Official 2017 Formula 1 thread

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Honestly, I am an Alonso fan. But until he has an engine that can deal with a full weekend, I am living vicariously through other drivers.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Honestly, I am an Alonso fan. But until he has an engine that can deal with a full weekend, I am living vicariously through other drivers.
I read a little while back that he had the highest cornering speed of any car out there.

He would probably dominate with a good power plant.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
With what he was able to do with what he had this year, there is no question. If Renault can build him and engine, and McLaren can build him a car, he will win some races.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
With what he was able to do with what he had this year, there is no question. If Renault can build him and engine, and McLaren can build him a car, he will win some races.
What I don't get is why Honda couldn't do it.

They are paying $100m per year to put their engine in that car, and they had several years to build something that's at least competitive. They were not only down on power, but down on reliability (in a bad way on both). They were so dominant for so long before and were never unable to build a high hp/liter engine.

Supposedly there is going to be a new engine in the game soon, but no one knows who it is. I'm rooting for Ford/Cosworth to get back in the ring, last I had checked, they still had the second most wins in F1 and have been out of the game since like 05.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I've been hearing Porsche.

I heard Porsche as well. Also hear Aston Martin possibly stepping in for Redbull since they have a partnership with their new crazy hyper car. I'm sure Redbull isn't too happy about being stuck with Honda engines in their Toro Rosso team. Also, Aston Martin is going to be Red Bull's title sponsor this year. They're talking 2021 when it comes to engines though. An actual American team would be cool too, since F1 is now US owned, maybe Haas/Ford?

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
I've been hearing Porsche.

Porsche is the rumor. It'd be epic if true, but I'm having a hard time believing it.

Everyone is an Alonso fan. He's arguably the most talented driver in the field. But he's made some god awful career choices, and had horrible timing to go with it. If McLaren can build a chassis as good as this year's with a legit engine, he'll be up front early and often next season.

I'm a Ferrari fan, no matter who's driving. If I had to choose an all-time favorite driver, it would be Schumacher. I suppose my favorite current driver is probably Ricciardo, and whoever puts Hamilton out of the race.

Coiled03

Established Member
If they show up with a turbo boxer engine I will shit.

Agree, lol.

I don't think they've ever put forth a full-court-press F1 effort. They've made a few attempts in the past, but they always ended quickly. I think they're too busy chasing wins at LeMans.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
If they show up with a turbo boxer engine I will shit.
I don't know if something like that would fit into the body lol.

My reservation with Porsche is that they seem to be moving their effort from expensive racing series to electric. They are supposedly leaving Le Mans.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I don't know if something like that would fit into the body lol.

My reservation with Porsche is that they seem to be moving their effort from expensive racing series to electric. They are supposedly leaving Le Mans.

Facebook-So-who-else-here-just-watched-131979.png

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Oh heck yeah. Boxers are very small. A B6 would have a much smaller footprint than a V6.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Oh heck yeah. Boxers are very small. A B6 would have a much smaller footprint than a V6.
I was going to have a fun little disagreement with you because I figured it would be too wide but after looking at some photos, it looks like there could be room.

It must be in the rule book that it has to be a 90 degree engine. It seems like you could run a lower center of gravity if you went with a boxer setup.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I was going to have a fun little disagreement with you because I figured it would be too wide but after looking at some photos, it looks like there could be room.

It must be in the rule book that it has to be a 90 degree engine. It seems like you could run a lower center of gravity if you went with a boxer setup.

What the technical regulations say:

• The internal combustion engine of a Formula One car must 1.6-litres in capacity and rev-limited to 15,000rpm.

• The engine must also have six cylinders arranged in a 90-degree formation, with two inlet and two exhaust valves per cylinder and a single turbocharger.

• Engines exhaust systems must have a single tailpipe for the turbine and either one or two tailpipes for the wastegate.

• Fuel flow to the engine is limited to 100 kilograms/hour.

• The use of any device, other than the engine and one MGU-K, to propel the car, is not permitted.

• The overall weight of the power unit must be a minimum of 145kg. The Energy Store must be installed wholly within the survival cell and must weigh between 20kg and 25kg.
  • The crankcase and cylinder block of the engine must be made of cast or wrought aluminium alloys - the use of composite materials is not allowed. The crankshaft and camshafts must be made from an iron-based alloy, pistons from an aluminium alloy and valves from alloys based on iron, nickel, cobalt or titanium.

• The MGU-H must be solely mechanically linked to the exhaust turbine of the pressure charging system. The MGU-K must be solely and permanently mechanically linked to the powertrain before the main clutch.

• A maximum of 4MJ per lap can be transferred from the ES to the MGU-K (and then in turn to the drivetrain).

• A maximum of 2MJ per lap can be transferred from the MGU-K to the ES.

• An unlimited amount of energy can be transferred between the MGU-H and the ES and/or MGU-K.

• With the exception of cars starting a race from the pit lane, the MGU-K may only be used during a race start once the car has reached 100km/h.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I saw that on instagram this morning.. Bold move. He just hasn't been the same since he was demoted to TR.

Now the Aston Martin deal with RBR is interesting. As is that I am hearing that Cosworth is in the top running to be the engine supplier after the RBR deal with Renault ends after the 2018 season. I honestly think Cosworth would be a dominant engine with their history of engineering amazing small engines.

Users who are viewing this thread