New gauge pod alternative! comments?

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Got an update for those of you following this project of mine. I'm just too excited not to share it.

The first gauge pods came in today from my manufacturer. What has seemed like an eternal wait seemed to wash away the moment I picked up the first pod that I didn't build by hand. All I can say is the finished pods are amazing; the build quality meets my expectations completely.

I can now finally say that I expect to have an anticipated shipping date confirmed within the next two weeks. Once that ship date is set, I'll see what I can do with the mods of this forum to arrange a group purchase.

Thanks again for all the support and emails, I'm really looking forward to getting these pods in you guys' hands. It also seems that at least one of my prototype pillars will be at the 40th anniversary event in Nashville, so anyone going can hopefully spot them there. I'm certain the owner will be happy to show you.

Regards,

Alan

TRBO VNM

great alan,

how about the 2 pod with raptor option? you done with the prototype yet? When you are happy with it, will you have to go through this wait with the manufacturer since it is a different design?

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
No, the raptor option will not require the lengthy design/tooling process the pillars have had to go through. My intent is the raptor may be added at any time to my pillars, or to any other pods/surface in the car. I've settled on a look that I'm after, now just need to find a material that will be relatively easy to mass produce while meeting my design criteria. Shouldn't be too hard, but the pillars take priority for the moment.

I'll keep you posted as things develop.

Thanks,

Alan

adam

Established Member
Alan,

You going to be bringing any of them up to Gateway to WFC???

If you did, would you be able to sell them there.

Just some wishful thinking on my part.. Thanks for all your work.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Actually, the white 03 vert on my website is owned by a guy originally from the St. Louis area. He will probably be going to the WFC, but I'm not certain about that.

I'll check the dates and see if it's a possibility my pods will be ready. If so, ROAD TRIP!

I should have a few more updates early next week, and I'll keep you guys posted as always.

Thanks,

Alan

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I want one! Just got my raptor shift light and I'm on the dynojet wideband purchase so I need a pod for that gauge. Just have to figure out what the other gauge will be...hmmm....maybe nitrous.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Since it was requested in another thread, I'm bringing this one back up for another forum member.

Updates on my progress are:

Pods are done with manufacturing. First shipment will arrive at my door next week.

Final assembly will start after the pods arrive. I've been working hard to get involved with people as passionate about quality as I am, and believe I have found them.

I now anticipate, with a good degree of confidence, that finished product will ship in late April. With a little luck, I'll be at the 40th Mustang rally in Nashville with the pods. At worst, I know there will be a car or couple with my pods there for anyone interested to check them out in person.

A little off topic, but I had to show this:

Had these made for my mustang, replacing the oem badges with my logo. Nice work, what do you guys think?

sos2.jpg

Alan

TRBO VNM

looks good...what is your company called?

Will you be able to utilize these pods with the raptor modification you were designing? If so, then those of us that wanted the 2 pod pillar and raptor option can get these right?

Have you figured out prices yet for just the pod? They will be color matched right?

thanks and can't wait to see the final product.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Alan, When the pods are done will it be possible to buy one off of you're website? I'm anxiously waiting for the dual pod for my convertible. :-D

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Can we get on a list? Are you taking preorders?
I'm holding off installing my gauges and shift light until I can get your pod. Hopefully I won't blow another motor while I'm waiting. ;-)

SynMan5.0

Established Member
I would like to be part of a possible pre-order or group purchase. Keep us informed and good work! :thumbsup:

Swervedriver

Established Member
I guess there wont be a single gauge pod?

I just got an FJO with the 2-1/16" round gauge & I don't want or need a stack of gauges.

I was just about ready to buy a cheap gauge cup but would much rather have something nice.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Lot of good questions; I'll answer them the best I can for now.

The company is called Speed of Sound. My site is www.speedofsoundllc.com

The raptor mod to the design is getting closer to completion. It will be a very simple part that will adhere to the pods. If all goes well, it may also be an attractive option for mounting the light in other places. My plan is for the raptor mount to be installed at any time, even to pods already installed previously.

Pricing is getting close to finalized. It looks like I'll be able to sell them at/slightly under $100. Still a rough guess, but dont expect any wild deviations from this number.

Color matched = definitely. I'll confirm your color using the interior code from your car's VIN number, if needed.

Ordering on the website is also a "yes". The software is in place to accept payment by secure online methods, and paypal will be an option for those who choose that method.

As for a pre-order list, I'm unsure how the mods feel about me posting a group purchase. If a mod can chime in and approve this, I'll get one started. If you prefer, send me an email through the site and give me some contact info. I'll follow up with further info as it arises.

A single pod is definitely doable with my chosen manufacturing process. A triple is once again being experimented with. I'd say a dual or single will be available first, with a triple to follow when it's deemed correct in appearance/function.

Hope this helps everyone, feel free to ask anything you'd like more details with. I'll be happy to fill you in.

Alan

Swervedriver

Established Member
So Alan what kind of timeline are we looking at before I can get one of these.

Right now I've got my FJO gauge zip tied to the steering column & my friends think I've gone crazy, but I don't want to put holes in the steering column to cup mount the gauge if I'm just going to install the A-piller pod...

Updates?

Users who are viewing this thread