New best with the Roush/TVS today

kevinp

Established Member
how much did the springs drop the rear? did the panhard bar make a big difference?

About 5/8 - 3/4 of an inch drop, the blower dropped the front a little so it worked out well. Main reason I like the Roush springs is the rear doesnt squat as bad, the stock springs are pretty soft and nailing the throttle at 40mph it would squat so bad I thought the tires were going to hit inside the wheelwell. Granted the ride is a bit stiffer but its not bad.

I just did the panhard to center the rear, with the stock tires you couldnt notice the rear was off but with the 285s you could really see one side sticking out further than the other. Only difference it made was a little more noise from the poly bushings. I'd prefer the stocker to be honest, if it was centered better.

cmsnake

Established Member
Congrats kevip! Great times with such minimal mods!

How did the stick clutches in the rear burn up so quick? Is this normal with just a blower?

kevinp

Established Member
Congrats kevip! Great times with such minimal mods!

How did the stick clutches in the rear burn up so quick? Is this normal with just a blower?

First time I went to the track it was pretty slick, I'm used to having spools and the first pass the car spun 600' or so and since the car wasnt going sideways I didnt realize what was going on. Turns out it was just one wheel spinning lol, after that the rear end fluid smelled burned and you could tell the LSD wasnt working well any more. When I took the stock clutches out it looked like someone took a torch to them, it was an easy job to switch out the clutches, didnt even take the diff out. The carbon clutches are a lot better IMO, they will moan around turns after a while but a few figure 8s in the parking lot quiets them down for a few thousand miles.

The stock ones would still be in there but that was my screwup, lot of guys kill them doing a burnout as well when one tire is in the water and the other isnt. I look at it as a ' forced upgrade' ;)

cmsnake

Established Member
First time I went to the track it was pretty slick, I'm used to having spools and the first pass the car spun 600' or so and since the car wasnt going sideways I didnt realize what was going on. Turns out it was just one wheel spinning lol, after that the rear end fluid smelled burned and you could tell the LSD wasnt working well any more. When I took the stock clutches out it looked like someone took a torch to them, it was an easy job to switch out the clutches, didnt even take the diff out. The carbon clutches are a lot better IMO, they will moan around turns after a while but a few figure 8s in the parking lot quiets them down for a few thousand miles.

The stock ones would still be in there but that was my screwup, lot of guys kill them doing a burnout as well when one tire is in the water and the other isnt. I look at it as a ' forced upgrade' ;)
Ahhh gotcha. Nothing wrong with a 'forced upgrade' lol.

Turbosixx

Established Member
My car has been 1.55's on 17" MT's. That's the same 3.15 gear and stock converter. I have a friend that has a 3200 Circle D and 3.73's (on 15" MT's) with the TVS and his 60's are the same as mine.

The way our cars are set up with just the blower and tires leaves plenty room for improvement in the future, but with the current "performance per practicality", I'm in no rush to change anything.

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
My car has been 1.55's on 17" MT's. That's the same 3.15 gear and stock converter. I have a friend that has a 3200 Circle D and 3.73's (on 15" MT's) with the TVS and his 60's are the same as mine.

The way our cars are set up with just the blower and tires leaves plenty room for improvement in the future, but with the current "performance per practicality", I'm in no rush to change anything.

Yea, I'm pretty sure with a better set of tires the 60 foot would drop a little. But honestly its pretty cool to roll up on the stock 18" wheels and run 10s. Like you said though, plenty of room for upgrades/improvements. Its good to see all the TVS cars running pretty much the same for the same mods, goes to show there are no tricks or BS with these.

Turbosixx

Established Member
Exactly. There's these threads where people are on the fence about which way to go. If you go the TVS route its pretty much a guarantee that you'll transform an auto 5.0 into a 10 second car that can be driven anywhere on pump gas.

kevinp

Established Member
Exactly. There's these threads where people are on the fence about which way to go. If you go the TVS route its pretty much a guarantee that you'll transform an auto 5.0 into a 10 second car that can be driven anywhere on pump gas.

Not only driven anywhere but it drives like a 100% stock car, which it pretty much is except with a couple hundred extra horsepower. As much as I hate to admit it Ford got it right with these cars, shame they didnt decide to use the boss pistons and rods in everything.

kevinp

Established Member
with that MPH it will turn a low 10!

Yea, if the trans was shifting perfect and it hooked perfect I think it would have run a 10.5x. There is some kind of torque management thing going on with the 1-2 and 2-3 shift that doesnt happen with the 7psi pulley so it caught me off guard at the track. Plus I forgot the dongle for the SCT software so I couldnt mess with it. Like I said its not real easy to test the car on the street, but I may hit a local 1/8 mile track that has decent prep and play with the shifting some.

I'm happy with it as-is, dont have the time to get serious with the car and look for tenths right now - maybe next year..

Buster

Established Member
Yea, I'm pretty sure with a better set of tires the 60 foot would drop a little. But honestly its pretty cool to roll up on the stock 18" wheels and run 10s. Like you said though, plenty of room for upgrades/improvements. Its good to see all the TVS cars running pretty much the same for the same mods, goes to show there are no tricks or BS with these.

Here's a great 18" tire. I'm not 100% sure they'll fit the 11-12's but they fit my SN95. I went 8.86 on this tire.

Ratings, reviews and specifications for Nitto NT05R Drag Radial tires

I think you'd want some more gear as the tire's 29" tall, even at 29" its pretty stealth on stock wheels .

kevinp

Established Member
Here's a great 18" tire. I'm not 100% sure they'll fit the 11-12's but they fit my SN95. I went 8.86 on this tire.

Ratings, reviews and specifications for Nitto NT05R Drag Radial tires

I think you'd want some more gear as the tire's 29" tall, even at 29" its pretty stealth on stock wheels .

Those are good tires, I was going to use them on my 9.5" wide GT500 wheels (they wont fit too well on the 18x8s I have the 265s M/Ts on) when I wear the F1s out. But most likely I'll pick up a set of 15" drag wheels if I get more serious.

svt1111

Established Member
Kevin,

Awesome pass! That car is really moving out. I figured with decent air and that pulley it would really fly, and it does. Its funny in that video how hard you smacked the Challenger, and it even had a PDB!

You've attained my goal. Go solid 10's on the stock wheels with a quiet car. Hope to be there in the future too. The shifting is the most frustrating part about these setups though, it sounds like your's is doing the same thing as mine, a pause between shifts.

kevinp

Established Member
Kevin,

Awesome pass! That car is really moving out. I figured with decent air and that pulley it would really fly, and it does. Its funny in that video how hard you smacked the Challenger, and it even had a PDB!

You've attained my goal. Go solid 10's on the stock wheels with a quiet car. Hope to be there in the future too. The shifting is the most frustrating part about these setups though, it sounds like your's is doing the same thing as mine, a pause between shifts.

The shifting isnt great for sure, it just hangs at 7000rpm for what seems forever on thr 1-2 and 2-3 shift. With the 7psi pulley it doesnt do it that bad though.

Its possible it may be misfiring up there, I drive the car like an old man most of the time and the plugs may be just a little dirty. Problem is the plugs are so expensive for these it can get expensive throwing new plugs in all the time. I may pick up a set of the colder ford racing plugs just for track duty.

The thing I have noticed with the shifts is the better the car hooks out of the hole the better it shifts, if it spins a bit it shifts funky. I was going to try raising the shift points (they are at 7000 now), some suggested that it will help some. I was also going to turn off all the trans torque reduction and see what happens. But like I said I forgot the little USB key so I could change things, one thing I should have done was swap the 90mm pulley back on for the heck of it since I was there.

But I'm not really sure how much it will translate into actual ET if it shifts better, looking at VMP's timeslips from October 2010 at Bowling green they were running 10.60 @ 130 in about the same weather with similar 60 foots but I was .05 slower on the 1/8 mile and a tenth slower in the 1/4. So most likely the shifting is costing a tenth or so. They may have been a lighter though, I weigh 235 and I'm pretty sure Rebecca weighs less that me, but they may have had a roll bar in there too.

I'll fool with it more in the spring, I really do daily drive it and honestly I am pretty happy with the whole package as-is.

Last edited:

Scotty07

Loser
Established Member
Very impressive. Makes me all the more want to get off the fence and buy a 2012 with an A6 and then add a TVS or Whipple.

JerryC

Established Member
Makes me wonder if the computer can remember you spinning out of the hole and pull power on the shifts. I've seen that on my car a couple of times as well.

I think Rebecca just might be lighter than you :)

Last edited:

try03venom

Established Member
Those are good tires, I was going to use them on my 9.5" wide GT500 wheels (they wont fit too well on the 18x8s I have the 265s M/Ts on) when I wear the F1s out. But most likely I'll pick up a set of 15" drag wheels if I get more serious.

275/45/18 M&H drag tires on AM 18x10 factory repros a 28" tire tread 9.5" and section 10.9" This is my combo and will have to wait till april now tracks closed till then

try03venom

Established Member
Makes me wonder if the computer can remember you spinning out of the hole and pull power on the shifts. I've seen that on my car a couple of times as well.

I think Rebecca just might be lighter than you :)

lol next mod driver weight reduction !

try03venom

Established Member
The shifting isnt great for sure, it just hangs at 7000rpm for what seems forever on thr 1-2 and 2-3 shift. With the 7psi pulley it doesnt do it that bad though.

Its possible it may be misfiring up there, I drive the car like an old man most of the time and the plugs may be just a little dirty. Problem is the plugs are so expensive for these it can get expensive throwing new plugs in all the time. I may pick up a set of the colder ford racing plugs just for track duty.

Kevin think you nailed it spark blow out! SC cars with colder plugs gap .035 minimum you still running the factory gap and plugs?

Users who are viewing this thread