Official 2017-18 NHL Thread.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I don't expect much action in this thread but here goes anyway.

I also don't expect anything from the Bruins this year either as they're still soft, boring and as usual won't score many goals.

If their progression from last year continues I think there is no reason Toronto and Edmonton can't be serious contenders. Lots of talent and can play it physical if they want to. Those are my dark horse teams.

mysterio

Established Member
/waves to all the puck heads.

Can't wait for the action to start. And Steve - dark horse for Tor and Edm? It wouldn't surprise me if they're the Cup finalists come Spring.

Hope it's a great and entertaining season all around.

....oh, and I before I forget -- F Montreal. :p

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
I'll agree with EDM having a shot at going all the way, but Toronto? No way. Yes they have lots of young talent and can make some noise, but the defense looks spotty at best. Ron Hainsey on the top D pair for TOR? No thanks.
I'll be booing the Leafs live & in person tonight here in Winnipeg. First time I'll be at opening night since the Jets have come back!
Hopefully we'll figure out how to keep the puck out of our net this year.

mysterio

Established Member
Looks like Steve Mason picked up right where he left off. And not in a good way.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
What a cluster job...I was not happy a Jets fan. @ Mysterio, I could only really blame Mason for 1 goal last night. The rest we on then skaters, not the goalie. Looks like our team hasn't figured out ANY defense yet.

mysterio

Established Member
Luckily, it's early in the season. Good luck to your Jets the rest of the way. I know that's a long-suffering fan base up there.

mysterio

Established Member
You guys think Chicago had a bit of a chip on their shoulders? That 10-1 beatdown was as much of a statement game as any.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
You guys think Chicago had a bit of a chip on their shoulders? That 10-1 beatdown was as much of a statement game as any.

Yeah, I was a little shocked when I saw that score this morning. Pitt is becoming notorious for being slow coming out of the gate the last few years though. 0-2 to start this season.

As for our boys I didn't see much of the game but some of their young guys look like they can play a little bit. Still too soft for me but we'll see how they do in the win column.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Luckily, it's early in the season. Good luck to your Jets the rest of the way. I know that's a long-suffering fan base up there.
Thanks, looks like we'll need it this year!
I've seen a few "experts" picking the Hawks to miss the playoffs this year. As delighted as I would be if it happened its very hard to imagine unless they lost both Toews & Kane for a few months at the same time.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Brown's a bubble player so I don't think doing this will help his cause to stay in the lineup. Idiot.

Watching the Caps lay the smackdown on the Canadiens makes me happy.

mysterio

Established Member
Watching the Caps lay the smackdown on the Canadiens makes me happy.

The Canadiens catch a beating from the Caps last night, and get shut out by the Rangers tonight.

I'm liking the start of this season more each day. ;)

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
The Canadiens catch a beating from the Caps last night, and get shut out by the Rangers tonight.

I'm liking the start of this season more each day.

Nice, isn't it?

Honestly though, I think the Habs have too much talent not to get it turned around but who knows, sometimes teams don't gel regardless of talent.

How about the Golden Nuggets at 2-0? Remember expansion teams years ago were lucky to win 10- 15 games all season. Just shows how much talent there is around the league today.
Don't get me wrong though, I'm neither a fan of expansion nor the direction the NHL is going.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Ok, so it only took until the 2nd game of the season for the Bruins to be shut out in what I'm sure will be the first of many, many more.
If I was a first time viewer of a hockey game there was absolutely nothing entertaining about that game that would want me to ever see another in my life. Dreadful.

Coiled03

Established Member
I don't post in many of these threads, but I'm an avid Blackhawks fan. I still wear my Chelios jersey a few times a year lol.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I don't post in many of these threads, but I'm an avid Blackhawks fan. I still wear my Chelios jersey a few times a year lol.

I don't think I ever remember you posting in an NHL thread.

I was watching the Hawks beat the Canadiens last night. I'm a fan of any team that plays Montreal. As is every Bruins fan.

Oh, Chris Chelios. He was a guy you love to hate. I miss players like him.

Coiled03

Established Member
I don't think I ever remember you posting in an NHL thread.

I was watching the Hawks beat the Canadiens last night. I'm a fan of any team that plays Montreal. As is every Bruins fan.

Oh, Chris Chelios. He was a guy you love to hate. I miss players like him.

I usually post maybe once or twice a year in the NHL thread. I'm more often in the F1/NBA threads.

mysterio

Established Member
Wow, Steve. How long, do you think, before les habitants du Montreal storm the Bastille with pitchforks and torches, demanding someone's head?

You know the natives are restless up there, and you can see that they want their pound of flesh by reading some of the comments following this article:

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/h...cessary-risks-cost-canadiens-in-loss-to-kings

....not that I'm complaining, mind you. :cool:

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Haha, I love it too and if they can't right the ship soon it won't be long before Claude walks the plank. There's no shortage of talent on that team so I'm not sure what the problem is but I hope it is a disasterous season for them.

The Bruins on the other hand are right where they should be with the lack of talent they have.
I've already done a little checking on what kind of draft class 2018 is since I think the Bruins will be picking in the top 3. No Connor McDavid's or Austin Matthews but it is supposed to be a talented and deep class.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Wow, cannot believe where the Leafs & the Oilers are in the standings out of the gate!
Devils & the Golden Knights are off to great starts too. Who would have guessed?

Users who are viewing this thread