New Rig: 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee L

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Picking this bad boy up tomorrow. 2023 Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve. :cool::cool::cool:

Finally got tired of the BMW X3M Comp. Ultimate driving machine?? Uhhh no. Ultimate pain in my ass. Literally and figuratively. 42k miles. Three batteries. Two alternators. Four sets of tires. A dash that likes to blink out on the highway. Seats that were designed for and made by masochists. Electric steering that was so vague around center but yet so responsive it made driving on the highway an absolute terror. The car was super unstable above 90 MPH. And more squeaks and rattles than you could shake a stick at. The good?? The engine sounded amazing and had tons of power. Power delivery and refinement sucked. It hits like an early 90’s Supra with an oversized turbo. Made great power for about 2500 rpm. I could go on. lol.

The Jeep though, I have high hopes this is a highway machine. Lots of tech. Massaging seats. Night vision. Level II driving assistance. Self leveling and variable height suspension. 5.7 L Hemi. 19 speaker McIntosh sound system. Yeah, I’m excited. lol.

Ride report after the weekend.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Funny thing, the engine and the tranny is one of the most reliable parts of the X3 M and in general, electronics wise though is a different story.

It also drive's pretty harsh for an SUV much more so for a BMW.

Just an FYI, Dodge is not know for being reliable in electronics either.

Congrats though, McIntosh OEM car systems sound sooooo damn good!

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Funny thing, the engine and the tranny is one of the most reliable parts of the X3 M and in general, electronics wise though is a different story.

It also drive's pretty harsh for an SUV much more so for a BMW.

Just an FYI, Dodge is not know for being reliable in electronics either.

Congrats though, McIntosh OEM car systems sound sooooo damn good!
Yeah, I never got a bad feel with the engine. She didn’t like cold. It would howl like crazy on a cold start under 20 F. The trans was a different story. I had an issue with the transfer case that required a tow to the dealer. The trans itself was like driving with someone first learning how to drive stick. Riiiide the clutch, then dump it.

These are company cars so risk and depreciation aren’t a concern. It’s just that the BMW took too many trips to the dealer. Which was 45 min from my house. I spent a lot of time in an Uber going back and forth. There is a Jeep dealer on my way home from work.

My wife’s daily is a Rubicon. So far, knock on wood, it has been solid. Fingers crossed on both. I haven’t read any real negative reports on the GC. It is new design for 21. So maybe not enough time for all the faults to show their heads yet??

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow 81k msrp for a GC with a 5.7. Good discount. Nice looking suv inside and out.

Was 23 the last year for the 5.7?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations! You got a decent discount on it, being a 2023. Dang, vehicle prices are climbing faster than a bear up a tree. It's a good looking SUV. Enjoy it! (y)

Last edited:

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow 81k msrp for a GC with a 5.7. Good discount. Nice looking suv inside and out.

Was 23 the last year for the 5.7?

Yes. Last year. That’s why I went after a 23 vs. 24. Def wanted the 5.7.
Congratulation! You got a decent discount on it, being a 2023. Dang, vehicle prices are climbing faster than a bear up a tree. It's a good looking SUV, but IMO they should have gone with a dark chrome upper trim (or on all the chrome trim) on certain paint colors, like black. Enjoy it! (y)

They do have a package, the elevation package (??), where the trim is blacked out. Sharp look. Couldn’t find one. :/

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Congrats! GC L's are great SUV's. Wonderful color. Summit trim level is tits.

Son and DIL picked their 2024 GC L Limited up about a month ago. They love it.

IMG_0887.jpeg
IMG_0888.jpeg

IMG_0889.jpeg
IMG_0890.jpeg
IMG_0891.jpeg
IMG_0893.jpeg

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The G Cherokees are super nice, but a word of advice. Get rid of it the moment you start hearing internal engine noises or problems start to arise. Any 5.7 and the Grand Cherokees especially were the Bain of my existence as an advisor.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I got a limited two row a while back. Already over 10k miles. No issues so far. Did buy the mopar 7 yr unlimited mile warranty.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The G Cherokees are super nice, but a word of advice. Get rid of it the moment you start hearing internal engine noises or problems start to arise. Any 5.7 and the Grand Cherokees especially were the Bain of my existence as an advisor.
What mileage did you start to have issues?

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks all.

Just got about 70 miles on it. It is everything I had hoped. Reliability concerns aside, this thing is amazing. The sound system is thee best I have ever heard. Enough to bring a wee tear to my eye. lol.

Have a good weekend y’all. I’m goin drivin…

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
What mileage did you start to have issues?

Hard to remember exactly but they were typically a few years old at that point so I would say 60k miles and greater. Had a couple 3.6 Grand Cherokees and Cherokees that ate up camshafts as well. From what I have seen the problems arise in the valvetrain and there were documented problems, but some of these issues are over 5 years old at this point so some of these issues should have been addressed by now.

They do have bad reputations among shops, and some shops won't even work on them, but it's not like every Jeep or Chrysler experiences is guaranteed to have issues, and you know there are tons of people who simply just dont take care of their vehicle maintenance. The best thing you can do is keep up on the maintenance and just be observant of any ticking or odd engine noises if they pop up. If I hear an engine tick on an FCA motor I'm going to assume the worst is coming.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Nice! You'll like it a lot and I'm sure it'll feel far more luxury/comfortable than the Beemer. Buddy had a '20 X4M Comp, recently swapped it for a '21 X5M Comp and yesterday received his RaceChips tune and dragy so we can see before/after.

Users who are viewing this thread