Nobody wants to buy the pre ‘13/14 GT500’s any longer??

SilverNotch

Established Member
I think the 2007-2009 Shelby’s are the best looking of the s197. I prefer the front end as it looks very aggressive and the taillights. I know they are big and heavy and I’ve never driven one but they are nice. I know the coyotes are fast but I’m not totally sold on their sound. The changes in firing order make them sound very different than mustangs of the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fastcobra2

Established Member
I agree with Alex that the 11-12 gt500 are the ones to get for multiple reasons. 5.8 is wrung out from factory. Tuners know the knock sensors are a problem for 13-14. More motor failure seen in 13-14. He has actual experience tuning all these models. I will take his word over a nut hugger that just owns a 13-14 and defends it 5.4 over 5.8 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I agree with Alex that the 11-12 gt500 are the ones to get for multiple reasons. 5.8 is wrung out from factory. Tuners know the knock sensors are a problem for 13-14. More motor failure seen in 13-14. He has actual experience tuning all these models. I will take his word over a nut hugger that just owns a 13-14 and defends it 5.4 over 5.8 for me.

Well, I had a '12 before I got the '13. It was a fine car too. I just prefer to hug the nuts tighter on the '13 for several reasons after a owners comparison of the two.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

Haha def not a nut hugger, but it sounds like you and Alex just looking to go fast for less money. It's ok if you can't afford the top dog S197 GT500.
SO many more upgrades to a '13-14 than just 5.8 vs 5.4
-J

Fastcobra2

Established Member
I’ve read your posts j. So your first statement might not be true. Money isn’t why I like 11-12 If modding 11-12 are a better car. Enjoy your 200 mph 5.8 running 12s I trust the 5.4 or even s550 more. Just my opinion. If I just wanted to go fast for less $ I would do something different. 11-12 are the ones to get if you are going to mod. Period. Keeping it stock 13-14 are better hands down. Dumb of you to assume I can’t afford a 13-14.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
buddy went thru the same exact thing last year.

he has an 09 GT 500 white with blue stripes beautiful imo and I let him take my car for the day and I drove his. I was a nervous wreck letting him take my car lol. I thought his car was awesome but geeez u could really tell the difference in weight. especially around corners and stopping.

my car weighs 3800 lbs with me in it. his car weighed 4200 with him in it. I was surprised I could tell that much of a difference with only 400 lbs but I definitely could!

its just too dam heavy. he stated the same essentially and after that he stopped dumping money into it and ended up trading it in for a 16 GT. and he wanted an Auto and it just wasn't offered in the 500 otherwise I think he would have bought a new we 500

he tried selling it for almost 4 months and not one offer. infact, no one even came to look at it so he gave up and traded it in. wasn't so bad cause he didn't have to pay the taxes he would have on a new car.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve read your posts j. So your first statement might not be true. Money isn’t why I like 11-12 If modding 11-12 are a better car. Enjoy your 200 mph 5.8 running 12s I trust the 5.4 or even s550 more. Just my opinion. If I just wanted to go fast for less $ I would do something different. 11-12 are the ones to get if you are going to mod. Period. Keeping it stock 13-14 are better hands down. Dumb of you to assume I can’t afford a 13-14.

Dumb of you to call someone a nut hugger. I still don't buy the '11-12 argument. I could've bought any GT500 and making an informed decision, at least for me as I was going to build it either way, the '13-14 wins hands down. Not mentioning the styling and ugly '10-12 rear, I'm not going to list all the '13-14 upgrades.
And my car ran 12s ONE time, first time on stock tires and TC on. Next pass 11s TC off.
It's now been 10.0@145 so I'm well aware of actually making a GT500 fast.
-J

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.

Strong first post and a great start to what I’m sure will be a long lasting relationship here. I’m sure all the fine people on svtp will learn a tremendous amount from all of your vast knowledge about mustangs.

VegasMichael

Established Member
When I bought my '07 early in 2012 I did so because I did not like the looks of the 2010-2012s and also wanted the stoutness of the iron block. I didn't care about the extra weight which seemed to be a crying point for several people. I mean if weight was an issue I would have bought a Vette. Also, I wanted to have some warranty left should anything go wrong with the car. A lot of those pre '13 cars are no longer under warranty which might be harming their sales too. Personally, I didn't care how many Shelbys Ford produced in that era. I didn't care if everyone on my street had one. I bought it because I liked it. So many people think a certain model seems "dated" so they avoid it right away for no other reason. Who cares if it's dated if you like it? Cars in the 10-20 year range always seem dated but if you like it who cares? For me, all I wanted was a powerful car that would respond well to modifications that I enjoyed looking at in the garage when not driving it. Truth be told, if I get back into the Mustang game I would probably go for an '07-'09 Shelby.

Fastcobra2

Established Member
Bruno. I’m sure everyone loves your ridiculous Political posts clogging the feed. I simply agreed with a video of a tuner posted by someone else

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
There’s always that mentality here, just because someone got the older car or a lowly 5.0 it means they can’t afford Ford’s top dog mustang. Lol

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
There’s always that mentality here, just because someone got the older car or a lowly 5.0 it means they can’t afford Ford’s top dog mustang. Lol
I liked VegasMichaels post because at the end of the day you should drive what YOU want and can afford. It's a personal decision. However, when you talk resale and collectability then there's less opinion. My point there is like the '03-04 Cobra compared to the '99-01, the '13-14 will be the one to own from that standpoint. Doesn't make me a nutswinger.
Personally other than the early Super Snake package, the '13-14 GT500 is the only s197 I personally liked enough to own.
-J

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The whole argument is dumb. I think J summed it up best. If you have $100k to burn (what he has in his I would bet or more) then you'd be a fool to not buy a 13-14 car. Better looking, more technology, more cubes, better blower to start with, etc etc.

However--If you care MORE about brute force performance than you care about Navigation, gay ass glass roofs, electric steering, AND you'd also like to pocket $55-60k vs throwing it at your car like mentioned above (you can build a 140mph 07-09 car for $35k), then you'd be a bigger fool to not buy a 07-10 car.

If I could do it all over again, I'd buy a 2010. I prefer the looks of the 10-14 body and I'd still have an iron block that is less prone to going BOOM than the 5.8.

And im not someone who had to be selective based on price. Im not making a payment on my 07 (purchased in April of this year) so I could have bought whatever I wanted but I REALLY wanted the iron motor.

My $.02.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Its very simple. Get what you can affort and mod it to your liking.

If you are on a budget and looking to go crazy with mods, get yourself an earlier cheaper model and sink your money into it.

If you want the better car and have the money to afford it.. Get yourself the 13-14. You can either lightly mod it or get crazy with it.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
This last page reminds me of the few 03-04 guys that swear they have the best car with the strongest motor. The baddest stang cause they can get it cheap and mod it.

I mean damn, if that is the case, the Fox guys have us ALL covered!

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
IMG_6571.JPG
This last page reminds me of the few 03-04 guys that swear they have the best car with the strongest motor. The baddest stang cause they can get it cheap and mod it.

I mean damn, if that is the case, the Fox guys have us ALL covered!

Users who are viewing this thread