Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
After switching to 10w-30 oil consumption has dropped tremendously and so has the amount caught in the oil separator. Now it's rare for me to get more than 2-3 tablespoons per 5k miles whereas I was catching a tablespoon every 1k miles or so.

The benefits of 1/2 the NOACK Volatility and slightly more viscous formulation.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
The benefits of 1/2 the NOACK Volatility and slightly more viscous formulation.

Unleashed, i know your all about Amsoil, what would be your close 2nd, 3rd place runners for a change?

I really want to try out redline 10w30 here for my next change

JDos1

Established Member
Anything using a Group IV base stock, Redline or Royal Purple would be my best guess as to what he'll say.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I have updated the spreadsheet in post #1.

Thank you to everyone who has submitted a UOA.

I wish Royal Purple would list product specifications on their website, as I have no idea what virgin viscosity is for HPS 5W-30.

JDos1

Established Member
Thanks again for putting this together Troy. I really wish more people would contribute, not only will it help people determine what oil works best in their vehicle, but they also see how well their engine is wearing. I find it very interesting to see how well my oil holds up and am more than thrilled to be 100% certain that my engine is wearing very nicely.

Sinful_5.0

Established Member
Unleashed, you all but got me to dump the dealer maintenance plan when my 14' arrives in early March. I knew the oil changes would be expensive but I'm not so sure I'm wanting that 5w-50 stuff in my track pack'd 5.0 now. Given that I'm in Vegas (blazing hot summers, rarely below 30, Dec. - Mar.), would you recommend the Amsoil 10w-30 or the 10w-40? I'll drive the car hard but will rarely see the track (drag or road). I'll also be adding a Roush TVS within the first 6 months. Will that affect viscosity choice? Finally, since it will come with 5w-50 from the factory, when do you recommend dumping the factory oil in favor of the 10w-30/40? 3,000 miles?

Thanks!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unleashed, you all but got me to dump the dealer maintenance plan when my 14' arrives in early March. I knew the oil changes would be expensive but I'm not so sure I'm wanting that 5w-50 stuff in my track pack'd 5.0 now. Given that I'm in Vegas (blazing hot summers, rarely below 30, Dec. - Mar.), would you recommend the Amsoil 10w-30 or the 10w-40? I'll drive the car hard but will rarely see the track (drag or road). I'll also be adding a Roush TVS within the first 6 months. Will that affect viscosity choice? Finally, since it will come with 5w-50 from the factory, when do you recommend dumping the factory oil in favor of the 10w-30/40? 3,000 miles?

Thanks!

Good call on ditching the service plan. No way I would let them put Motorcraft 5W-50 in my car.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - for street use and drag racing

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 - for extended session road racing

Amsoil EaO17 oil filter - Nano fiber media 98.7% absolute efficiency at 20 microns *FL-500 is only 93.7% efficient at 20 microns*

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Just got my sample back from Horizon (this is the company that Amsoil uses). Not sure exactly what extra info they are looking for. I will try and call them this evening.

This was sampled very early on in the oil's life. 8 months and almost 5,000 miles. This sample has had a rough life. 600 rwhp, multiple trips to 7000 RPMs, one 1200 mile trip from Denver to San Diego. To say the least I was not light on it.

oilanalysis_zps1de2aaec.gif

Last edited:

92hatchlx

Established Member
Just got off the phone with the folks at Horizon. For "Model" under "Product Information" when you are filling out the sample sheet, there is a three letter code that will go in that box so they can compare it to the averages for that oil. I will list them all here for the signature series.

Amsoil Signature Series...

0W-20: ASM
5W-20: ALM
OW-30: AZO
5W-30: ASL
10W-30: ATM

This will save confusion for yourself and the oil lab as I learned the hard way haha.

In the mean time, they are re-evaluating my analysis and will send me an updated one hopefully by the end of the day.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Just got my sample back from Horizon (this is the company that Amsoil uses). Not sure exactly what extra info they are looking for. I will try and call them this evening.

This was sampled very early on in the oil's life. 8 months and almost 5,000 miles. This sample has had a rough life. 600 rwhp, multiple trips to 7000 RPMs, one 1200 mile trip from Denver to San Diego. To say the least I was not light on it.

oilanalysis_zps1de2aaec.gif

Thank you for the UOA.

Horizon is another blanket name for Polaris Labs. Yep, seems you forgot to tell them "ATM 10W-30" so they knew exactly which formulation you were using.

Wear metals are in check, despite your "rough" use of the car. This lubricant held up like a champ. Only 26 ppm of iron after your driving style is impressive. I'd sure love to know how Motorcraft 5W-20 would have responded to the same situation. Not as well I'd bet.

Viscosity didn't shear at all. This is why I love the durability of Amsoil ATM 10W-30. You can't wear this stuff down easily.

TBN is a bit lower than expected for the mileage. I would have expected it to be in the 5 range. No alarm here, as the lubricant still had active additives remaining when you changed it.

Overall a great looking UOA. Your engine likes this lube.

92hatchlx

Established Member
Glad to hear your input! Also noted that I hadn't lost a drop of oil for the entirety of the 5,000 miles. Another win for Amsoil.

Fun4me

Established Member
What kind of Amsoil is recommended for a '12 gt Daily driver that will see a couple of hpde days. I'm in Chicago. No oil or tranny coolers.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
My car eats oil! I was almost 2 quarts low! Well below the bottom dot. I'm at almost 13k miles and my oil was changed at 7500 miles. Is that a lot of oil lost? I had to periodicly add oil before I had my first oil change as well.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
What kind of Amsoil is recommended for a '12 gt Daily driver that will see a couple of hpde days. I'm in Chicago. No oil or tranny coolers.

Do you drive it year round, in sub 32*F weather constantly?

My car eats oil! I was almost 2 quarts low! Well below the bottom dot. I'm at almost 13k miles and my oil was changed at 7500 miles. Is that a lot of oil lost? I had to periodicly add oil before I had my first oil change as well.

Some will say that 1 quart per 2,500 miles isn't terrible consumption, but in my opinion....it's uncalled for. What oil are you using?

Last edited:

Fun4me

Established Member
Yeah, I drive it year-round. I have a heated garage, so that helps. If needed to, I could swap it out around the time I put my winter tires on. The car only sees about 10k miles per year.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
been running RP 5w30 for about 500miles so far. car runs way better on this oil, smooth. couldnt find Amsoil locally in 5w30 so i became a vendor. when the RP is tired ill be going with Amsoil 5w30. also going to switch my SHO over to amsoil too.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Yeah, I drive it year-round. I have a heated garage, so that helps. If needed to, I could swap it out around the time I put my winter tires on. The car only sees about 10k miles per year.

Sent you a PM with a detailed application list for your northern car.

been running RP 5w30 for about 500miles so far. car runs way better on this oil, smooth. couldnt find Amsoil locally in 5w30 so i became a vendor. when the RP is tired ill be going with Amsoil 5w30. also going to switch my SHO over to amsoil too.

I wouldn't worry with trying to find a local dealer when you can buy it online direct at dealer cost.

Preferred Customer

All you have to do is add that to your cart on checkout and the price reduces 25%. It ships to your door in 1 to 2 days via UPS ground.

Send me a PM and I can give you detailed recommendation lists for both cars, if I haven't already done so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread