No Reserve: Ford 427ci SOHC Cammer V8 Crate Engine on BaT

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Crazy when an engine alone can be worth more than most cars. It is an amazing piece of engineering and history however so I can believe it, but still!

muscleatsrice

Established Member
Very cool.

My grandpa is a die hard GM guy and worked at the Michigan plant for 30 plus years. Every time I get to see him he talks about this 427 cammer and how bad it is. Hearing that from my grandpa is saying something.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Ford also had a stroked version a 488 cammer or was it Holman Moody that made it, but it also exist. Which makes for a replacement as both can not be differentiate from the outside but can be determined when you run the VIN on them on what they are as the SOHC has a very unique one. As they was stand alone engines and was to be put into competition bodies and so non road going types.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LOL at those (comments on BAT) who speculate it will end up being used. The buyer can do whatever they want to do with it, but it's just about certain this will retain museum status for it rarity.

_Snake_

Established Member
LOL at those (comments on BAT) who speculate it will end up being used. The buyer can do whatever they want to do with it, but it's just about certain this will retain museum status for it rarity.

It’s already been used according to the article.

First sentence: “This 427ci SOHC “Cammer” V8 was reportedly delivered new to racecar manufacturer Holman-Moody in 1966 and is said to have remained unused in the company’s inventory until the late-1970s.”

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@_Snake_, there is nothing in that paragraph or in the listing that states it was used. It DOES clearly say that it remained unused in the Holman-Moody inventory until the late-1970s. It was bought in 2022 by the current owner, who hasn't used it. There is no mentioned history from the late-1970s to 2022. But the seller clearly states in the comments below the listing that this engine is NOS. So never used.

2. The valve covers were masked off and then painted. No two done the exact same, but on the 1966 engines that myself and my father have had (1 being NOS) and seen over the years, this is the same general spot as you see here on this NOS crate engine.

3. Two Distributors were used on 427 SOHCs. The early engines used C5AF 12127 BY and the later engines such as this NOS 427 SOHC used C6AF 12127 AZ.

MICHAELPAUL

Established Member
I am in the process of installing one in my 1969 Mach 1. It is an Earl Wade engine.

Attachments

• 20221125_104214.jpg
    20221125_104214.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 79
  • FB_IMG_1676394077183.jpg
    FB_IMG_1676394077183.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 81

_Snake_

Established Member
@_Snake_, there is nothing in that paragraph or in the listing that states it was used. It DOES clearly say that it remained unused in the Holman-Moody inventory until the late-1970s. It was bought in 2022 by the current owner, who hasn't used it. There is no mentioned history from the late-1970s to 2022. But the seller clearly states in the comments below the listing that this engine is NOS. So never used.

2. The valve covers were masked off and then painted. No two done the exact same, but on the 1966 engines that myself and my father have had (1 being NOS) and seen over the years, this is the same general spot as you see here on this NOS crate engine.

3. Two Distributors were used on 427 SOHCs. The early engines used C5AF 12127 BY and the later engines such as this NOS 427 SOHC used C6AF 12127 AZ.

I see what you’re saying.

Fat Boss

Established Member
I walked into J. Bittle American in the fall of '89 and they had one on a stand for sale. They were asking $17.5k at the time.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
whoever buys it should just put it in a glass case and leave it untouched. it's almost an artifact now

Users who are viewing this thread