Official 2017-18 NHL Thread.

mysterio

Established Member
No sustained commitment on defense by Vegas. Caps skaters have way too much space to operate. Caps D is putting on a clinic.

Agreed. And Colin Miller had the kind of game that showcased why Boston left him unprotected. Just a huge liability, at least for one game.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I feel like the Nugg's have had just as many chances as the Caps, just not going in the net for them. James Neal missing an absolutely wide open net early in the game may have been a turning point.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
I finally managed to sit down & watch some of this series last night. They should change their name to the Golden Pez dispensers! I lost track of how many times I saw one of the Vegas players snapping their heads back trying to draw a penalty...at least the Refs have finally gotten wise to them & stopped handing out penalties everytime they pull that shit. Even that Ryan Reaves goon was trying it late in the game until he started lumberjacking every Caps player within his reach near the end of the game.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Looks like the Knights' magic has run out, but it was a good run. City is excited about hockey and we have the Raiders coming in 2020 (which will be scary).

If you're from California, there is no vacancy here. Go home. LOL

mysterio

Established Member
Well, I guess people on the net can’t call #8 Chokevechkin any more (I’ve been guilty of this).

Caps deserved it, and dominated in almost every category that counts in the Final.

But I don’t think the Knights have anything to be ashamed of. They over-achieved all season, and the city has embraced them.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
The suffering is over. Congratulations to Washington and especially MVP Alex Ovechkin.

Storybook season for Vegas doesn't quite have the happy ending they were hoping for but still outstanding.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Nice job by ALLCAPS who finally reached their potential. It was a total team effort & their big guns were total beasts throughout the playoffs. This was quite the accomplishment when you think about it for a team that started the first round 0 - 2 and were also down 3 - 2 at one point in the Eastern Final as well.

mysterio

Established Member
Steve (and everyone), did you see where Bruin great Johnny 'Pie' McKenzie passed away?

Big Bad Bruin Johnny McKenzie won his biggest fight off the ice

For those too young, he was a Brad Marchand type, minus the stupid antics. A guy called too small by some scouts, he gave it all he got, and was a fan favorite in Boston. Every Cup winner has to have their share of character players, and McKenzie was all that and more in the early 70's. He could score goals and mix it up in the corners with the best of them.

May he R.I.P.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Steve (and everyone), did you see where Bruin great Johnny 'Pie' McKenzie passed away?

Big Bad Bruin Johnny McKenzie won his biggest fight off the ice

For those too young, he was a Brad Marchand type, minus the stupid antics. A guy called too small by some scouts, he gave it all he got, and was a fan favorite in Boston. Every Cup winner has to have their share of character players, and McKenzie was all that and more in the early 70's. He could score goals and mix it up in the corners with the best of them.

May he R.I.P.

Did not see that Jeff. Too bad. He was kind of like the Brad Marchand of that era.

mysterio

Established Member
Wow, I just heard Barry Trotz resigned as coach of the Crapitals. You just gotta figure the bean counters didn’t want to pay him what he’s now worth.

Or the scuttlebutt that he felt disrespected by the team not offering him an extension this season just might have had some credibility.

He’ll be unemployed only as long as he wants to be, I’m betting.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Wow, I just heard Barry Trotz resigned as coach of the Crapitals. You just gotta figure the bean counters didn’t want to pay him what he’s now worth.

Or the scuttlebutt that he felt disrespected by the team not offering him an extension this season just might have had some credibility.

He’ll be unemployed only as long as he wants to be, I’m betting.

Montreal bound? After the season they had and Trotz now available I could easily see Claude shown the door.

mysterio

Established Member
Montreal bound? After the season they had and Trotz now available I could easily see Claude shown the door.

Maybe, Steve, but that’s a reportedly $5m guy to kick out the door. My guess is the Islanders, or he takes a year off. On social media, Islanders fans are already foaming at the mouth at the prospect of getting Trotz for a coach.

It will all make for a very interesting draft this weekend.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Maybe, Steve, but that’s a reportedly $5m guy to kick out the door. My guess is the Islanders, or he takes a year off. On social media, Islanders fans are already foaming at the mouth at the prospect of getting Trotz for a coach.

It will all make for a very interesting draft this weekend.

Yeah, I don't even know what teams are shopping for coaches right now so I was just kind of throwing that out there after having such an awful season. If I'm Trotz I much rather go to the Islanders than deal with the hell hounds of media and fans of Montreal.

mysterio

Established Member
You nailed it Jeff. Trotz to the Islanders.

Now who do the Caps turn to?

Lou Lamorello has been referred to as The Godfather. Maybe he made Trotz an offer he couldn’t refuse.

It’s a cagey move ahead of the draft and free agency. Now they have a solid coach and a rookie of the year to help entice Tavares to stay there.

As far as the Caps go, the word is one of their assistant coaches is the inside favorite. Guy’s name escapes me at the moment....

Edit: the assistant coach’s name is Todd Reirden. So we’ll see.

Last edited:

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Tavares goes to the Maple Leafs which is what I figured. Bruins wouldn't make a huge push for him, too talented. But they did make a huge splash of their own signing Chris Wagner to a contract. Who the **** is Chris Wagner you say? That's what I said too.
So all the goal scoring free agents have been signed save for James Neal. None to the Bruins of course.

mysterio

Established Member
Tavares to Toronto for 7 years at $11m per year is not exactly the news I was hoping for today. But it seemed inevitable, based on recent rumors.

Meanwhile, someone should put the Islanders fan base on collective suicide watch.

Users who are viewing this thread