Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Updated the UOA chart in post #1.

I'm watching Pennzoil Ultra close. So far, I'm extremely impressed with the results of their API SN reformulation. The new Gas To Liquid base stock is returning stellar results.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Here is the UOA submitted from a member in Canada. I appreciate this one, as Pennzoil Ultra API SN is really showing excellent results.

2011GTMultipleSamples_zpsddc5c041.jpg

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I read through this entire thread and found it to be very informative but yet I remain a tad confused, at least as it concerns my specific region and climate. I'm fairly convinced that AMSoil is the preffered synthetic brand, however my concern is which 'weight' to use?
I live in north Jersey, and will likely never start the vehicle if the temp is below 40*. But on those rare warmer days when the temp gets there I will be tempted to at least hear the roar for a minute or two.
My main concern is that when the car is sitting in possible single degree weather for a few days at a time, how will this affect the viscosity? or will the engine be fine once the temp hits 40* or so again?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I read through this entire thread and found it to be very informative but yet I remain a tad confused, at least as it concerns my specific region and climate. I'm fairly convinced that AMSoil is the preffered synthetic brand, however my concern is which 'weight' to use?
I live in north Jersey, and will likely never start the vehicle if the temp is below 40*. But on those rare warmer days when the temp gets there I will be tempted to at least hear the roar for a minute or two.
My main concern is that when the car is sitting in possible single degree weather for a few days at a time, how will this affect the viscosity? or will the engine be fine once the temp hits 40* or so again?

Questioned answered

This recommendation list will cover all seasons for your car, from the harshest winter days, to the hottest summer days. The best part is, the oil only has to be changed once a year, or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first.

8 quart fill (Coyote GT)
8.5 quart fill (Track Pack GT & Boss 302)

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your car is 100% stock, never raced, driven like a grandma, no matter the climate….use this.

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 - If your car is driven year round up north in very cold temperatures and is lightly modded....use this.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - If your car is moderate to heavily modded, used in hotter climate states, or never driven during winter months in northern states...use this.

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you road race your car....use this.

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners - If you do not road race your car, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. 5W-50 spec for this engine is overkill and results in excessive oil pressure.*

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 - If your car is modded to the max and producing HP beyond 600 rwhp, especially E85 fuel engines...use this.

Amsoil EaO17 - This oil filter outperforms any filter on the market.

If you have the Getrag MT-82 6 speed manual

Amsoil Synchromesh - requires 3 quarts. Use this if you road race your car, or you are experiencing grinding.

If you have the 6R80 automatic 6 speed, this stuff will make it survive the worst torture.

Amsoil LV Synthetic ATF - 12 quart total fill

and for the rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - requires 2 quarts

Don't forget the friction modifier

Amsoil Slip Lock - use all four ounces

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners. If you have the Torsen differential in your car, do not use friction modifier.*

Bottle Hand Pump - makes pumping new fluid into the transmission and rear differential very easy.

UOA testing kit - we have dedicated UOA threads to compare everyone's reports.

UOA thread

Last thing, do NOT pay retail for Amsoil...EVER! This is my secret to you on how to by all Amsoil products at dealer cost (saves 25% off retail).

Preferred Customer

If you ever have any questions, I'm always here to answer them. Just send me a PM.

Troy

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I updated the first post with a new addition. Red Line 5W-20 was submitted from the 5.0 owner who previously tested Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30.

Results are the same, and can see his engine has settled in for the rest of its days. Updated UOA below.

2011GTMultipleSamples_zpse8b8446c.jpg

Red Line showed slighty more oil consumption than Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30. That could be due to slighty higher NOACK and a bit lower viscosity. Silicon on this sample looks superb and lets me know air filtration on this car is working extremely well. Oxidation is high, most likely due to heavy ester content on the lubricant. However, I did notice the lab testing this lubricant to be about 5% more viscosity that Red Line lists as virgin on their website. Hard to say if it's oxidation causing it, or testing tolerances. No matter, the engine is still wearing very well.

Last edited:

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
this needs to be sticky'd.

waiting out the rest of my RP 5W30. it does good, but ill be switching to Amsoil 5W30 for the next change.

JDos1

Established Member
Got my latest UOA back. This UOA was with Valvoline Synpower either 5w-30 or 10w-30 (not 5w-20 as the UOA says) and a Napa Gold (Wix) 5702 filter. Ran this oil for right at 6,100 miles.

SCAN0026_zps6be9a37b.jpg

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Jacob, wear metals are low, as expected, and viscosity sheared 12% (third highest on the chart so far). No warning signs in your engine. Would still like to see TBN on these samples, but better than no sample.

Top tier 5W-20 and 5W-30 lubricants don't have shearing problems like lower quality 5W-20/30 blends, 0W-40, and 5W-50 lubricants.

I have already added this to the master chart. Will have it posted soon as the other UOAs I'm expecting arrive.

Last edited:

JDos1

Established Member
Jacob, wear metals are low, as expected, and viscosity sheared 12% (third highest on the chart so far). No warning signs in your engine. Would still like to see TBN on these samples, but better than no sample.

Top tier 5W-20 and 5W-30 lubricants don't have shearing problems like lower quality 5W-20/30 blends, 0W-40, and 5W-50 lubricants.

I have already added this to the master chart. Will have it posted soon as the other UOAs I'm expecting arrive.

Sounds good. I got the Valvoline on a super cheap deal. Couldn't pass it up. I'm running a 50/50 blend of OE series 5w-20 and 10w-30 right now. Will run it 5,500 miles to the 55,000 mile mark on my car and will then switch back over to Signature Series.

I sent you an email by the way. Contained another UOA just for the heck of it. Not Mustang related though.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Sounds good. I got the Valvoline on a super cheap deal. Couldn't pass it up. I'm running a 50/50 blend of OE series 5w-20 and 10w-30 right now. Will run it 5,500 miles to the 55,000 mile mark on my car and will then switch back over to Signature Series.

I sent you an email by the way. Contained another UOA just for the heck of it. Not Mustang related though.

I saw that, will have a reply soon.

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member
Updated the UOA chart in post #1.

I'm watching Pennzoil Ultra close. So far, I'm extremely impressed with the results of their API SN reformulation. The new Gas To Liquid base stock is returning stellar results.

Good to know. Been running Pennzoil ultra the last 2 changes. Unleashed Beast, next change stick with 5w20 or better to switch to 10w30?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Beast, so with a 2014 GT Track Pack in Florida, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30 or AMO 10W-40?

Correct, if you are not road course racing this car for extended sessions, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. If you are, Amsoil AMO 10W-40.

Good to know. Been running Pennzoil ultra the last 2 changes. Unleashed Beast, next change stick with 5w20 or better to switch to 10w30?

That depends on your driving habits, mods, and use of the vehicle. Give me details.

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
Beast, have you seen much lately on Penz Platinum?

BTW, I should have a UOA for you soon.

Last edited:

texican

Established Member
Thanks for all of the information, this was a good read. My car will be getting an oil change soon and I have a test kit coming. Considering my car gets driven hard on occasion and will see a few nitrous passes down the strip from time to time, how many miles would you feel comfortable going between oil changes. I'm in Texas running amsoil 10w-30.

alcarames

Established Member
Great thread very informative! Thank you for taking the time to do this and answer our questions. That being said, coming from the euro cars where they always seemed to use 0w or 5w40 euro blends what would you think of say M1 0w-40 in the coyote engines?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks for all of the information, this was a good read. My car will be getting an oil change soon and I have a test kit coming. Considering my car gets driven hard on occasion and will see a few nitrous passes down the strip from time to time, how many miles would you feel comfortable going between oil changes. I'm in Texas running amsoil 10w-30.

The severe service schedule for ATM 10W-30 is one year or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. Those nitrous passes down the track are not as abusive on Amsoil as you think.

Great thread very informative! Thank you for taking the time to do this and answer our questions. That being said, coming from the euro cars where they always seemed to use 0w or 5w40 euro blends what would you think of say M1 0w-40 in the coyote engines?

Not my first choice, as it's too viscous for most applications in the Coyote. Maybe only in the Boss 302 or Track Pack GT for road racing applications. The formulation rapidly shears to a heavy 30 grade.

2012GTCS

Established Member
Troy,

Your opinions on Mobil 1 Ext Perf?? I like it cause its readily available and on sale a lot. How does it stack up to the AMSOIL? Decent or not even close?

I'll probably switch to 5w30 for my next change, possibly the 10. I'm slightly modded, car is driven between 30-100°, up north but nice weather only. I do usually run the car very hard on the street tho. Lots of high RPM visits every time its driven.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread