Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Amsoil's Ea oil filter will remove more wear metal than Motorcraft's. The nano fiber media used in Amsoil's filter is 98.7% efficient @ 20 microns. Motorcraft is only 93.7% efficient @ 20 microns. Not knocking the MC filter, as it offer a lot of bang for the buck, but there is simply no comparison in quality of build and materials used.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The first post has been updated with the recent UOA submission. Thank you for contributing sir!

I wish CAT would have performed TBN testing as well, that's where Amsoil ATM (SS) 10W-30 really shines. You should also notice that the formulation sheared less than 4% with nearly 8,000 miles of use, that's awesome. Motorcraft could never accomplish that. I can guarantee you this, the fill of Amsoil ATM (SS) 10W-30 was wasted when you dumped it. That formulation is good up to 15,000 miles or one year. Some have driven it to 1.5 years just to get the miles out of it before changing.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I had my first oil change about a month ago, wish I had seen this! As far as the oil squirters go, I know that they took them out of the 13' GTs, but didn't they add them to the newer GT500s? :shrug:

calgarybandit

Established Member
I was running Royal Purple 5W-20 and I put in Amsoil 5W-30 and noticed it's allot smoother the sound of the motor etc.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So beast what do you think about amsoil 5w-30? For the 2013 5.0?

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So beast what do you think about amsoil 5w-30? For the 2013 5.0?

Would run like a champion on the street. If you really want anti-shear, use their ATM 10W-30 Signature Series. Even this formulation tolerates mild freezing temperatures, yet is one heck of a shield at 100*F.

Those who drive in freezing temps daily will prefer Amsoil 0W-30 AZO.

Signature Series 5W-30 is the "compromise" between the two.

Choose any of the three formulations above and combine that with the EaO17 oil filter. Nothing else on earth can compete, period. I've proven that this is the top tier.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
why would you purposely not use the recommend weight. i WILL not change from the FORD spec'd 5W50 for my TP 5.0.

now, youve sold me on using amsoil over RP, but i cannot find amsoil in 5W50?

5.0GT

Established Member
why would you purposely not use the recommend weight. i WILL not change from the FORD spec'd 5W50 for my TP 5.0.

I think it's just like UnleasedBeast said, it's in between two choices for different weather conditions. It will work on either cold or hot weather but there is a better choice for both conditions.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
I will be changing my oil soon on my 12 gt. It will be my second oil change, there will be 8000 miles on the oil by the time I change it. The amsoil azo 0w30 I have in there has seen an extreme range of weather conditions and driving style. It has seen outside temps that range from 30-100 degrees and has been in there through many full throttle blasts as well as stop and go (mainly stop) traffic during the woodword ave. cruze and many other local cruises and trafic jams. I'm really curios to get the results back on the condition of this oil after all its been through..

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Can someone post a link to explain oil's viscosity, thickness, etc.

Here is a nice viscosity chart

Amsoil refuses to formulate a 5W-50 for three reasons.....

1. Too few vehicles in the world are spec'd for it. I can currently only think of 5 or 6 different cars.

2. The formulation is too broad, requiring to many compromises in the base stock formulation that makes it prone to shearing. (i.e. Mobil 1, Red Line, and Motorcraft 5W-50 all shear. MC 5W-50 being the worst).

3. It's not required for any abuse you give this car, not even extended session road course racing.

You are doing more damage to your engine internals by using it than if you were to change to a true synthetic 10W-40....or 10W-30 using the 170* thermostat. Motorcraft 5W-50 is too viscous in fresh virgin form and the engine's oil pressure will be sky high. This has been confirmed many times in the Coyote/Roadrunner engine. The formulation rapidly shears to a very light 40 grade lubricant (almost a 30 grade) in less than 2,000 miles. The virgin viscosity specs of MC 5W-50 are actually a 20W-50 above 32*F, as SAE numbers on the outside of a lubricant bottle are very misleading.

Do you still feel confident using what Ford said you should use?

Last edited:

NukeIT

Established Member
Unleashed you sir are the man. I would let you sleep with my wife if you so desired.

Any ways i will be sending my sample off to blackstone within a few weeks after 10K on Amsoil 10w-30 based on your recomendations.

Will the bottles blackstone sent me ever expire? i got them when i switched to amsoil.

lastly, still bruning 800mL per 1000miles. currently 13500miles total on my 2012 GT M6. you still think i should switch it up to something thicker?

Nukeit
(ya, i know)

Napoleon85

Established Member
I will be draining my AMSOIL SS 5w30 (used with the EA017 filter) in the Spring when I bring the car out of storage. It will be almost exactly one year old, but will only have 5-6000 miles on it. I'll have it tested at blackstone and post the results here.

I plan on doing a few more tests throughout 2013 since I will be changing my drain intervals and fluids. I plan on doing at least one track day, and will be draining before and after. With this in mind, I'm going to step down to Mobil1 5w30 or 10w30 since each fill will see one track day or MAYBE 2-3000 miles. I know the true synthetics are vastly superior, but I can't justify the cost when I'll be draining it after 2k miles.

Either way, I should have some good data coming your way. If I get anything really scary back from the UOA, I'll adjust my aim.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unleashed you sir are the man. I would let you sleep with my wife if you so desired.

OK, but only if you convince mine that it's OK and she can't get mad. :beer:

Any ways i will be sending my sample off to blackstone within a few weeks after 10K on Amsoil 10w-30 based on your recomendations.

Will the bottles blackstone sent me ever expire? i got them when i switched to amsoil.

Send me your sample when you receive it. The sample bottles never expire.

lastly, still bruning 800mL per 1000miles. currently 13500miles total on my 2012 GT M6. you still think i should switch it up to something thicker?

Nukeit
(ya, i know)

I'm concerned at many 5.0L engines having oil consumption issues. The OEM likes to say it's normal until your engine is consuming more than 1 quart per 1,000 miles. I call BS on that.

It's improperly installed piston rings, period.

Either way, I should have some good data coming your way. If I get anything really scary back from the UOA, I'll adjust my aim.

Thanks for the support. I doubt you will see anything scary, so don't worry about that.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
so, 10W40 Amsoil is what i should use for my OEM T-stat TP 5.0?

You could get away with a 30 grade lubricant if only driving the car on the street or drag racing. Ford really confused a lot of people with this 5W-50 specification. The reason for the spec was "worst case scenario" driving situation (i.e. extended road course racing sessions). Most buyers will never drive their car in this manner.

There is a guy with a Ferrari, 10W-60 is recommended for road racing, 5W-40 for everything else. He is using 5W-20 because it's nothing more than a grocery getter and all that's required for proper oil pressure for gentle street driving. It's how you drive the car and the climate you are in.

Last edited:

JDos1

Established Member
In about 700 miles I'll be draining the Valvoline Synpower 5w-20 that's currently in it and sending off to Caterpillar. Expect me to add another UOA within 3-6 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread