New Washing Machine Recommendations

03chromecobra

Jason Daily
Established Member
Our samsung top load washer had nothing but problems. Serviced seven times under warranty, all major problems. Finally, when the motherboard fried outside of warranty, we bought a speed queen. No issues in three years so far.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I went through all this a few years ago. They purposely design most of the front loaders so that the bearing replacement is absolutely a horrendous job. I looked into it and the bearings are cheap. But, it takes an hour or two to get down to them, plus they are press fit into the drum. And if the bearing has gone and gotten into the drum/race assembly, there's your $800 cost. And that's if the parts are actually available. And so was the fate of our first front loader, a Whirlpool.

Current front loader is a Maytag, 5-6 years old I think. I do prefer the front loaders, they really get the water out of the clothes, save a ton of water, and make it easier on the dryer.

I looked at the Speed Queens, but drum size is the deal breaker on them. I think they varied in warranty according to the model you got as well. With the size of family you have, I'd go front loader.

Don't spend a ton of money on one, you don't need the sanitize cycle, steam cleaner, wrinkle release version, etc. Nor do you need the fancy paint options, bluetooth messaging and such.

I do like that this one has a "stay fresh" cycle option. When you load is done, sometimes it's hard to get to it and empty it, and makes it more likely to sour. When the button is pressed as an add-on to a cycle, as soon as the load is done, a small fan comes on and continually pulls air through the drum. On top of that, it will lightly tumble the clothes every so often, just to keep the air going through them. Super handy if you run a load right before bed.

I would avoid Samsung and LG, as I've heard lots of non favorable stuff about them. FYI, whirlpool, maytag, GE and most other brands are made all in the same place. Very few actual manufacturing plants for them anymore. In fact, the whirlpool parts I put on my old machine were actually GE branded (controller board, shocking huh).

The days of washing machines lasting 20 plus years, just like all appliances, are long gone. IMO, anything past five years count your blessings.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I believe we have a GE set that we've had the better part of 15 years and IIRC, it was $600 on sale for both the washer and dryer. I've had to replace the thermostat in the dryer twice in that time, but that's been less than $5 in parts and a 15 min job. I know people who have the fanciest stuff and it always seems like something is going wrong, so whenever we upgrade, we'll be keeping it as simple as possible.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Had good service from Sears top loaders, 14+ years.
Currently have LG front loaders, they rated tops by Consumer Reports..

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
dont really thing the comparisons on machines 10-15 years old mean much when they continue making them shittier and shittier and every year.

adammdennis11

Established Member
Stay away from Samsung appliances, lowes bought back 4 of the five I purchased a few years ago thanks to the extended warranty I purchased. I currently have samsung washer and dryer, I've had to replace the water inlet valves on the washer, and 3 heater elements in 7 years.. parts are like 50 bucks each, I did the work myself..I had Good luck with May tag Neptune washer and dryer..lasted 13ish years before I changed brands. When I've had it with the Samsung washer and dryer, im going back to maytag.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Had good service from Sears top loaders, 14+ years.
Currently have LG front loaders, they rated tops by Consumer Reports..
I don't put much trust any longer in Consumer Reports reviews. I've had a number of appliances and products that tested "high" with CR but didn't work well during the time I had them, and more importantly failed in short time. A favorable review "today" means little if the product only lasts a couple of years and craps out. I would trust CR more if they did a 2-4 year follow-up. But that's not practical.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I don't put much trust any longer in Consumer Reports reviews. I've had a number of appliances and products that tested "high" with CR but didn't work well during the time I had them, and more importantly failed in short time. A favorable review "today" means little if the product only lasts a couple of years and craps out. I would trust CR more if they did a 2-4 year follow-up. But that's not practical.
CR is a starting point for a product I'm not knowledgeable with.
The last TV, & lawn mower I bought turned out to every reviewers top pick also..

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Samsung.
I like the quick wash setting, 32 min every night when I get home from work.
Owned since 2013

20220804_112409.jpeg
20220804_112417.jpeg

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
No frills basic GE washer/dryer. Both with manual knobs.

I don't need fancy; just something that works and lasts.

Users who are viewing this thread