NBA cancels the rest of the seaeon

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
No surprise since a player was found with the CV.

Doubt they wanted to risk getting more players sick. Probably wouldn't of cancelled the season if Rudy didn't get sick

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Just take everyones Temp at the door like they do in China at certain restraunts. Fairly quick and efficient way to rule out the sick from the healthy.

Not going to work.

Part of the reason this thing has spread so fast so soon is because people tried the same methods of detecting it as other viruses but it doesn't act remotely like any of the known ones, and that was figured out too late.

Unlike most other known viruses, a person doesn't have to be showing symptoms to be contagious. Hell, someone who'll NEVER show symptoms can still be contagious.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Well, jus like the regular flu ur not gonna be able to contain every single case. Shit, Tom Hanks and his wife have it. OMG the world is ending! 98% of those who get this virus will be treated and fine. Just like the regular flu.

Ppl some how got this notion its like the Plague or something. Like if u get it ur DEAD! Thanx CNN and MSNBC smh. If ur immune system is weak yep u can die, just like the regular flu.

Not going to work.

Part of the reason this thing has spread so fast so soon is because people tried the same methods of detecting it as other viruses but it doesn't act remotely like any of the known ones, and that was figured out too late.

Unlike most other known viruses, a person doesn't have to be showing symptoms to be contagious. Hell, someone who'll NEVER show symptoms can still be contagious.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
If MLB cancels their season, I’ll riot. (Possibly alone, but that won’t stop me)

People exist who would lose their minds if professional sports ceased for a period of time. They'd be more concerned over "insert league name here" not operating than a virus that could be harmful to the wrong person. Crazy.

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I don't think the NBA wants to cancel the season, but it's already the middle of March. Regular season officially ends in about 30 days. I don't see this situation resolved in 30 days. So, the NBA might not have a choice, but to cancel.

Unless they want to end the regular season now and rank the teams as they currently sit and then do some form of playoffs in May or June. Not sure how feasible that would be and if the players union would agree to it. Then again everything is driven by the almighty dollar, so I'm sure they will do whatever they can to reduce the risk of exposure and limit revenue loss.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
People exist who would lose their minds if professional sports ceased for a period of time. They'd be more concerned over "insert league name here" not operating than a virus that could be harmful to the wrong person. Crazy.

Who said I wasn’t more concerned about the well-being of others?

You’re wrongly assuming my solo-riot means I value baseball more than understanding the seriousness of the issue.

bigja01cobra

Established Member
if the cities start banning large sporting events it completely defeats the purposes and money making opportunities (taxes) for the city. Watching games on TV generates no income to the businesses in and around sports arenas. The NBA like all businesses is here to make money and no one at the games buying tickets concessions etc eats into that income. My question is are they going to refund the season ticket owners etc.. and now what will those people who now have more disposable income going to do with that money. Buy more TP???

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
If the MLB decides to close stadiums at least the Pittsburgh Pirates won’t notice any difference. Nobody wants to see a poorly run farm team for the rest of MLB.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Well, jus like the regular flu ur not gonna be able to contain every single case. Shit, Tom Hanks and his wife have it. OMG the world is ending! 98% of those who get this virus will be treated and fine. Just like the regular flu.

Ppl some how got this notion its like the Plague or something. Like if u get it ur DEAD! Thanx CNN and MSNBC smh. If ur immune system is weak yep u can die, just like the regular flu.

Way to downplay it, dude.

Flu has a known mortality rate of .1%. The flu killed 30K Americans this past season and is not nearly as easily spread as Covid-19, which has TEN TIMES the mortality rate of the flu. And we have a vaccine for the flu that's mildly effective. Think about that.

Sure, you and I might be relatively safe, since I don't think I am in the high-risk category for this disease, but why play Russian Roulette with people's lives?

Don't listen to me, listen to this guy (2:38 secs in):

VenomVeins

Established Member
If the MLB decides to close stadiums at least the Pittsburgh Pirates won’t notice any difference. Nobody wants to see a poorly run farm team for the rest of MLB.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
59C26482-23FC-45F3-A890-C24D74DA9EB7.jpeg

My94GT

Established Member

Flu has a known mortality rate of .1%. The flu killed 30K Americans this past season and is not nearly as easily spread as Covid-19, which has TEN TIMES the mortality rate of the flu. And we have a vaccine for the flu that's mildly effective. Think about that.

Sure, you and I might be relatively safe, since I don't think I am in the high-risk category for this disease, but why play Russian Roulette with people's lives?

hell in the past week as of last nights CDC posted numbers we are at a mortality rate of 3%. While the is tiny in totality vs the number of deaths from the flu, percentages show how serious CVOID is to be taken, like shown above. Also look at the spike in confirmed cases in just the past week, don’t expect it to slow down.

stvdman

Established Member
Have there been pediatric cases of this yet? Any pediatric deaths?

It really seems to be a bigger problem the older and more unhealthy you are. It works REALLY well at striking the elderly.

jrandy

Established Member

Well, and another point that most people don't think about. Say we live in a world where only people 50+ are the ones that might have to be hospitalized. 50 year old and up consists of over 100 million in the US alone. Now say only a fraction of them actually contract Covid.

Now, say you are a healthy individual and you have a medical emergency and need to go to the hospital. Where do you think you are going to fit? All the hospitals in the above scenario are going to be overwhelmed dealing with Covid.

We simply don't have the infrastructure to deal with something like this. It's going to strain the entire system and it will affect not just the people contracting Covid.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, and another point that most people don't think about. Say we live in a world where only people 50+ are the ones that might have to be hospitalized. 50 year old and up consists of over 100 million in the US alone. Now say only a fraction of them actually contract Covid.

Thankfully the precautions and warnings for the elderly seem to be talking about those much higher in age than 50 with everything else normal. Anyway, why aren't these old people sitting their arses home rather than being a busy-body going from place to place?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Post was made right as news broke and "Cancelled Season" were the words used. Way forward assuming this continues to spread? Not seeing it.
Not surprised. Fear is impacting how and what the media reports. It's the old "the glass is half full vs. the glass is half empty". One is more negative than the other, and more likely to stoke fear in the minds of people. People tend to respond more highly to negative news than positive news...generally.

Just saw this on Fox News - "German Chancellor Angela Merkel issued a stark warning Wednesday, citing expert estimates that up to 60 to 70 percent of the population could be infected by the coronavirus". So I ask, is it responsible for leaders to make a statement like that given that a low percentage of its residents have been found to actually have the corona virus? Talk about stoking fear and instilling fear in people! o_O

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Not surprised. Fear is impacting how and what the media reports. It's the old "the glass is half full vs. the glass is half empty". One is more negative than the other, and more likely to stoke fear in the minds of people. People tend to respond more highly to negative news than positive news...generally.

Just saw this on Fox News - "German Chancellor Angela Merkel issued a stark warning Wednesday, citing expert estimates that up to 60 to 70 percent of the population could be infected by the coronavirus". So I ask, is it responsible for leaders to make a statement like that given that a low percentage of its residents have been found to actually have the corona virus? Talk about stoking fear and instilling fear in people! o_O

Would you rather fear (and caution) be stoked, than complacency?

VenomVeins

Established Member
Oh, and here's someone who was making fun of the virus response:

View attachment 1627891
View attachment 1627892
View attachment 1627893

^ The above led to the Jazz game being canceled tonight, which led to the NBA postponing the season.

*Marv Alberts voice* He passes...He SCORES!!!

Patient Zero just no looked a lob pass to All-Star teammate Donovan Mitchell.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-mitchell-tests-positive-covid-19/5031273002/

Shits getting real.

Users who are viewing this thread