Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread

JDos1

Established Member
Glad to see there's another UOA here.

I'm at the 5k mark which is what I normally run on non-Amsoil "Synthetics" but I'm going to run it another 1,200 miles so I'll be dead on 50kmiles when I swap back out to Sig Series 10w-30.
Current fill is Valv Synpower 10w-30.

Look for another UOA from me within a month or so.

JDos1

Established Member
Scratch that, make it two weeks for the next UOA. I forgot I had one fill up worth of OEM series (half and half) 5w20 and 10w30 left. Gonna run it from 49k to 55k miles and fill it with Sig Series at that time.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm finally back from out of town work I was doing for my company. Please, if any of you have sent me a UOA and I have not put it on this chart, please let me know so I can get this done today.

The UOA spreadsheet has been updated in post #1 with a Boss 302 OEM sample, and this UOA from a 2012 GT.

AmsoilATM10W-304782miles_zpsab31863b.jpg

TBN seems low for only 4,782 miles of use. I have emailed the owner to see how long the oil was in the sump and if the miles of use are accurate.

Iron ppm wear is also higher than I would have expected, so I am awaiting driving style information.

The lubricant held viscosity.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
This is a newly revised application list I have created. Some hardcore Boss 302 road course competition guys were concerned about using 10W-40 on the course, that it was insufficient. Therefore, I modified my original list to address their concerns. It also reflects me official abandoning Amsoil AMO 10W-40, as the formulation has aged, and XLO's additive package outperforms.

This recommendation list will cover all seasons for your car, from the harshest winter days, to the hottest summer days. The best part is, the oil only has to be changed once a year, or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. *RD30 & RD50 must be changed every 6 months or 5,000 miles*

8 quart fill – GT
8.5 quart fill – Boss 302 and Track Pack GT

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your car is 100% stock, never raced, driven like a grandma, or short trip driven, no matter the climate….use this. *Mustang GT only*

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 - If your car is driven year round up north in very cold temperatures with bolt on mods, street/drag raced during the summer, and you want one oil for year round use....use this.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - If your car is moderate to heavily modded, used in hotter climate states, or never driven during winter months in northern states...use this. *If you always short trip the car, use Amsoil AZO or ALM instead (never get the oil up to full temperature)*

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 - If your street car is modded to the max and producing HP beyond 600 rwhp, turbo or Supercharged, especially E85 fuel engines...use this.

Amsoil XLO 10W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, driving it mostly on the street, and you close course run your car for the experience (learning - short heats)....use this.

Amsoil AMR 5W-50 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you close course race your car in competition for extended sessions, or you are concerned about warranty compliance…use this. This lubricant is best suited when pushing your car to the edge of cooling limits from sustained high rpm operation. *Not optimal for short trip, grocery getting street duties*

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners - If you do not road race your car, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. 5W-50 spec for this engine is overkill and results in excessive oil pressure for street use only.*

Amsoil EaO11 - This in an equivalent of a Motorcraft FL820 oil filter and will outperform any other full flow spin on filter. Royal Purple uses the same filter (20-820). The Coyote and Roadrunner spec an EaO17 (FL500), however the EaO11 has an advantage in gallon per minute flow for higher performance engines.

Amsoil Synchromesh - requires 3 quarts. Use this if you road race your car, or you are experiencing poor shifting.

If you have the Auto 6 speed, this stuff will survive the worst torture.

Amsoil LV Synthetic ATF - 12 quart total fill

and for the rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - requires 3 quarts

Don't forget the friction modifier

Amsoil Slip Lock - use all four ounces

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners. If you have the Torsen differential in your car, do not use friction modifier.*

Amsoil Fuel Stabilizer - Use 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons of gasoline when storing your car in the winter.

Bottle Hand Pump - makes pumping new fluid into the transmission and rear differential very easy.

UOA testing kit - we have dedicated UOA threads to compare everyone's reports.

UOA thread

Last thing, do NOT pay retail for Amsoil...EVER! This is how to buy all Amsoil products at wholesale cost (saves 25% off retail).

Preferred Customer

If you ever have any questions, I'm always here to answer them. Just send me a PM.

Troy

Last edited:

fireman02

Established Member
Unleashed going through your oil thread is making me crazy. I have a 13 Track Pack Gt with 1200 miles on it and get that the 5w50 is not so hot for my car. I live in the Chicago area, store my car from Oct 31 to April 1st, will probably put at most 3,000 miles from now until it goes back in storage next fall, will make 1 or 2 trips to the drag strip and might take it to a road race session once this year.
I've narrowed down my search to:
Amsoil 10w30 or 10w40 or
Royal Purple HPS 5w30 or 10w40
For my application which would you recommend? With my former 03 Cobra I always changed the oil before and after putting it in storage, is that overkill/neccessary? If so, is it overkill using/paying for synthetic if I'm only getting 3,000 miles out of the oil?
Thanks

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Fireman02

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 for street and drag racing duties.

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 for extended session road racing.

You will want the extra viscosity while road racing, as lubricant and coolant temps will rise significantly at maintained high speeds.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
I'm finally back from out of town work I was doing for my company. Please, if any of you have sent me a UOA and I have not put it on this chart, please let me know so I can get this done today.

The UOA spreadsheet has been updated in post #1 with a Boss 302 OEM sample, and this UOA from a 2012 GT.

AmsoilATM10W-304782miles_zpsab31863b.jpg

TBN seems low for only 4,782 miles of use. I have emailed the owner to see how long the oil was in the sump and if the miles of use are accurate.

Iron ppm wear is also higher than I would have expected, so I am awaiting driving style information.

The lubricant held viscosity.

Email returned.

kingnut

Established Member
thanks for that updated list unleash! great information and couldnt be written up any more descriptive.

kingnut

Established Member
hey i was also wondering why no 5w-30? for us guys who are down south but still drive our cars when its 20-30 degrees in the winter.

macbar13

Established Member
I told a friend who road races Porsches that I was ordering Amsoil and he mentioned Brad Penn oil? Anybody familiar with this brand? Any UOA? I had never heard of it.

Chaney5.0

It's not normal in my opinion. That's the manufacturer refusing to fix their own mess.
I'd trade any vehicle that consumed that much oil.

My 2012 ram 1500 5.7L Hemi (Semihemi) went through almost 3 qrts ever 2500 miles. I ended up changing a FULL **** can sized Oil seperator 3 ALMOST 4 times before I traded it in at a hair over 10k miles.

2012-12-27_10-21-27_521.jpg

This picture was taken after putting the catch can on at 1300 miles, and then checking at 3500-3600

2012-07-10_19-48-21_898.jpg

was ridiculous

Graboid

Established Member
My 2012 ram 1500 5.7L Hemi (Semihemi) went through almost 3 qrts ever 2500 miles. I ended up changing a FULL **** can sized Oil seperator 3 ALMOST 4 times before I traded it in at a hair over 10k miles.

2012-12-27_10-21-27_521.jpg

This picture was taken after putting the catch can on at 1300 miles, and then checking at 3500-3600

2012-07-10_19-48-21_898.jpg

was ridiculous

Wow!

Graboid

Established Member
I might put 1/2 to 1 quart in over my 6000 mile/1 year oil change intervals if that. Usually not enough in catch can to us small/half paper towel to soak it up.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
That's a lot of oil consumption, however....a dealer will say, "up to 1 quart of oil consumption per 1,000 miles is normal."

NO! It is NOT normal. That means either the piston rings were installed improperly, or the piston is undersized for the cylinder bore. I'm so sick of the OEM screwing customers on new vehicles because they do not want to fix their own mess.

Paratrooper82

Established Member
Hey Unleashed your application list says 8 quart fill. I assume GT Track Pack and Boss is still an 8.5 quart fill right? The extra .5 residing in the oil cooler?

Users who are viewing this thread