Official 2017-18 NHL Thread.

mysterio

Established Member
Heh, I was writing at about the same time you were, Steve. Great minds, and all that.

B’s are rumored to be chasing a name brand D-man, so we’ll see.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Heh, I was writing at about the same time you were, Steve. Great minds, and all that.

B’s are rumored to be chasing a name brand D-man, so we’ll see.

For once I'd like to see them get a game changing, superstar type forward. Someone like...............JOHN TAVARES!!!

As for defensemen, unless we're talking about somebody like Drew Doughty, Bret Burns or Erik Karlsson, you're not going to improve much more than what you already have. Typical Bruins.

mysterio

Established Member
As for defensemen, unless we're talking about somebody like Drew Doughty, Bret Burns or Erik Karlsson, you're not going to improve much more than what you already have. Typical Bruins.

Steve, if the rumors of Karlsson going to Tampa pan out, the Atlantic division just became a 3 team division, more or less. Also if true, it will force Sweeney's hand to make an impact trade.....or fall by the wayside.

In other news, I read that Shea Weber had knee surgery, and will be out until mid Dec. I fee bad for him, but it sure feels like it's been all downhill for the Habs since the Subban trade.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Steve, if the rumors of Karlsson going to Tampa pan out, the Atlantic division just became a 3 team division, more or less. Also if true, it will force Sweeney's hand to make an impact trade.....or fall by the wayside.

If TB signed Erik Karlsson they would go into salary cap hell & immediately need to dump 2 valuable pieces. No way they can add him & keep everyone else they have who makes a difference.

In other news, I read that Shea Weber had knee surgery, and will be out until mid Dec. I fee bad for him, but it sure feels like it's been all downhill for the Habs since the Subban trade.

Still one of the worst trades on paper ever that Weber/Subban deal. As much as I dislike PK, Weber was already on the down side then & will probably never play another 82 games in one season again.

And where is all the Leafs signing John Tavares talk from you Atlantic division guys? It pains me to see it & say it, but I think they just became the favorite to win the division & maybe even the conference next year with that move.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member

Bruins should be in on the Karlsson stakes. Why in hell wouldn't they be?

Yeah, too bad for Weber but glad it's not working out for the Habs. haha

If TB signed Erik Karlsson they would go into salary cap hell & immediately need to dump 2 valuable pieces. No way they can add him & keep everyone else they have who makes a difference.

No doubt. They are almost at max cap right now.

Still one of the worst trades on paper ever that Weber/Subban deal. As much as I dislike PK, Weber was already on the down side then & will probably never play another 82 games in one season again.

I would take a healthy Weber over Subban all day. Unfortunately it just hasn't worked out for him with injuries.

And where is all the Leafs signing John Tavares talk from you Atlantic division guys? It pains me to see it & say it, but I think they just became the favorite to win the division & maybe even the conference next year with that move.

The Bruins were in on Tavares, how serious they were we'll never know but I figured he would end up in Toronto. He is exactly what the Bruins are missing so in not being able to land him I expect them to be a playoff team but another early exit.

I had the Leafs going to the finals at the beginning of last season and to get bounced in the first round, by the Bruins no less, makes me have doubts for this season. Even with Tavares.

mysterio

Established Member
Tavares landing in Toronto is a nightmare for the rest of the division, since you asked, Zed. And if Karlsson goes to Tampa, here's how I see the Atlantic for next season:

Toronto and Tampa jockeying for first place. Boston a distant 3rd. Everyone else falling way short. Florida may sniff around a wildcard spot, but that's not guaranteed.

The Atlantic division just became a 2 team race, and a 'nice try' for third (Boston).

edit: just read where that little punk Alex Burrows retired from the NHL, so at least all the news isn't bad lately.

mysterio

Established Member
August is typically a quiet month for hockey talk, so the most interesting thing being discussed in NHL circles is that this is the 30th anniversary of what they call The Trade:

Wayne Gretzky trade tree: 'The Trade' and the many branches that grew from it

I remember it being stunning news, and also recall Gretzky being a bit teary-eyed about it.

But as a side note, it's interesting to note that HoF players such as Gretzky, Orr, LaFleur, Hull, Howe and so many others did not finish their careers with the team where they achieved the most success. The business side of pro sports is often the most disliked by fans and players.

Hope you guys are having a great summer.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I could be remembering it wrong Jeff but wasn't their talk of Gretzky being traded prior to the trade or was it out of the blue?
Orr left because that asshole Alan Eagleson deceived him.

RIP Stan Mikita.

mysterio

Established Member
It's been 30 years, but I remember being caught totally by surprise by the Gretzky trade. But I do remember the rumors of the Oilers starting to be a bit cash-strapped following those Cup runs.

RIP Stan Mikita indeed. From all accounts, he was a great ambassador for the Hawks and for the game in general.

mysterio

Established Member
Want a summer hockey fix that should make you guys smile? Some fan has re-imagined all 31 NHL teams' logos, as if they were corporate logos and slogans. Some of these are better than others, some are inside curve balls that you have to think about, but the ones for Montreal and Ottawa are absolute home runs:

mysterio

Established Member
Steve (and every one else keeping one eye on the off-season), did you see where Montreal sent Paco packing? They announced it after 1am, so Habs fans have been waking up to yet even more turmoil:

Montreal Canadiens trade captain Max Pacioretty to Vegas Golden Knights

College hockey player Jack Hughes is widely considered to be the #1 pick at next year's draft, and some Montreal fans have already started a 'Lose for Hughes' campaign of their own, LOL.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Steve (and every one else keeping one eye on the off-season), did you see where Montreal sent Paco packing? They announced it after 1am, so Habs fans have been waking up to yet even more turmoil:

Montreal Canadiens trade captain Max Pacioretty to Vegas Golden Knights

College hockey player Jack Hughes is widely considered to be the #1 pick at next year's draft, and some Montreal fans have already started a 'Lose for Hughes' campaign of their own, LOL.

Yeah, saw the trade. Fans knew it was coming but it doesn't look like the Habs got much in return. Good trade for the 'nuggs.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
My God, Don Sweeney needs to go. He trades a big, tough, rugged Adam McQauid to the Rangers for Steven Kampfer, another small, soft defenseman that they already had before and adds absolutely nothing to their needs. I don't get it.

mysterio

Established Member
My God, Don Sweeney needs to go. He trades a big, tough, rugged Adam McQauid to the Rangers for Steven Kampfer, another small, soft defenseman that they already had before and adds absolutely nothing to their needs. I don't get it.

Hopefully, Kampfer is trade bait. McQuaid was on his last year, and frankly, has been way too injury-prone lately. He clearly didn't fit in with their future plans. But I'm not real happy McQuaid is in the same conference.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Hopefully, Kampfer is trade bait. McQuaid was on his last year, and frankly, has been way too injury-prone lately. He clearly didn't fit in with their future plans. But I'm not real happy McQuaid is in the same conference.

I know he's an injury liability but he is a dying breed old school type defenseman I sorely miss in what used to be the greatest sport on the planet which is becoming less and less interesting and more and more boring.

mysterio

Established Member
I know he's an injury liability but he is a dying breed old school type defenseman I sorely miss in what used to be the greatest sport on the planet which is becoming less and less interesting and more and more boring.

How right you are. Anybody that can tune up a thug like Torres will be missed by all.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread