NASCAR: Too much Drama?

VictorySong

Established Member
I'd bet you prefer simpler "sports" that include roided out doofuses running after a ball?

:lol: NFL is the reason why I threw my TV out during college. I can't believe people even watch that garbage. Nothing but convicts running around the field after a ball. Made my roommate watch it somewhere else. He actually got better grades the year he was stuck with me too. Probably from not being able to play Xbox / watch NFL 24/7. He might have made dean's list if I could have gotten the Facebook away from him too.

Mxfrench

Established Member
When it stopped being race on Sunday sell on Monday, *which to me was the 90's*. I stopped watching. What rear wheel drive v8 powered Toyota, Ford Chevy can I buy?
They tried to be everything to everyone and lost their true fan base. I hope Dale JR starts a series of true STOCK cars, I hate Chevys with a passion but I would watch him. Bill France should stick to snorting coke and screwing whores that's all he knows.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
When it stopped being race on Sunday sell on Monday, *which to me was the 90's*. I stopped watching. What rear wheel drive v8 powered Toyota, Ford Chevy can I buy?
They tried to be everything to everyone and lost their true fan base. I hope Dale JR starts a series of true STOCK cars, I hate Chevys with a passion but I would watch him. Bill France should stick to snorting coke and screwing whores that's all he knows.

lol true stock cars?

You really wanna watch a bunch of slow ass stock cars run around the track at 120-130mph and not being able to be durable enough to bump/grind?

Sounds pretty gay. Not to mention, stupid for anyone dumb enough to build say a modified mustang (for example, like someone would mod a fusion for circle track racing) and make it capable of at least 160 in the straight without pretty much gutting everything about it that makes it "stock" so the driver survives an impact at even 120mph into a safer barrier. And guess what, now you have a super modified "stock" car again, oh look, with what you spent and end up with, might as well stick with a sprint cup car. You would need to have tech regulations looser than the loosest drag strip in existence to let someone race a "stock" car from the dealer floor on a circle track at those speeds.

Laughing at this mindset.

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
Made divas out of drivers and all about ego trips?

IMO it was more about drivers 20 years ago with Dale Jr and Petty than it is now.

Overpaid? These guys are still way way way underpaid compared to other sports.

Top dogs still make over 20 million. Jr makes over 20 mil just of his merchandise.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
My wife and I go to maybe 3 races a year. Nascar is better live than on TV IMO. Plus it's cheap and a great time. Carrying my own food and beverages into the track instead of paying 10 bucks for a beer like other sports is great. Having a scanner or at least an fm radio at the race is a must. Helps you keep up with the action. I think they're going in a good direction. The new cars are knocking down track records left and right. They're safer and more durable so bending a fender doesn't kill the car. Its all a matter of opinion, but im a fan. If you've never been to a race it's worth going once in your life. Same goes with NHRA, World of Outlaws etc.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Amen. World of Outlaws is ****ing insanity; 800hp go carts on dirt ftmfw.

My wife and I go to maybe 3 races a year. Nascar is better live than on TV IMO. Plus it's cheap and a great time. Carrying my own food and beverages into the track instead of paying 10 bucks for a beer like other sports is great. Having a scanner or at least an fm radio at the race is a must. Helps you keep up with the action. I think they're going in a good direction. The new cars are knocking down track records left and right. They're safer and more durable so bending a fender doesn't kill the car. Its all a matter of opinion, but im a fan. If you've never been to a race it's worth going once in your life. Same goes with NHRA, World of Outlaws etc.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I do think that NASCAR is way too worried about being Politically Correct. Snobs have always given NASCAR a hard time, but legions of people (myself included) fell in love with it because of the "outlaw" culture it was born from. I will not apologize for that. But NASCAR is shying away from that, chasing the big money; but they are abandoning the towns, the culture, and the fans that are loyal to the sport.

It's not what it was in the past, but I still go to a couple races a year and try to watch it every week. The culture is still there in the campgrounds. I'm still loyal to it, and hopefully when these big shiny new tracks in big cities keep struggling to fill seats they'll somewhat go back to the towns that made it what it was.

You make very good points, which I totally agree with. If I have the choice to attend a good, local race or a Nascar Sprint/Nationwide race, I'd go with the local race hands down. For the reasons you pointed out. It's true to the history of the sport. With no apologies needed. I remember I went to a Featherlight race in New York state a few years ago. Good old small town racing. Complete with a fight in the stands between some of the wives of the drivers. LOL! Good, old-time, small track racing FTW!

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
I agree with you guys. I like the direction it going now though. It's slowly getting better and better. The one thing I would change would be to take away some 2 race tracks, giving them 1 and add some different tracks like Iowa and good old Rockingham.

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
Good, they deserve it and they won to get that money.

Unlike other sports, where players are paid regardless of winning or losing based on how well they *should* perform.

Love how people talk about drama queens in Nascar yet I see far more in other sports.

So you don't think they get paid STUPID amounts of money just for finishing a race? Really?

I'll spend three or four hours turning left for a few hundred thousand ANYTIME.

And yes, that is what it amounts to. With stupid restrictor plates (in racing, how the hell can you say someone's car is too fast? Then get a better car!), what is the point? :shrug:

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
So you don't think they get paid STUPID amounts of money just for finishing a race? Really?

And yes, that is what it amounts to. With stupid restrictor plates (in racing, how the hell can you say someone's car is too fast? Then get a better car!), what is the point? :shrug:

You realize they only use plates 4 times a year out of 33 races? They are more for fan safety than anything really. You also realize how hard it is to be successful in nascar. Not anyone can just go out there and turn left like you put it like these cars are easy to drive. Look at most of the open wheel drivers that make the switch. Hell marcos ambrose won the v8 supercar championship in 2003 and 2004 and has 1 win in the sprint cup series since 2008. When someone isn't interested in nascar or has never watched it they always feed into the bs that nascar is a bunch of hillbillies driving in a circle. No hard feelings :D we will have to agree to disagree:beer:

Last edited:

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
The fail is strong with this one.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

I don't think a million dollars to win a race like the Daytona500 after you pay for all the crew and equipment is STUPID amounts of money.

Sick03Vert

Banned
You realize they only use plates 4 times a year out of 33 races? They are more for fan safety than anything really. You also realize how hard it is to be successful in nascar. Not anyone can just go out there and turn left like you put it like these cars are easy to drive. Look at most of the open wheel drivers that make the switch. Hell marcos ambrose won the v8 supercar championship in 2003 and 2004 and has 1 win in the sprint cup series since 2008. When someone isn't interested in nascar or has never watched it they always feed into the bs that nascar is a bunch of hillbillies driving in a circle. No hard feelings :D we will have to agree to disagree:beer:

I do realize that, but it's on the fastest tracks of the season.

And I have watched a LOT of NASCAR in my time. Was a huge Bill Elliott fan, Mark Martin, Davey Allison, etc. I'm just not with it anymore. The original question was is there too much drama, and I feel that there is.

No hard feelings of course! OP asked for opinions, which everybody has and aren't usually the same. :beer:

Sick03Vert

Banned
I don't think a million dollars to win a race like the Daytona500 after you pay for all the crew and equipment is STUPID amounts of money.

Aren't the team owners responsible for those bills? :shrug:

Maybe it's just me, but to earn one million dollars in my eyes, one has to do a lot more than drive a car well or toss a football. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread