New best with the Roush/TVS today

JerryC

Established Member
Justin from VMP and Omar down in LA proved low 10s was more than possible with some drag wheels/tires and better fuel/more aggressive tune. I think Rebecca ran 10.5x at BG with pretty much the same setup I ran last spring so I'm not too far off the pace, if it wasnt 200 miles to any decent 1/4 mile track around I'd fool with it a little more, but after taking two stock LS1 firebirds and making them into 8-9 second NHRA legal street (*cough* race) cars I just dont want to go down that road again - until next spring maybe :)

Yeah I know but it's still hard to believe. I got another tune from Justin with the stock part throttle upshift and down shift patterns and it really does drive like a stocker. Just goofing around town it is showing 21.6 MPG too.

7000rpm, I should have raised it up some but I forgot the dongle for the PRP software and I couldnt change it. Thats what sucks about living 250 miles from the track :(

Mine is shifting at 7200-7300, it feels like it drops off some after 7000, especially in third. Justin has done a lot of track testing with Rebecca's car so I guess he has set for the fastest ET's.

kevinp

Established Member
Mine is shifting at 7200-7300, it feels like it drops off some after 7000, especially in third. Justin has done a lot of track testing with Rebecca's car so I guess he has set for the fastest ET's.

Sometimes mine will seem like it hangs at 7000rpm on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, I can run it right up on the 7500 limiter if I leave in second so its not a missfire or losing power, but I think there may be some torque reduction going on somewhere. If the SCT logger was worth a crap I could find out for sure, but at WOT the thing freezes 99% of the time.

Not sure if its really costing much ET or mph, just seems like it hits 69-7000rpm and stops making power for a bit before it shifts, the 3-4 shift is fine though. The 82mm pulley brings it out even more. The 90mm shifts fine 99% of time at WOT.

I need to spend some time at a track rental to fool with it, I'm in a populated area and testing the 2-3 shift at 90mph a lot isnt a smart thing to do.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Congrats Kevin. Were these runs made with traction control on, like the ones from this spring? Thanks...

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
Sometimes mine will seem like it hangs at 7000rpm on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, I can run it right up on the 7500 limiter if I leave in second so its not a missfire or losing power, but I think there may be some torque reduction going on somewhere. If the SCT logger was worth a crap I could find out for sure, but at WOT the thing freezes 99% of the time.

Not sure if its really costing much ET or mph, just seems like it hits 69-7000rpm and stops making power for a bit before it shifts, the 3-4 shift is fine though. The 82mm pulley brings it out even more. The 90mm shifts fine 99% of time at WOT.

I need to spend some time at a track rental to fool with it, I'm in a populated area and testing the 2-3 shift at 90mph a lot isnt a smart thing to do.
2-3 shift isn't at 90mph

kevinp

Established Member
2-3 shift isn't at 90mph

Sure, its around 70-75mph, but who lets off right at the 2-3 shift.

2.34 2nd gear, 3.15 rear, 27.5" tire and 7000rpm.

Point is its not a smart thing to do on fairly crowded streets often.

kevinp

Established Member
Congrats Kevin. Were these runs made with traction control on, like the ones from this spring? Thanks...

Nope, turned it off this time, it wasnt 45 degrees and misting, it was a balmy 62 degrees and sunny. Plus they were running a fast heads up class so the track prep was pretty good.

kevinp

Established Member
Hey man I would leave the converter and gears alone. Maybe if your having problems with your traction lock then it might be worth putting a little more gear in it.

I have no plans on changing the gear, works fine for me, with a 4.17 1st gear in the trans there is plenty to get the car off the line.

I did burn up the stock posi clutches though first time to the track, I replaced them a while back with the GT500 carbon clutches and they work 100x better than the stock clutches.

kevinp

Established Member
OK, thanks Kevin.

No problem, I'm really not sure how much difference the TC made that day, it was pretty weird how the two passes with it off spun the tires for 500' and it ran 10.80s with it on. Could have been total coincidence, but if it wasnt for the TC the car would be a handful to drive in the rain from a stop if you give it a little too much throttle so I'm glad its there.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
So did the track take everything the car had this time? I am assuming that that is the case? Thanks...

kevinp

Established Member
So did the track take everything the car had this time? I am assuming that that is the case? Thanks...

Yes, the track was pretty well prepped, but it never did 'dead hook.' It didnt spin bad but it still spun a little off the line. Cant expect much more with all stock suspension parts and a low profile 18" tire, I'm really surprised the tires work as well as they do, obviously the suspension isnt too bad either since I believe a few cars have been in the 9s with mostly stock parts and better tires.

If yoy watch the video close you can see how the front comes up then drops right back down, thats when the tires let go. Hard to say how much that makes a difference in the 60 foot times though.

kevinp

Established Member
I wonder if front swaybar removal would make a big difference?

Wouldnt hurt :) But thats getting away from what I want to do, its a slippery slope when you start unbolting things..

LCA relocation brackets would probably help the most.

But some 15" tires would help the most of all.

I'm not worried about it, like I said I'm amazed what these tires will do. IMO just bolting a blower on, loading a tune, throwing some drag radials on stock wheels and running 10.70s is pretty cool. Not to mention over 25mpg on the highway and a very nice riding, decent handling car that feels like it has a 500cid big block under the hood.

Last edited:

Bud

Established Member
IMO just bolting a blower on, loading a tune, throwing some drag radials on stock wheels and running 10.70s is pretty cool. Not to mention over 25mpg on the highway and a very nice riding, decent handling car that feels like it has a 500cid big block under the hood.

Combine that with a quiet, stock looking car ripping off solid 10's that most people wouldn't expect and it is a perfect package.

I ran steeda's lightweight radiator support and took off my front sway bar and with the same radials only ran a 1.78 60ft spinning like crazy out of the hole. If you are getting 1.6's and those times/mph there is no sense in changing anything except maybe tire.

Users who are viewing this thread