Official 2017-18 NHL Thread.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
So I've really done nothing but dump on the Bruins this season but they've actually played pretty good the past couple weeks and beaten some of the top teams in the league. I still don't think they're very good or an exciting team to watch but just figured I'd give them some dues when deserved.

I'll be seeing them in person Thursday night vs. the Caps.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
I see they are 8-2 in their last 10 so it should be an easy 2 points for your B's tonight. Red Wings have been in a terrible slump lately (1-5-4)...on the bright side, the Jets are flying high! I wouldn't have guessed that they would be doing quite this well after that embarrassing opening night game I witnessed first hand.

mysterio

Established Member
Boston had no business winning that game last night in Det. They mustered a grand total of 2.....yes I said two.....shots on goal in the first per. That first period was so dull and devoid of entertainment, that the NBC studio crew said during intermission 'not a lot going on in that first period.' That was an understatement.

Zed, your Jets are quietly going about their business and catching many teams unaware or unprepared. Good to see, as I know it's been a long time coming, right?

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Absolutely! Fan base was starting to get restless around here, but all are pretty content right now. The draft picks are really coming into their own & Wheeler is playing the best hockey of his career at 31 years old.

mysterio

Established Member

I'd like to see this match up again when the B's are more rested and healthy. Sooner or later, the law of averages, right?

Steve, if you took any pics, feel free to post them. Last B's game I went to (March, 2016), I was in upper deck 3rd tier seats, so any pics would have been lame.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I'd like to see this match up again when the B's are more rested and healthy. Sooner or later, the law of averages, right?

Steve, if you took any pics, feel free to post them. Last B's game I went to (March, 2016), I was in upper deck 3rd tier seats, so any pics would have been lame.

Its only been what 3 or 4 years right? Plus I have to keep my personal losing streak going.

Sorry, no pics.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Bruins do what bad teams do, find a way to lose in a game they should have won easily in terms of dominating play.

Bruins manage a too many men on the ice penalty in overtime. Never seen that before playing 3 on 3. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the first time ever.

mysterio

Established Member
That too many men penalty is almost always on the coaching staff. Certain teams in that strong Metro division just give Boston fits.

Meanwhile, I watched that outdoor game up in Ottawa, since it was on NBC, using the HNIC feed. That game, featuring 2 pretty bad teams, was duller than buying socks. But there was some enjoyment in seeing the fans there drinking and partying in such frigid temps.

Just another brisk day for Canadians, eh?

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
They had one late in the 3rd period too but they survived it. I counted 8 guys on the ice.

It was actually probably the most exciting Bruins game this season though.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Meanwhile, I watched that outdoor game up in Ottawa, since it was on NBC, using the HNIC feed. That game, featuring 2 pretty bad teams, was duller than buying socks. But there was some enjoyment in seeing the fans there drinking and partying in such frigid temps.

Sadly the outdoor games are more about the spectacle than the quality of the hockey due to the unpredictable conditions.

Just another brisk day for Canadians, eh?

LOL! You know its cold when I can't even get the Polar Bear to go outside to take me to work!

mysterio

Established Member
So I've really done nothing but dump on the Bruins this season but they've actually played pretty good the past couple weeks and beaten some of the top teams in the league. I still don't think they're very good or an exciting team to watch but just figured I'd give them some dues when deserved.

Steve, ready to re-evaluate this team? They're playing some darn good hockey, and are no longer boring. Thankfully.

I'll do my own mea culpa: I didn't think firing Julien was the answer last season, but Cassidy has this team possibly playing up to (and some nights beyond) their potential. They don't even look like the same core group that CJ had.

And anybody else notice how the Panthers are quietly moving up, and catching some teams by surprise?

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
For sure Jeff. I had them pegged as a lottery team but they're looking more and more like a playoff team. I love Charlie McAvoy and they've got some other good young talent and their top line is as good as there is in the league imo.
I wouldn't call them boring since they're winning but I miss the rock 'em sock 'em teams of the past. This team is way too soft for me.
As far off I was in assessing the Bruins I still don't think they're good enough to make a deep run though. I think teams like Pitt, Tampa, Toronto will kick it up a notch come playoffs.
I would also love to see them beat the Capitals again in my lifetime. And the Rangers for that matter.

mysterio

Established Member
One picture is worth a thousand words.

HnlDw2Xm.jpg

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
And anybody else notice how the Panthers are quietly moving up, and catching some teams by surprise?

Problem is that they are moving up due to great play by Reimer and not so much better play from the skaters. Now of course Matheson, Ekblad and Pysyk have played better defensively, but their forward depth really hampers them.
Shots against are roughly the same. GF are actually lower by a few tenths. The difference is their GAA before their winning streak was in the 3's and it was in the low 1's during the 5 game win streak.
IIRC GF 2.6X, GA, 1.2X (5 game win streak)
Previous: GF 2.8X, GA, 3.4 (33 games)

mysterio

Established Member
Can't recall when I've seen a Habs team so lifeless and devoid of passion. Not that I'm complaining, but it is very unusual to see. Something is very wrong up there.

And we would all probably agree that's a tough place to play / coach / manage, but wow is their media harsh when things go south. Check out this article where the writer called last night's B's - Habs game "men against boys":

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/h...t/about-last-night-bruins-stomp-canadiens-4-1

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I was thinking the same thing about them being lifeless. Can you imagine the Bruins and Canadiens playing each other 3 times in a week years ago, it would have been a war.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
And we would all probably agree that's a tough place to play / coach / manage, but wow is their media harsh when things go south. Check out this article where the writer called last night's B's - Habs game "men against boys":

The fans there are just as bad. I don't think there is another market in the entire league that is ready to boo their own team off the ice at the drop of a hat more than MTL...maybe NYR is close, maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread