NBA “All Star” Game - zero pride on display

IA Shelby

Established Member
I didn’t watch the NBA All Star game but I read a few articles about it. Prior to the game, NBA legend Larry Bird rightfully criticized the current lack of effort being put forth by current NBA all stars at the All Star Game. He urged them to show up and compete.

So did they listen to Larry Legend?

Nope. ZERO defense played. Final score 211-186. The teams combined for 163 3 point shots. According to the article I read, most of the shots were uncontested.

I haven’t watched the NBA in decades. This is embarrassing on a professional level. What the hell ever happened to pride and competition. Feels like an example of how this country is going down the toilet.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Why would they risk injury in a meaningless game? Their bodies make them millions of dollars. The NBA needs to cancel it. I see no issue with them protecting their most valuable asset. This is on the NBA.

Haven’t watched the NBA since 2016. I hate it but I don’t blame the players for the All-Star game.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I dont even watch any NBA until playoffs and even then it's not much anymore.

I thought it was funny the commish talked up how it would be more competitive this year and then a team breaks 200. Saw a quote he said something about "about congrats to the east, thats a lot of points" and was clearly pissed off.

Hell, it was a few years back I recorded the Saturday night stuff and their 4+ hours of broadcast could be run through in about an hour and a half.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Why would they risk injury in a meaningless game? Their bodies make them millions of dollars. The NBA needs to cancel it. I see no issue with them protecting their most valuable asset. This is on the NBA.

Haven’t watched the NBA since 2016. I hate it but I don’t blame the players for the All-Star game.

this.

VegasMichael

Established Member
NBA has devolved into players just shooting three-pointers. You can blame a lack of defense on players now being hit with fouls for barely touching someone. Similar to the NFL in that respect in re the quarterback and hitting receivers.

As great a player as Larry Bird was he was also a legendary trash-talker. He constantly poked fun at other players and teams.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
NBA has devolved into players just shooting three-pointers. You can blame a lack of defense on players now being hit with fouls for barely touching someone. Similar to the NFL in that respect in re the quarterback and hitting receivers.

As great a player as Larry Bird was he was also a legendary trash-talker. He constantly poked fun at other players and teams.
A pasty white guy who routinely used the term "holmes" to his opponents!

He was a great player but not a flashy, look-at-me moron like I see when the news denigrates itself when covering such modern day crap.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
The problem here is just like everything else.

Why is it going to hell? Because these lazy bum NBA players don't care anymore. Why risk getting hurt? Why put forth effort? Why put on a good show?

They get paid so much damn money it's ridiculous. So, they have no reason to go out and perform because they have thousands of excuses on why they shouldn't or don't have to. Bunch of pathetic excuses for NBA players.

You know the old school guys wouldn't go out there and let themselves be embarrassed like that.

Look at Kobe. If you were on the other team you were going down. Period. I love this story about him when he was playing for team USA and his teammate, Pau Gasol, was playing for Spain. Didn't matter they were on the Lakers together, Kobe sent a message.

It's too bad the league doesn't have guys like this anymore. I love basketball, but these NBA players are making me dislike them (not the game) more and more every year.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The problem here is just like everything else.

Why is it going to hell? Because these lazy bum NBA players don't care anymore. Why risk getting hurt? Why put forth effort? Why put on a good show?

They get paid so much damn money it's ridiculous. So, they have no reason to go out and perform because they have thousands of excuses on why they shouldn't or don't have to. Bunch of pathetic excuses for NBA players.

You know the old school guys wouldn't go out there and let themselves be embarrassed like that.

Look at Kobe. If you were on the other team you were going down. Period. I love this story about him when he was playing for team USA and his teammate, Pau Gasol, was playing for Spain. Didn't matter they were on the Lakers together, Kobe sent a message.

It's too bad the league doesn't have guys like this anymore. I love basketball, but these NBA players are making me dislike them (not the game) more and more every year.

and let's be honest, the league has slowly chipped away at the ability to play defense without committing a foul. For the most part, scoring is good for business. theres a thread on a basketball forum about if you would re-elect the commish or not and my thought is as a fan of the game no - but anyone getting paid from the league doing well - absolutely

rborden

Established Member
All Star games for any sports league are pure trash. The only "pride" they display is the alphabet crew type of pride because that's all they care about.

Users who are viewing this thread