Official 2017 Formula 1 thread

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Please, for the love of gawd, let Vettel win tomorrow, and let Hamilton crash out in turn 1.

I'm just worried about Verstappen doing his thing and clipping Vettel in turn 1. I don't want to have to buy a new TV tomorrow afternoon. Should be an exciting start tomorrow.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
C3U0YkIC_400x400.jpg

Coiled03

Established Member
Verstappen's license should be revoked. He's incapable of making a clean start, and is a danger to everyone on the grid.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Welp, I'd like to be the first to congratulate Hamilton on his 4th championship.

What a complete and utter shit show. Literally the WORST outcome imaginable.

As much as I would love to blame someone else, IMO it was 100% Vettel's fault. Kimi was fired out of a cannon and clean one the inside, Max got off slow but was driving straight and Seb completely pinched him. He had nowhere to go. Vettel should not have started drifting left.

And Alonso... Poor, poor Alonso. I had seriously double-points finish hopes for McLaren. Alonso finally gets to a track that relies on the outstanding McLaren chassis and not the terrible Honda power unit and he gets taken out in turn 1 after an incredible start. I honestly think he would have been on pace for a top 5 finish.

I HATE these power units. Hulkenberg retiring due to a KERS failure was so disappointing. These PUs are far too expensive and fragile. You'd never see this bullshit with an NA V12/10/8.

Coiled03

Established Member
Welp, I'd like to be the first to congratulate Hamilton on his 4th championship.

Pretty much, and he has yet to legitimately earn one, IMHO. He's been gifted every single one of them.

As much as I would love to blame someone else, IMO it was 100% Vettel's fault.

You and I must've been watching different races. I don't see how any of it was Vettel's fault. I admit, I may be looking at it through Ferrari tinted glasses, but he had nowhere to go.

And Alonso... Poor, poor Alonso. I had seriously double-points finish hopes for McLaren. Alonso finally gets to a track that relies on the outstanding McLaren chassis and not the terrible Honda power unit and he gets taken out in turn 1 after an incredible start. I honestly think he would have been on pace for a top 5 finish.

Alonso should go to Indy full time for a year, or two. He'd likely have a lot more fun, and he'd certainly get a quality ride.

I HATE these power units. Hulkenberg retiring due to a KERS failure was so disappointing. These PUs are far too expensive and fragile. You'd never see this bullshit with an NA V12/10/8.

Agreed. Stupid ass power units are the worst thing ever in F1, at least in terms of power trains.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
You and I must've been watching different races. I don't see how any of it was Vettel's fault. I admit, I may be looking at it through Ferrari tinted glasses, but he had nowhere to go.

How I viewed it:

-Kimi launched and pulled almost even to Max's left.
-Max got a bad start but was driving straight.
-Seb got a good start and almost pulled past Max (his left rear tire was even with Max's front wing when he came left).
-Max had nowhere to go and got pinched between Kimi and Seb.

I want nothing more than for Vettel to win the championship, but I've got to call it like I see it and IMO, this is completely on his shoulders.

Coiled03

Established Member
I can see your point of view, but we'll have to agree to disagree. IMHO, the adult thing for Verstappen to do would've been to BACK OFF, and get out of the situation. Had he done that, he wouldn't have been there when Vettel moved over.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Absolute shit show.

I was hoping Seb would pull out a win because I hate Hamilton so much.

From my point of view, I think it was on Seb for that accident.

Coiled03

Established Member
Verstappen has right of way in his racing line.

Yes, I realize that. Doesn't mean it's smart to not extricate yourself from the situation when you have the opportunity.

Would you rather stand on principle after your car is wadded up, or make it to the end of the race? I think I know which Christian Horner would prefer.

EDIT: I don't know how you can watch the in-car view from Verstappen and not think it's his fault for steering into Kimi. Looks clear to me that he got spooked by Vettel going close by on the right, and steered into Kimi just as he was going by on the left. That made Kimi turn hard right, and collect Vettel in the process.

Last edited:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yes, I realize that. Doesn't mean it's smart to not extricate yourself from the situation when you have the opportunity.

Would you rather stand on principle after your car is wadded up, or make it to the end of the race? I think I know which Christian Horner would prefer.

EDIT: I don't know how you can watch the in-car view from Verstappen and not think it's his fault for steering into Kimi. Looks clear to me that he got spooked by Vettel going close by on the right, and steered into Kimi just as he was going by on the left. That made Kimi turn hard right, and collect Vettel in the process.
Because Vettel moved into him.

If Vettel didn't try to bully him out of the line, they probably wouldn't have crashed.

Even if he did check up there is still a chance he would have either a) still made contact with Kimi, b) been run over by someone behind him.

If you watch it a few more times, you can tell Kimi gets up next to him very fast. He is moving away from Vettel at the start and even turns away from Kimi once he realizes he is right there.

Verstappen had no where to go. If click frame by frame on youtube from the drivers perspective, you can see exactly when Max see's Kimi, goes to turn right and it's way too late at that point.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Verstappen lets up. He gets ran into. These cars were already going almost 100mph at even that short of a distance. Nothing for poor Max to do but take it in the ass.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Even for a Vettel/Ferrari fan, you have to see this was Vettel's fault. Saying he should be aggressive to try and make a quick pass or take the line is fine, but you can't say Max should've backed off at the same time. Vettel can't be the only aggressive one. It's 100% wrong to say Max should've stood down. Vettel should've been smarter, seen Kimi there, not try to muscle through, and pass him later. He's a better driver than both, so just wait. His chance would've come pretty soon.

Now, I'm probably in the minority on this forum, but I've always been a Hamilton fan. While I loved watching him basically clinch this title, I would've preferred it to happen without Vettel getting a DNF.

Blown 89

Established Member
I can see your point of view, but we'll have to agree to disagree. IMHO, the adult thing for Verstappen to do would've been to BACK OFF, and get out of the situation. Had he done that, he wouldn't have been there when Vettel moved over.
There isn't a racing series on Earth where backing off the throttle is acceptable on the straight because someone came into you're line and tried to run you off the track. Backing off the throttle on the straight is just as dangerous as pinching someone off the track. Entering a corner yes, but that was absolutely Vettle's fault. Staying on the racing line and being predictable is the safest thing to do and that's exactly what Vers did.

The pinching, blocking, and preferential treatment is why I don't watch F1 anymore. The idea that some drivers have the right of way simply because of who they are/who they drive for has never been attractive IMO.

Lifting in a car with that much downforce is the equivalent of slamming on the brakes in your street car....not the best thing to do in that situation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread