Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Pennzoil Ultra (API SN) will stomp Mobil 1 Extended Performance. If I didn't have Amsoil, I would use Ultra. Amsoil Signature Series is my first choice.

jojobee

Established Member
Questioned answered

This recommendation list will cover all seasons for your car, from the harshest winter days, to the hottest summer days. The best part is, the oil only has to be changed once a year, or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first.

8 quart fill (Coyote GT)
8.5 quart fill (Track Pack GT & Boss 302)

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your car is 100% stock, never raced, driven like a grandma, no matter the climate….use this.

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 - If your car is driven year round up north in very cold temperatures and is lightly modded....use this.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - If your car is moderate to heavily modded, used in hotter climate states, or never driven during winter months in northern states...use this.

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you road race your car....use this.

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners - If you do not road race your car, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. 5W-50 spec for this engine is overkill and results in excessive oil pressure.*

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 - If your car is modded to the max and producing HP beyond 600 rwhp, especially E85 fuel engines...use this.

Amsoil EaO17 - This oil filter outperforms any filter on the market.

If you have the Getrag MT-82 6 speed manual

Amsoil Synchromesh - requires 3 quarts. Use this if you road race your car, or you are experiencing grinding.

If you have the 6R80 automatic 6 speed, this stuff will make it survive the worst torture.

Amsoil LV Synthetic ATF - 12 quart total fill

and for the rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - requires 2 quarts

Don't forget the friction modifier

Amsoil Slip Lock - use all four ounces

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners. If you have the Torsen differential in your car, do not use friction modifier.*

Bottle Hand Pump - makes pumping new fluid into the transmission and rear differential very easy.

UOA testing kit - we have dedicated UOA threads to compare everyone's reports.

UOA thread

Last thing, do NOT pay retail for Amsoil...EVER! This is my secret to you on how to by all Amsoil products at dealer cost (saves 25% off retail).

Preferred Customer

If you ever have any questions, I'm always here to answer them. Just send me a PM.

Troy

Hey Troy,

I followed your advice and replaced my GT transmission fluid which was the dual clutch TSB fluid for the Amsoil synchromesh.

At the same time i did relocation bracket and a Dynotech driveshaft.

My issue now is that i hear a lot more whine than before and could swear it comes from the transmission.
I dont think a driveshaft could do that.

Is it possible that from switching the dual clutch to MTF i could hear much more whine than before ?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Is it possible that from switching the dual clutch to MTF i could hear much more whine than before ?

You are the second person I've heard comment about this. The MT-82 Getrag is a noisy design, which is why originally Ford used heavy gear oil to quiet it down. It makes you wonder, what is in the dual clutch fluid that limits gear roll over noise.

Ford and their mysterious "additives" to quiet things like gear roll over and valve train tick.

If the noise is too much, I'd switch back to DCT fluid and test again. If that solves the issues, I am removing my recommendation for Synchromesh for use in this transmission.

jojobee

Established Member
I'll probably give it a try cause i want to know where that noise is coming from.
I just a shame to waste such a good product a pay for Motorcraft oil at full price.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
You are the second person I've heard comment about this. The MT-82 Getrag is a noisy design, which is why originally Ford used heavy gear oil to quiet it down. It makes you wonder, what is in the dual clutch fluid that limits gear roll over noise.

Ford and their mysterious "additives" to quiet things like gear roll over and valve train tick.

If the noise is too much, I'd switch back to DCT fluid and test again. If that solves the issues, I am removing my recommendation for Synchromesh for use in this transmission.

I would not remove it. I replaced ny DCT fluid with synchromesh and had no noise happen after.

My transmission shifted great before and made no noise prior to switching.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jojobee

Established Member
I dont want to but if its not the fluid then what is it causing the whine suddenly ?
I would prefer not fight with the Ford dealer over transmission noise with all my mods so i need to be 100% sure beforehand.

texican

Established Member
Finally got the analysis back. This was on Motorcraft 5w-20 mostly daily driving with 1 or 2 trips to the track and a few runs down the freeway. ;) Royal Purple 5w-30 went in this change so that'll be the next one I send in. UnleashedBeast, is there a certain oil analysis company you prefer that maybe gives more information than others or will this suffice? Also, what's you take on my report? Thanks.

f8fa2d6d-816d-483b-8343-d3a30ef1b554_zps49b95c8f.jpg

Pilks

Established Member
Finally got the analysis back. This was on Motorcraft 5w-20 mostly daily driving with 1 or 2 trips to the track and a few runs down the freeway. ;) Royal Purple 5w-30 went in this change so that'll be the next one I send in. UnleashedBeast, is there a certain oil analysis company you prefer that maybe gives more information than others or will this suffice? Also, what's you take on my report? Thanks.

f8fa2d6d-816d-483b-8343-d3a30ef1b554_zps49b95c8f.jpg

Sorry is that

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (US)
XO-5W20-QSP (US)

Or

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (US)
XO-5W20-QFS (US)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I prefer to use Amsoil's testing kit. Shipping is prepaid, TBN and Oxidation testing is included for free, unlike Blackstone. They charge extra for TBN testing, and Oxidation testing isn't offered that I recall.

Amsoil's kit ships to Polaris Labs, an external third party lab.

Texican, I'd like to see your sample of Royal Purple 5W-30 when you change it (assuming you are talking about non-HPS Royal Purple). I hope it serves the Coyote better than it did a recent UOA from a Condor (5.4L GT500 engine). Everything looks average. Wear metal ppm was a bit higher than I expected and the lubricant did shear a little. You wouldn't expect a 5W-20 to shear, however....what could you expect from the cheap base stock Motorcraft semi-synthetic bought for less than $20.00 a gallon.

I have this UOA and others saved to my desktop, will have them added to the UOA chart asap. Thank you again.

Last edited:

poof100

Established Member
Unleashed-

I'm currently running the AMO 10W-40 in my Boss 302. Mostly stock.

However, I am planning to put on a Single Turbo system and plan to do an occasional drag strip session with it. Would you recommend sticking with the AMO 10W-40 or trying AMSOIL's Dominator 10W-30 racing oil to help with the additional heat of the Turbo? How does the Dominator RD30QT compare to the ATM 10W-30 or the AMO 10W-40?

Thanks!

Last edited:

saunupe1911

Established Member
OK guys I've got a question out of the norm that I know a lot of us may be wondering.

Which is the best between the Amsoil, standard Motorcraft, or Ford racing oil filter for our Coyotes? I've heard that the standard Motorcraft more than gets job the done. Thoughts

saunupe1911

Established Member
Also, has anyone had trouble with the dealership installing anything other than 5w-20 or 5w-30? I've got some Amsoil Signature 10w-30 and I'm wondering if the dealership will look at me sideways.

poof100

Established Member
Also, has anyone had trouble with the dealership installing anything other than 5w-20 or 5w-30? I've got some Amsoil Signature 10w-30 and I'm wondering if the dealership will look at me sideways.

The idiots at mine said "you know Ford calls for 5-50 on the boss", etc. They even noted it on my service receipt, "not ford recommended oil"

Once the Turbo goes on, won't matter, but I thought it was funny. Just tell them to test the AMSOIL against their "recommended" oil and see what happens.

texican

Established Member
Sorry is that

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil (US)
XO-5W20-QSP (US)

Or

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (US)
XO-5W20-QFS (US)

Synthetic Blend, I didn't notice that, sorry

My wife took the car in and they questioned her about it to the point where she called me to make sure. I just told her I didn't want their advice, just an oil change and rotate, lol. Like mentioned above, they'll probably just annotate that it wasn't the recommended oil.

jojobee

Established Member

I am removing Amsoil synchromesh today cause the whine is really annoying.
I am putting back Ford dct fluid and will know immediately if i wasted 100$ worth of fluid or not....
I'll report back later today with my findings.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unleashed-

I'm currently running the AMO 10W-40 in my Boss 302. Mostly stock.

However, I am planning to put on a Single Turbo system and plan to do an occasional drag strip session with it. Would you recommend sticking with the AMO 10W-40 or trying AMSOIL's Dominator 10W-30 racing oil to help with the additional heat of the Turbo? How does the Dominator RD30QT compare to the ATM 10W-30 or the AMO 10W-40?

Thanks!

Here is what I would do.....

Install a reliable oil pressure gauge. Choose the lubricant that will not hot idle lower than 20-25 PSI. Amsoil 10W-30 should achieve that, however....best to "verify". I'm also talking about during the hottest months of the year. My GT500 would idle between 27-32 PSI hot during the hottest summer months, all while using Amsoil RD30 10W-30 (Dominator).

You also want to verify that the engine produces oil pressure in excess of 80 PSI at WOT (again, hot). The oil pump bypass should open around 90 PSI. You will notice that oil pressure will plateau around there and level off, despite RPM still increasing.

OK guys I've got a question out of the norm that I know a lot of us may be wondering.

Which is the best between the Amsoil, standard Motorcraft, or Ford racing oil filter for our Coyotes? I've heard that the standard Motorcraft more than gets job the done. Thoughts

Amsoil and Royal Purple oil filters will filter the smallest micron, while not restricting oil flow when compared to a standard cellulose/synthetic blended filter. Nano-Fibers FTW!

My wife took the car in and they questioned her about it to the point where she called me to make sure. I just told her I didn't want their advice, just an oil change and rotate, lol. Like mentioned above, they'll probably just annotate that it wasn't the recommended oil.

There was a Chemist who was using oil pressure testing to see what lubricant was best for "his driving style" in his Ferrari. The owners manual called for 10W-60 (track) and 5W-40 (street). In the end, he was using 5W-20. He was only using the car as a grocery getter, calm street driving for "show". Oil pressure showed that 5W-20 was sufficient for his driving style.

The Ferrari dealer was floored....told him he was going to destroy the engine. He laughed, and carried on.

Last edited:

jojobee

Established Member
I hear that DCT fluid is very expensive.

Oh well....i waisted 100$, the noise i hear was not caused by Amsoil ATF. I switched back to DCT (27$/quart) and the whine is still quite audible.

I did put away my atf in case i want to put it back but am not sure if its a good idea, it has less than 500 miles on it.

Now im probably being paranoid but i feel that its harder to go through the gears with DCT than ATF.

According to Dynotech it could be harmonics going through the ds since its now a one piece instad of the heavy 2 piece one from Ford.

Not sure what my next move will be.....

Users who are viewing this thread