New best with the Roush/TVS today

kevinp

Established Member
Figured I'd head out to the track today ad try the 82mm pulley out, last time was March and it was some great blower weather (-300 DA) and with the 90mm pulley it ran 10.83 @ 128 or so.

Today I threw the 82mm pulley on, weather was decent (+500 DA, 60 degrees) so if it ran the same as the 90mm in -500 DA weather I'd be happy. Only thing thats different from March was I put a steel 1 piece PST driveshaft in the car and the 82mm pulley, I used Justin's 90mm tune and just backed off the timing a bit in some RPM ranges and added a little more fuel to be safe.

Exact list of Mods:

2011 base GT auto, 7990 miles (put the blower on with 1200 miles on it), 3/4 tank of fuel.

Roush/TVS 2.3 supercharger with a VMP 82mm pulley, 9psi.

Slightly modified VMP tune.

Roush rear springs.

K&N drop in air filter.

PST 1 piece steel driveshaft.

Stock front wheels/tires, stock rear wheels with M/T 265/18 drag radials.

GT500 mufflers (for sound).

Edelbrock panhard bar (to center rear).

Removed jack/spare.

Made three passes, best was off the trailer 10.708 @ 131.9, car didnt hook well but it still ran decent. Second pass it spun a little more and I didnt have much cooldown time, ran a 10.80 @ 130. Third pass spun pretty bad when it shifted second so I had to let off completely and get back on it, still ran a 10.85 which surprised me as much as I had to back off the throttle.

Pic of the first two slips:

IMG_0459.gif

Thought I'd run the car across the scales, this is without me in it, I weigh 235 and the scale read 3885 with me in it.

IMG_0456.gif

Video of the best pass, FWIW the Challenger next to me had a Magnusson supercharger and some other mods, same 2.3 TVS b,ower. Nice guy that owned it, needless to say he was pretty shocked when I pulled away from pretty quick.

th_Video4.gif

All in all I'm pretty happy with this setup, this isnt a race car its my daily driver so I'm not trying to squeeze every tenth out of it or lose sleep if its not within .05 each pass. I'm about at the limit of these little 18" drag radials on stock suspension parts, its hooks OK but a good set of 275/60 DRs and some LCA brackets/LCAs would probably help the 60 foot enough to get it in the 60s or 50s on a good day.

But since I dont want to make a race car out of this I'll just leave it as-is, car still drives/rides like stock and I dont want to mess it up ;)

JerryC

Established Member
Awesome Kevin !

Reading this I thought "wonder if he got a good burnout in before the passes", then i watched the video, yep, you have that covered. :)

After the passes did the track officials give you the stink eye?

What did you change in the tune for the new pulley? I got the impression that Justin's tune covered 90 - 82mm pulleys.

kevinp

Established Member
Awesome Kevin !

Reading this I thought "wonder if he got a good burnout in before the passes", then i watched the video, yep, you have that covered. :)

After the passes did the track officials give you the stink eye?

What did you change in the tune for the new pulley? I got the impression that Justin's tune covered 90 - 82mm pulleys.

I just pulled a couple degrees of timing out down low and 1 degree or so after 6400rpm and added a little fuel, my first 90mm tune from Justin was pretty aggressive, I think he has backed them off a bit in his later tunes and they will work with the 82mm.

I was just being careful on 93, it may have taken more timing but like I said as long as it ran better than the last time I was happy.

Nobody working at the track pays any attention to this car, it looks/sounds just like stock so it doesnt attract any attention on T&T days.

JerryC

Established Member
Better safe than sorry.

I think I'll wait till next year to hit the 1/4 mile track and give them time to forget me. I left after two passes and nobody came to talk to me but I didnt want to get too much attention.

Do they ask you to open the hood at tech inspection?

kevinp

Established Member
So no clutch? I'm wondering how long my clutch will last with the Whipple.

Mine is an auto, but my guess is the stock clutch wont last long at the dragstip.

nice! what diameter tire?

M/T advertises it as 26.5" diameter, its closer to 26. Pretty short tire with almost no sidewall on a 18" wheel, its amazing they work as well as they do.

JerryC

Established Member
I just pulled a couple degrees of timing out down low and 1 degree or so after 6400rpm and added a little fuel, my first 90mm tune from Justin was pretty aggressive, I think he has backed them off a bit in his later tunes and they will work with the 82mm.

I was just being careful on 93, it may have taken more timing but like I said as long as it ran better than the last time I was happy.

Nobody working at the track pays any attention to this car, it looks/sounds just like stock so it doesnt attract any attention on T&T days.

Just thinking this over...

So with better/bigger tires, and the timing put back in with either Torco or race gas you could be in the low tens or less. Wow.

scott_0

Established Member
very nice pass, car is really impressive! got off the line quick

kevinp

Established Member
Just thinking this over...

So with better/bigger tires, and the timing put back in with either Torco or race gas you could be in the low tens or less. Wow.

Justin from VMP and Omar down in LA proved low 10s was more than possible with some drag wheels/tires and better fuel/more aggressive tune. I think Rebecca ran 10.5x at BG with pretty much the same setup I ran last spring so I'm not too far off the pace, if it wasnt 200 miles to any decent 1/4 mile track around I'd fool with it a little more, but after taking two stock LS1 firebirds and making them into 8-9 second NHRA legal street (*cough* race) cars I just dont want to go down that road again - until next spring maybe :)

Nice run Kevin. What rpm is your car shifting @?

7000rpm, I should have raised it up some but I forgot the dongle for the PRP software and I couldnt change it. Thats what sucks about living 250 miles from the track :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread