My new 01 cobra has no low end torque at all!!

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
sur_real1 said:
Uh, where do you get .85 there smart guy. 15 percent is .15, that is 15 out of 100, not 85 out of 100. 319 * 15% = 47.85 which is the hp loss through the drive train. 319 + 47.85 = 366.85. How you get 15% is 15/100 = .15. But I am glad you are laughing there smart ass:nonono:

A really good example here children is take my dyno numbers. 278rwhp stock. Stock from the factory our cars make 320 flywheel hp. 278 * 15% = 41.7 hp of loss. 278 + 41.7 = 319.7 which is pretty damn close to 320 flywheel.

So, before you spout off and laugh at someone, do some research.
holy crap. are you seriously trying to put off like you know what you are talking about! you just proved to everyone on here that dropping out of school is not cool!!!!! quick01snake's math is indeed correct, yours is ABSOLUTELY wrong. notice that he divided by .85(85%), not multiplied. you are solving for a hp loss from your rwhp, which already has a loss taken out of it. you cannot do this! you have to solve for the loss from your flywheel hp. quick01snake clearly showed this. his math basically says that your rwhp is 85% of your fwhp. so, by dividing your rwhp number by the percentage that it is of the original, you get fwhp. here are some ways to solve this:

rwhp = fwhp * .85 <-----good
if you do simple algebra and divide the 85% on both sides, you indeed get the equation that quick01snake used:
fwhp = rwhp/.85 <------good
rwhp = fwhp - (fwhp*.15) <------good
fwhp = rwhp + (rwhp*.15) <--------------NOT GOOD!!!!

seriously, before you go calling people smart asses, you might want to not make yourself look like a total dumbass in the process!

Last edited:

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
By that math, I should have only made 272 to the rear wheels bone stock... that isn't right. We are taking the number that is made at the rear wheels and tacking on the the 15% to show what is being made at the flywheel, not the other way around.

But, lets not argue about numbers, they don't mean anything without time slips.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
sur_real1 said:
By that math, I should have only made 272 to the rear wheels bone stock... that isn't right. We are taking the number that is made at the rear wheels and tacking on the the 15% to show what is being made at the flywheel, not the other way around.

dude, the 15% loss is an estimate. so it was off by 6 rwhp in you application, big woop.

and you still aren't getting it. that 15% cannot be calculated off of your rwhp. you have a loss of 15% from your fwhp to the rear wheels. so that means you take off 15% of your fwhp to get rwhp. you can also say that 85% of your fwhp is your rwhp. same thing....you can't take 15% of your rwhp and add it back to your rwhp to get fwhp. that doesn't even make sense.

do your math like you did before where it equals 319.7 fwhp. now take 15% of that and subtract it from it. you don't even get the same number you started with.....

and you're correct, the numbers don't mean much. however, the ability to solve a simple math equation will go a long way.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
sur_real1 said:
319 @ 15% drivetrain loss = 366.85 Flywheel HP, just shy of 400 :)
It's drivetrain loss so you take 15% from the Flywheel hp.

366.85 * .85 = 311.8
375.29 * .85 = 318.9 ding, ding, ding, we have a winner

and the big winner is...quick01snake

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
sur_real1 said:

wow, you just got crushed!

DC97Cobra

Established Member
99riocobra said:
holy crap. are you seriously trying to put off like you know what you are talking about! you just proved to everyone on here that dropping out of school is not cool!!!!! quick01snake's math is indeed correct, yours is ABSOLUTELY wrong. notice that he divided by .85(85%), not multiplied. you are solving for a hp loss from your rwhp, which already has a loss taken out of it. you cannot do this! you have to solve for the loss from your flywheel hp. quick01snake clearly showed this. his math basically says that your rwhp is 85% of your fwhp. so, by dividing your rwhp number by the percentage that it is of the original, you get fwhp. here are some ways to solve this:

rwhp = fwhp * .85 <-----good
if you do simple algebra and divide the 85% on both sides, you indeed get the equation that quick01snake used:
fwhp = rwhp/.85 <------good
rwhp = fwhp - (fwhp*.15) <------good
fwhp = rwhp + (rwhp*.15) <--------------NOT GOOD!!!!

seriously, before you go calling people smart asses, you might want to not make yourself look like a total dumbass in the process!

Thanks for the lesson! I feel a bit smarter.... Not much but just a lil bit. :D

King Cobra 2001

Smokin' Tires Year Round
Established Member
sur_real1 said:
Uh, where do you get .85 there smart guy. 15 percent is .15, that is 15 out of 100, not 85 out of 100. 319 * 15% = 47.85 which is the hp loss through the drive train. 319 + 47.85 = 366.85. How you get 15% is 15/100 = .15. But I am glad you are laughing there smart ass:nonono:

A really good example here children is take my dyno numbers. 278rwhp stock. Stock from the factory our cars make 320 flywheel hp. 278 * 15% = 41.7 hp of loss. 278 + 41.7 = 319.7 which is pretty damn close to 320 flywheel.

So, before you spout off and laugh at someone, do some research.

Thats some good mathin' right there.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Look I really don't want to turn this into a smack down thread. I see it from your point of view completely. I really don't want to argue, arguing over the internet is like trying to beat up an autistic child. While you may win, you are still stupid for trying.

Can't we just all get along :)

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
sur_real1 said:
Look I really don't want to turn this into a smack down thread. I see it from your point of view completely. I really don't want to argue, arguing over the internet is like trying to beat up an autistic child. While you may win, you are still stupid for trying.

Can't we just all get along :)
that's funny. there is absolutely no point of view here, nor an argument. there are just facts. quick01snake corrected your wrong math and you called called him a smartass because you insisted your idiotic math was the right way. you're the one who didn't want to get along. while i may have been harsh towards you as well, i also stated reasoning behind how you calculate an estimated rwhp from fwhp. you still insist that you're right.

in all i just wanted you to understand how the calculations are actuallly done. if you need more of an explanation on why it is the way it is let me know.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
What part of seeing it from your point of view do you not understand. It makes sense. You guys are right. I took offense to the math class attitude initially and lost rational thought in my anger. There ya go.

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
An Eaton with 14.5 psi with 3.55 gears will fix that low end torque problem right away. Ya, these Cobras stock without gears are absolutely gutless down low. My stock 89 IROC 350 could take off much quicker than my stock Cobra did. I would highly recommend against any gears above 3:73 for a DD, even 3:73 was a little much for me. The car actually came with 4:10s, but having to shift through 3 gears before crossing an intersection really sucked.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
sur_real1 said:
What part of seeing it from your point of view do you not understand. It makes sense. You guys are right. I took offense to the math class attitude initially and lost rational thought in my anger. There ya go.
good deal. i'm sorry for offending you. i was out of line. :beer:

2001SVTsnake

Established Member
quick01snake said:
LMAO...do we need to have a math class in here...come one this is middle school math...

319/.85=375.29
319*1.15 is not correct...

and i'm not arguing that the 319 rwhp will keep up w/ an 03 cobra w/ catback or similar...mine will pull on a bolt on (no pulley or tune) 03 cobra...and i'd guess my power at ~325-330 rwhp...

looking at your sig. you are no where near 330rwhp

i have o/r x, slp1's, u/d's, ported intake, k&n, tune, 3.5'' tips, diablo chip. and i am around 310rwhp

Users who are viewing this thread