NASCAR: Too much Drama?

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
What do you think about NASCAR these days? I hear some say there is just too much DRAMA stuff and not enough about the cars and engines being developed.

I sorta see their point, and I expect NASCAR is following the $$$ trail, so whatever it takes to get more TV coverage for the sponsors; fights in the pits, who is sleeping with who, let's get a girl driver, Brad has his foot in his mouth again, and whatever drama story they can find to maximize viewer interests.

Being a gearhead and living in the electronics age, I am more interested in what the crews are doing to go fast and not break. We don't seem to get the details on this stuff like we once did.

I used to go to the races, then watched on TV, now I DVR them and just look to see who won, maybe watch the crashes, and see if any car/engine news appears.

What do you think?

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I do think that NASCAR is way too worried about being Politically Correct. Snobs have always given NASCAR a hard time, but legions of people (myself included) fell in love with it because of the "outlaw" culture it was born from. I will not apologize for that. But NASCAR is shying away from that, chasing the big money; but they are abandoning the towns, the culture, and the fans that are loyal to the sport.

It's not what it was in the past, but I still go to a couple races a year and try to watch it every week. The culture is still there in the campgrounds. I'm still loyal to it, and hopefully when these big shiny new tracks in big cities keep struggling to fill seats they'll somewhat go back to the towns that made it what it was.

Sick03Vert

Banned
My problem with NASCAR is they have made complete divas out of all the drivers. It's all about ego trips and drama now. I used to watch it back in the day, but now...never.

IMO, the drivers are WAY overpaid and the races have gotten downright boring. As for the drama, yeah....it's turning into a daytime soap opera. Sad.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't watch too often either. And I agree, we don't hear about the cars and engines. All about the drivers and sponsors. Most people that I know attend go for the pre-race buffet and the beer. And if they happen to watch the race, it is almost accidental. Sad.

krman68

Established Member
I used to be a big fan both before and the years after Dale Sr passed. The sport has changed and not for the better. I think multiple factors have led to its drop in interest, many of which have been said by other posters -they tried going mainstrean and attract women, minorities, kids and space aliens (if they could) instead of being true to themselves and the sport. it has gotten too expensive, too regulated by NASCAR's nonsensical tech rules, too much driver drama driven by TV and I think FOX has contributed to alot of this. Michael Waltrip was always a lousy driver and got lucky being put in Childress cars for 2 Daytona wins. He was able to make a career at Fox because of his goof ball brother Darrell who is completely annoying, along with Kenny Wallace, Booty Barker and the cast of knuckleheads. I stopped watching because it was turning into a cartoon every weekend

Now I would much rather watch the Rolex and Continental Tire series races

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
My problem with NASCAR is they have made complete divas out of all the drivers. It's all about ego trips and drama now. I used to watch it back in the day, but now...never.

IMO, the drivers are WAY overpaid and the races have gotten downright boring. As for the drama, yeah....it's turning into a daytime soap opera. Sad.

Made divas out of drivers and all about ego trips?

IMO it was more about drivers 20 years ago with Dale Jr and Petty than it is now.

Overpaid? These guys are still way way way underpaid compared to other sports.

Blown 89

Established Member
If you want drama check out Formula One.

I stopped watching Nascar a long time ago. Drivers used to act like men, now they're nothing more than overpaid, spoiled, tantrum throwing bitches and I refuse to support any sport that promotes those types of people.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Blown 89,

I sure agree on F1! I was involved until 1995 when they started restricting technology development. Now they are clearly following NASCAR's example to maximize TV & Press coverage.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
What do you think about NASCAR these days? I hear some say there is just too much DRAMA stuff and not enough about the cars and engines being developed.

I sorta see their point, and I expect NASCAR is following the $$$ trail, so whatever it takes to get more TV coverage for the sponsors; fights in the pits, who is sleeping with who, let's get a girl driver, Brad has his foot in his mouth again, and whatever drama story they can find to maximize viewer interests.

Being a gearhead and living in the electronics age, I am more interested in what the crews are doing to go fast and not break. We don't seem to get the details on this stuff like we once did.

I used to go to the races, then watched on TV, now I DVR them and just look to see who won, maybe watch the crashes, and see if any car/engine news appears.

What do you think?

I agree to some extent. But they do have segments in regards to the technology in the cars pretty often in pre-race. I think they cater to the majority of the fans who just want to see cars going fast and crashing. Showing the drama of fights or whatever else appeals to that type of fan. As far as hearing about sponsors, that will never end because that's what makes the sport possible.

I do think that NASCAR is way too worried about being Politically Correct. Snobs have always given NASCAR a hard time, but legions of people (myself included) fell in love with it because of the "outlaw" culture it was born from. I will not apologize for that. But NASCAR is shying away from that, chasing the big money; but they are abandoning the towns, the culture, and the fans that are loyal to the sport.

It's not what it was in the past, but I still go to a couple races a year and try to watch it every week. The culture is still there in the campgrounds. I'm still loyal to it, and hopefully when these big shiny new tracks in big cities keep struggling to fill seats they'll somewhat go back to the towns that made it what it was.

New tracks and towns won't change the fans but it will bring more sponsor dollars. NASCAR, IMO is very prrogressive in trying to produce a better product year over year. The racing this year has been great and the have it boys mentality is a kin to NASCAR's roots. I do agree with most of what you said though in regards to being more PC and that the camping and pregaming is where it's at.

What drivers are divas? I mean the drivers are all highly competetive and want nothing more than to win; you don't think they're going to vent after things happen on the track and they have a camera in their face 10 minutes later? I don't know what you guys are talking about with the soap opera drama....you talk about back in the day and the drama was awesome. Rivalries are what makes great storylines in any sport. Back in the day they was plenty of that, including fights on and off the track. And to say the drivers are underpaid is hilarious, THEY bring in the sponsors and all the TV revenue based on their personalities and performance. (except Danica)

I don't watch too often either. And I agree, we don't hear about the cars and engines. All about the drivers and sponsors. Most people that I know attend go for the pre-race buffet and the beer. And if they happen to watch the race, it is almost accidental. Sad.

Really? I go to a couple races a year and don't know many people spending $100+ per ticket for a buffet and some beer with no interest in watching a race.

Nascar died with Dale Sr, that's when I stopped watching. Oh, and restrictor plates suck IMO.

That sucks for you because you're missing some the best drivers in the history of the sport. If Jimmy Johnson continues the way he has he will go down as the best driver in the history of the sport,

I used to be a big fan both before and the years after Dale Sr passed. The sport has changed and not for the better. I think multiple factors have led to its drop in interest, many of which have been said by other posters -they tried going mainstrean and attract women, minorities, kids and space aliens (if they could) instead of being true to themselves and the sport. it has gotten too expensive, too regulated by NASCAR's nonsensical tech rules, too much driver drama driven by TV and I think FOX has contributed to alot of this. Michael Waltrip was always a lousy driver and got lucky being put in Childress cars for 2 Daytona wins. He was able to make a career at Fox because of his goof ball brother Darrell who is completely annoying, along with Kenny Wallace, Booty Barker and the cast of knuckleheads. I stopped watching because it was turning into a cartoon every weekend

Now I would much rather watch the Rolex and Continental Tire series races

Changes for the worse after Sr.'s death? Making cars safer so people aren't killed is a bad thing? The COT was definitely not ideal but the new car puts on a good show and NASCAR let's these guys drive aggressively like in the od days. I don't understand why everyone is pissed NASCAR wants to attract new fans....that's how business works; maintain the base and grow your market share.

The core of the sport is still there, guys driving insanely fast cars very aggresively with exciting finishes week after week. It's very seldom that there is not an exciting competitve finish for the races this year.

Made divas out of drivers and all about ego trips?

IMO it was more about drivers 20 years ago with Dale Jr and Petty than it is now.

Overpaid? These guys are still way way way underpaid compared to other sports.

I don't know about underpaid....the drivers in the chase last year made anywhere from $5-20+ million last year.

:thumbsup: theres no fun in restrictor plates, its hold it wide open and hope you can pass, BORING

Blackness03

Established Member
I love watching the big track races like Daytona. Seems there's always an AWESOME finish. Only track I really go to is Charlotte and I'm mostly there for the party.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I don't know about underpaid....the drivers in the chase last year made anywhere from $5-20+ million last year.

Good, they deserve it and they won to get that money.

Unlike other sports, where players are paid regardless of winning or losing based on how well they *should* perform.

Love how people talk about drama queens in Nascar yet I see far more in other sports.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Like Skittles being flushed down a toilet.... how people watch NASCAR, I'll never know.

Blown 89

Established Member
Like Skittles being flushed down a toilet.... how people watch NASCAR, I'll never know.
I'm not a big fan but I can appreciate the massive amounts of strategy going on both on and off the track during a race. If you really were a car guy you would, at the very least, appreciate that.

Users who are viewing this thread