Official 2017-18 NHL Thread.

mysterio

Established Member
Wow, cannot believe where the Leafs & the Oilers are in the standings out of the gate!
Devils & the Golden Knights are off to great starts too. Who would have guessed?

That's one of the great things about the NHL (unlike the NBA) -- it's wide open right from the start many years, and teams can surprise fans. Both negatively and positively.

It makes for some exciting games that, in years past, might have been snoozers. The Leafs, for example, are one of the more dynamic teams in the east, and seem to be able to score in buckets.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Bruins blow a 4-1 lead against a bad team playing the 2nd game of back to back days. What does that tell us about them?
Since 3 on 3 overtime began the Bruins are the only team I've ever seen carry the puck over the red line and just dump it in. It's all about possession in OT. And they've done it multiple times. Unbelievable.

Coiled03

Established Member
Watching the Hawks play the Golden Showers....err, the Golden Knights....and it's crazy how many Hawks fans are there. Almost sounds like a Hawks home game.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
So pretty good game against the Kings last night until the very end of overtime. Torey Krug carries the puck with a few seconds left and ices it for no reason other than being careless and lazy and there is 0.4 seconds left on the clock. Useless David Pastrnak loses the faceoff as clean as physically possible and the puck is in the net so fast the clock doesn't even start. Once again, only the pathetic Bruins.

mysterio

Established Member
I saw that late game fiasco. The Bruins are exceptional at finding new and creative ways to lose a game.

On a different note, we moved recently, and when you move, you inevitably find boxes of old photos.

bLWek3q.jpg

Thought some of you history buffs might enjoy an old time hockey photo or two. This is Rick Middleton, about to fake Dryden out of his jock by cutting in front and burying it past him. 1978 Stanley Cup Final game.

EzPZW3C.jpg

And here's another one from that same game that got past that swine.

I was just a teen back then, and stood in line over 2 hours at the Garden box office to get tickets. Great memories, and the only time I've seen the Stanley Cup in person.

M91196

Established Member
Dryden made us his bitch that series, Robinson, LaFleur, Cournoyer, Gainey, Jarvis etc. it's like the Hockey HOF in the blue blanc en rouge

mysterio

Established Member
Some old time hockey last night in the Wings - Flames game. And the closest thing we're likely to see of a bench clearing brawl in this age of the NHL. But don't look for the brawl on NHL.com; they barely mention it, and don't show it in the highlights, to their discredit.

But TSN has it on youtube, and it's worth watching:

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
They showed some of that during the Bruins telecast last night. Good to see a little nasty every once in a while.
As for the Bruins, they're even worse than I thought so far. Good teams find ways to win and bad teams find ways to lose. I don't need to tell you which category the Bruins fall into.

mysterio

Established Member
Steve, which 'brilliant' GM signed Belleskey for big money and term? Weenie, or Chia's last gasp?

Boston can't get rid of him fast enough. In many games, I've noticed in the box score that he has *zero* shots on goal. Unacceptable.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Steve, which 'brilliant' GM signed Belleskey for big money and term? Weenie, or Chia's last gasp?

Boston can't get rid of him fast enough. In many games, I've noticed in the box score that he has *zero* shots on goal. Unacceptable.

Which GM traded Smith for Hayes?

(Of course then the Panthers overpay Smith and then trade him for a 4th... smh)

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Anyone see this? I don't mind a little dirty play but this is down right dangerous and he's lucky he didn't catch him in the spine and do some serious damage. Never mind 10 games, he should get 20 for that and I hope someone lights him up good when he gets back. Gudas has always been a dirty asshole.

mysterio

Established Member
Yes, I saw that, and it’s been discussed a lot on the hockey radio shows. Todd Lewis from Hockey Unfiltered thought he’d get 8 at the most, but I thought 10 at the least.

Under the NHL’s philosophy that players are responsible for their sticks at all times, then using that criteria, a repeat stick offender should get a heavy suspension for something like what Goon-ass pulled.

As far as the old time ‘frontier justice’ and accountability for his actions when he returns, I hope he gets lit up, too, but I’m also wondering if that era of the game has gone by, for better or worse.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Yes, I saw that, and it’s been discussed a lot on the hockey radio shows. Todd Lewis from Hockey Unfiltered thought he’d get 8 at the most, but I thought 10 at the least.

Under the NHL’s philosophy that players are responsible for their sticks at all times, then using that criteria, a repeat stick offender should get a heavy suspension for something like what Goon-ass pulled.

As far as the old time ‘frontier justice’ and accountability for his actions when he returns, I hope he gets lit up, too, but I’m also wondering if that era of the game has gone by, for better or worse.

Goon-ass, lol

I think he's going to have to answer for this next time they play the Jets.

mysterio

Established Member
Have you guys seen this 19 year old rookie the Hawks have, named Alex DeBrincat? And really, how could you miss him, since Chicago seems to be on TV every week?

The kid has 10 goals so far, including a hat trick the other night, and appears to have a bright future. Should be in the discussion for rookie of the year award, if he keeps this up.

.....And oh yeah, Boston passed on him in the 2016 draft. /smh

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Have you guys seen this 19 year old rookie the Hawks have, named Alex DeBrincat? And really, how could you miss him, since Chicago seems to be on TV every week?

The kid has 10 goals so far, including a hat trick the other night, and appears to have a bright future. Should be in the discussion for rookie of the year award, if he keeps this up.

The Bruins management has the rare gift of not recognizing talent and drafting career minor leaguer's.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

Yea, was brought up a lot by Panther fans on HFBoards.
Size played a factor why he fell.
Good ole Chicago never missing a beat when it comes to replacing players. Bastards lol.

Users who are viewing this thread