir!

Paul.

Established Member
After mounting my race wheels on the car and discovering that the tires on my street wheels were dangerously worn, I spent the following week working to remedy the situation. I ordered adjustable camber plates from Maximum Motorsports and new tires from Discount. Last Saturday I did the camber plate install in preparation for new tires and an alignment.

I bought the plates from Latemodel Restoration, read the instructions, and mocked them up in preparation for the install.
1%20Camber%20Plates_zpsf9bjyw2k.jpg

Put the car up in the air.
2%20Install%20Begins_zps9ncjegkw.jpg

Here's why all of this started. I thought it might be a problem with toe more than camber (which it was) but nonetheless, I wanted camber plates to be absolutely sure. These tires lasted me 22,663 miles so they didn't go away right away, but still prematurely. They are Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 275/30R20.
3%20Tire%20Shredded_zpsirgk0ejd.jpg

Then I yanked the strut, which doesn't take much.
4%20Strut%20Removed_zpswka67jr6.jpg

Don't let your brakes droop or you could damage the lines.
5%20Strut%20Removed_zpszicl05wd.jpg

Grab your rental spring compressor, an impact wrench (or a regular one if you lack such things) and squish the spring so you can remove the mount.
6%20Spring%20Compressor_zpstghkon7h.jpg

The GT500 mounts are different than OEM 11-14 mounts. These little arrows point "out" toward the sides of the car.
7%20Arrows%20Out_zpsaagoijzd.jpg

I found out that the Maximum Motorsports camber plates require a portion of the OEM 11-14 mounts. This would have been a problem if I wasn't so organized. I had my OEM strut assemblies neatly tucked away in a box from when I removed them on December 22, 2012. :)
8%20OEM%20Struts_zpspbf9i2by.jpg

Here you can see how much different the GT500 mounts are from the OEM 11-14 mounts.
9%20OEM%20vs%20GT500%20Mounts_zpsex7et3p5.jpg

From here, you have to separate the "halves" of the OEM strut mounts. OEM 11-14 on bottom, the Shelby mount up top. The spring perches have a bearing on them that the camber plate can rotate freely on.
10%20Separated%20Mounts%20vs%20GT500_zpsa9yi8l1l.jpg

Here you can see the camber plate attached to the OEM spring perch.
11%20Camber%20Plate%20w%20Mount_zpsxcj0qyso.jpg

You have to add spacers on the top and bottom of the strut that MM provides. Don't forget the bumpstops and dust boots either.
12%20Install%20Spacer_zpsvwdghf6b.jpg

13%20Struts%20Clean_zpscirqk46m.jpg

While I was taking pictures, I heard a rustling in the tree right outside my garage. Since I back up to a mountain, there's always some fun wildlife around. I went to investigate. My roadrunner friend, who I've seen before, was on his daily hunt for the big carpenter bees that fly around in the tree. He had another friend with him too, but I didn't get a picture.
14%20Roadrunner_zpsqu6subvv.jpg

15%20Roadrunner_zps0ejzfnuw.jpg

Put the strut assemblies back in place, bolt everything up and BAM! You're done.
17%20Installed_zpsdu5faoap.jpg

16%20Camber%20Plate%20Installed_zpsspkxy8gj.jpg

When I was ordering parts, I was checking my records and realized it was time to replace my cabin filter. Got one from Amazon for $16. I popped it out and swapped it real quick too while the hood was open.
19%20Cabin%20Filter%20Compared_zpsoiecmqfc.jpg

18%20Cabin%20Filter_zps6n1sjf61.jpg

Then on Tuesday my tires came in finally after waiting over a week. Nitto NT05s in 275/35R20. A little taller than my previous Hankooks. I like them.
20%20New%20Tires%20Installed_zps59ojunag.jpg

They match my Nitto NT05Rs out back in 315/35R20 that I just replaced a few weeks ago. The day after I got the tires installed, I dropped it off for an alignment. I did indeed have some toe problems, but everything should be good now. Hopefully I'm good on tires for quite some time, because all of this was a rather expensive endeavor.
21%20All%20Complete_zpsisco8v5d.jpg

Paul.

Epic Fail

Established Member
Great thread! The tires fill the wheel well nicely. I've been considering going with a slightly taller sidewall as well. This reminds me I need to order a new cabin filter myself..

Paul.

Established Member
do all the 2012 have cabin filter?

I would presume that all of the 11-14 cars have them in the same place.

love the welds ! nice build

Thanks man. Me too!

Great thread! The tires fill the wheel well nicely. I've been considering going with a slightly taller sidewall as well. This reminds me I need to order a new cabin filter myself..

I like the taller tires too. I think 275/35R20 and 315/35R20 are the perfect setup on a Coyote. It took me a while to get here. Hah!

Paul.

Quorra

Paul -
Would you happen to know if those Roush Rear Splitters (MPN# 421405 for 2013-2014) would fit the stock rear bumper of your 2012 or did that mod only fit because of your upgrade to the Boss 302 Rear Diffuser?

Also, might anyone happen to know where I can fetch one of these chin spoilers??
Or perhaps what brand or manufacturer they are so I can track one down...

1-23.jpg

2-24.jpg

3-24.jpg

4-21.jpg

5-19.jpg

Last edited:

Paul.

Established Member
I can't verify the rear splitters will fit a factory rear valance, but I suspect they would. All you need is a "straight section" of plastic for them to screw/stick to. The splitters are held on with double-sided tape and a couple of screws. To install them, you just drill the rear valance to install the speed nuts, clean everything off, then peel-and-stick the splitters and screw them down. It's pretty simple.

I'm not familiar with that front splitter, and have never seen it before. Maybe someone else can help.

Paul.

Paul.

Established Member
If I do one, it'll be a Stage III VMP, but it'll be a while at this point. I've been focusing all my time and money on my old notch. That project is 9 years running.

Paul.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Wow great build thread, would read again! I love the very OEM+ route you're taking with the build. Very ambitious with the GT500 seat covers too. I probably would have just settled for Boss 302 rear seat coves to try to match the OEM covers on the Ford Racing seats but I get lazy like that.

Paul.

Established Member
So, there's a quick update. This will be installed in the next few weeks. I'll post up more pics and details later. :burnout:

Out%20of%20the%20Box_zpscxkpbirv.jpg

Paul.

Paul.

Established Member
Mostly because it's badass. :)

It was either this or Armageddon twin turbo, and this has a much more straightforward factory-style install, so Whipple it is.

Paul.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Mostly because it's badass. :)

It was either this or Armageddon twin turbo, and this has a much more straightforward factory-style install, so Whipple it is.

Paul.

Yea man it is pretty BAD. If it wasn't for the boss IM we would be looking at one of these!

Paul.

Established Member
I refrained from modifying my car's powertrain since I bought it in early 2012 specifically because a blower was the only mod that made sense to me. I thought about doing intake/tune/exhaust and all that, but the power-to-dollar gain from the blower, combined with the factory-type install, and wanting to avoid 'spending the money twice' made me hold off.

I've owned 5.0 mustangs for half my life, and many of them very heavily modified. It's only now at the ripe old age of 36 that I'm starting to get sensible about this stuff. Hah!

I'm very impressed with the kit. It's incredibly complete and well thought-through.

Paul.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Paul -
Would you happen to know if those Roush Rear Splitters (MPN# 421405 for 2013-2014) would fit the stock rear bumper of your 2012 or did that mod only fit because of your upgrade to the Boss 302 Rear Diffuser?

Also, might anyone happen to know where I can fetch one of these chin spoilers??
Or perhaps what brand or manufacturer they are so I can track one down...

1-23.jpg

2-24.jpg

3-24.jpg

4-21.jpg

5-19.jpg

Does anybody know who make this. It looks good!

Users who are viewing this thread