New Netflix Series "Dear White People"

Zemedici

Established Member
I laid out all the variables. We both were young with no credit history. I had more income and a longer work history. I was supposedly turned down because I didn't have a [long enough] credit history. Neither did she! What was the difference?

Could be PLENTY of reasons for that, of which are much simpler than race....

could be she did have credit history
could be the teller thought she was hot
could be the sole fact she was female
Could be her debt / income was higher

That's what we're getting at. Why does it ALWAYS have to come back to race? Could be plenty of reasons.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
A lot of what GT Premi is saying can go both ways.

I'll bite.

My dad was a firefighter, now retired. 30 years on the job.

Back in the mid 90's, he already had 10+ years on the job. Very diverse crew at his house, bunch of great guys. Black, white, italian and even a hispanic guy. One of the black guys (knew my dad before he became a firefighter at my dad's house) only had a few years on the job and a couple of write-ups against him.

A promotion came up for a Lt. spot on engine. My father and four others took the required exam. Weeks after the results, they moved the position to another house. Guess who got the job? The black guy. My dad scored 15 points higher, had more certifications, was never late, worked overtime, had Mayor commendations and was already trained as acting Lt. over his current 10 year career. ***EDIT*** Forgot to add. the black guy was the lowest scoring out of everyone. The hispanic fireman was the highest, followed by my dad, followed by two others and the black guy was the lowest.

I'm not my dad, but, at the same time, this could be racial as the "minority" received special treatment to be awarded something like that over someone clearly more qualified.

What are you honest thoughts?

Last edited:

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
I laid out all the variables. We both were young with no credit history. I had more income and a longer work history. I was supposedly turned down because I didn't have a [long enough] credit history. Neither did she! What was the difference?

Tits, my friend, tits. Hers are likely better than yours, LOL!

Seriously though, I didn't even know that a bank would issue a loan for a wedding!

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
As far as the bank thing, I've been denied for loans before. My wife applies, instant approval. I'm caucasian and my wife is Armenian. She "had" better credit, but, I made more money than her. Don't think it's a race thing.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
No the hell you wouldn't! All you've ever done is launch attacks at me out of left field. I've never once even mentioned you by name or implication, but you seem to always have something to say about me. And if you think these kinds of dumbass exchanges are the only times I post, perhaps you should travel around the forum more. Do you really think I have nearly 3000 posts only from having to deal with your ilk with this stupid ass shit??

First, off and most importantly, I am sorry.

I admit, I let frustration and not necessarily belief about a topic dictate some of my responses in these matters.

I am sorry for attacks or accusations aimed at you.

I have allowed frustration and anger about events being manipulated by the media and powers that be to be directed at you. I actually agree with you that racism still exists. I agree that it has made life for people harder.

Again, I am sorry and I understand if you reject my apology or refuse to forgive me.

Sent from my iPhone somewhere in Mexico

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
I see a trend here. When black people are offended at something it's a big deal. When white people are offended at something we are told to deal with it.

The double standard is, quite frankly, ridiculous. The people that scream racism the loudest tend to be the worst racists.

08mojo

Established Member
You literally swept floors and were handed a gift wrapped job, but you don't see how that would be unfair to somebody coming from the outside?

Are you that dense? I competed against a lot of people for my internships, past 'real' jobs and current job. Don't you understand that everyone is an outsider when looking for work (and many other facets of life)? I worked my ass off for my current position (both career wise and life in general)--not a ****ing thing was gifted to me.

If what you got from my post is that I 'literally swept floors and was handed a gift wrapped job,' I truly feel sorry for you. Enjoy living your life in misery, perhaps one day you'll wake up and realize you control your own destiny.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It goes both ways.

I was 22, just bought my first house. I went to Nebraska Furniture Mart to buy furniture for my entire house. I was fortunate to have worked through high school and college and be able to afford to pay cash for them, however since I just had my large downpayment taken out of my account, I wanted to do the 0% for 20 months instead.

I think I only had $15,500 or so, NFM approved me for a $1,000 credit card. Then, when I called in to see if talking to them would help, they ended up dropping it to $500 due to a miscalculation.

So I just wrote a check and told them I would take my business elsewhere from now on.

I hate being a white male.

Zemedici

Established Member

Hissman answered this below.

But I dont believe it has ANYTHING to do with your race, whatsoever. There's TONS of calculations that go into loans, and race isn't one of them.

So you're saying if you get a loan electronically through a credit union, and then go in to fill out the paperwork, they're going to go 'oh wait, you're a black guy? Give me that back'

Come on man, give me a break. You can continue to live the rest of your life with this chip on your shoulder about the situation, or you can let it go. Best part? NOTHING will change either way you decide, literally the only person that's going to be pissed off is you, the world will keep on spinning just as it always does.

It's actually a female thing. My wife was always able to get better loans and credit cards then I was, and she only worked part time and is 3 year younger than me. It's the same reason why life insurance rates are less for a woman than they are men. They just use the stupid tables that show averages of who is likely to live longer for that. Banking, I am sure it is something similar.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Could be PLENTY of reasons for that, of which are much simpler than race....

could be she did have credit history
could be the teller thought she was hot
could be the sole fact she was female
Could be her debt / income was higher

That's what we're getting at. Why does it ALWAYS have to come back to race? Could be plenty of reasons.

Other than her being a "hot" female, none of those other items was a factor at all. I believe she talked to the same female loan officer that I did. Like I said, we literally never left the parking lot. I went back to the car dejected, and sent her in out of morbid curiosity. It did piss me off at the time that she was approved and I wasn't.

A lot of what GT Premi is saying can go both ways.

I'll bite.

My dad was a firefighter, now retired. 30 years on the job.

Back in the mid 90's, he already had 10+ years on the job. Very diverse crew at his house, bunch of great guys. Black, white, italian and even a hispanic guy. One of the black guys (knew my dad before he became a firefighter at my dad's house) only had a few years on the job and a couple of write-ups against him.

A promotion came up for a Lt. spot on engine. My father and four others took the required exam. Weeks after the results, they moved the position to another house. Guess who got the job? The black guy. My dad scored 15 points higher, had more certifications, was never late, worked overtime, had Mayor commendations and was already trained as acting Lt. over his current 10 year career. ***EDIT*** Forgot to add. the black guy was the lowest scoring out of everyone. The hispanic fireman was the highest, followed by my dad, followed by two others and the black guy was the lowest.

I'm not my dad, but, at the same time, this could be racial as the "minority" received special treatment to be awarded something like that over someone clearly more qualified.

What are you honest thoughts?

I think "hispanics" are minorities, too, sooo... I don't know what to tell ya.

First, off and most importantly, I am sorry.

I admit, I let frustration and not necessarily belief about a topic dictate some of my responses in these matters.

I am sorry for attacks or accusations aimed at you.

I have allowed frustration and anger about events being manipulated by the media and powers that be to be directed at you. I actually agree with you that racism still exists. I agree that it has made life for people harder.

Again, I am sorry and I understand if you reject my apology or refuse to forgive me.

Sent from my iPhone somewhere in Mexico

Apology accepted and water under the bridge from here out.

I see a trend here. When black people are offended at something it's a big deal. When white people are offended at something we are told to deal with it.

The double standard is, quite frankly, ridiculous. The people that scream racism the loudest tend to be the worst racists.

Does this ring a bell? "I get so sick of black people always whining about <insert grievance>! Slavery was over 150 years ago! They need to shut up and get over it!" Your veil of privilege will have to be pretty opaque for you not to have seen those statements around this forum virtually every damned day.

Hissman answered this below.

But I dont believe it has ANYTHING to do with your race, whatsoever. There's TONS of calculations that go into loans, and race isn't one of them.

So you're saying if you get a loan electronically through a credit union, and then go in to fill out the paperwork, they're going to go 'oh wait, you're a black guy? Give me that back'

Come on man, give me a break. You can continue to live the rest of your life with this chip on your shoulder about the situation, or you can let it go. Best part? NOTHING will change either way you decide, literally the only person that's going to be pissed off is you, the world will keep on spinning just as it always does.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder about the situation. All I said was the scenario you presented actually happened to me. If you guys want to explain away what happened to me, why can't you explain away your scenario, too? It goes both ways, right?

Zemedici

Established Member
Other than her being a "hot" female, none of those other items was a factor at all. I believe she talked to the same female loan officer that I did. Like I said, we literally never left the parking lot. I went back to the car dejected, and sent her in out of morbid curiosity. It did piss me off at the time that she was approved and I wasn't.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder about the situation. All I said was the scenario you presented actually happened to me. If you guys want to explain away what happened to me, why can't you explain away your scenario, too? It goes both ways, right?

Quick Question : Are you a certified loan officer?

Yes / no question, shouldnt warrant more of an answer than that. When you answer we can move forward.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Same thing that happened to you happened to me. Bank loan officer must hate Irish people.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Quick Question : Are you a certified loan officer?

Yes / no question, shouldnt warrant more of an answer than that. When you answer we can move forward.

What difference does it make? Being a certified loan officer magically erases racial bias? If that's the case, everybody should be required to become certified loan officers.

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
Other than her being a "hot" female, none of those other items was a factor at all. I believe she talked to the same female loan officer that I did.

So I was right about the tits, and it sounds like you might have missed an opportunity here. Was the loan officer hot too?

Zemedici

Established Member
What difference does it make? Being a certified loan officer magically erases racial bias? If that's the case, everybody should be required to become certified loan officers.

again, yes or no

I should have taken bets that you wouldnt answer the question

Blown 89

Established Member
[QUOTE="GT Premi]
Does this ring a bell? "I get so sick of black people always whining about <insert grievance>! Slavery was over 150 years ago! They need to shut up and get over it!" Your veil of privilege will have to be pretty opaque for you not to have seen those statements around this forum virtually every damned day.[/QUOTE]
Not even remotely comparable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread