My JLT vs. Airbox testing is complete, results inside.....

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Also, not that anybody has them, but I'd like to see V box comparisons on something where it is just running out 3rd gear or something on the street from a low RPM to redline.

That is exactly the test I performed on the JLT in my car with my Pbox.

I measured less than 1hp difference through 3rd gear on my car. :shrug:

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
That would be great. However, with all the tests that have been done I think it is apparent that claims of 15hp for a CAI are an exaggeration.

Could be true, but its all hear say and guesses due to variables. Once every variable is controlled like it could be in said facility, it could prove 10-15 hp gains or 0-5 hp gains.

Its all in the method of testing. I provided the idea of testing in such a controlled place like arrington in the very first debate thread about this and noone took it as a viable answer cause everyone just wanted to test it at the strip or on the road. Too many variables to take into account that way. Im not saying 100% sure that it gains the 15hp but it does account for a faster car or the ability to have a faster car in the majority of cases.

If this test were to be performed, solid numbers could be achieved and you could have perfect data to mathematically calculate your answers you are looking for.

I believe i read that SID is going to Arrington again soon. Maybe we can get him to do this controlled test while he is there, if they have the simulation software on the dyno?

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
The DA was off by an hour. So, the box had the best DA of the day. Here is how it breaks down:
JLT run #1 , 11.952 @ 118.79 was done with a temp of 84 degrees, barometric pressure of 30 inches and 53% humidity. That is a DA of 1851 and a corrected time of 11.7 flat @ 121.4
JLT best run, 11.925 @ 119.42 was done with a temp of 84.2 degrees, barometric pressure of 30 inches and 51% humidity. That is a DA of 1855 and a corrected time of 11.67 @ 122.
The best box run, 12.016 @ 117.84 was done with an overcast temp of 82.9 degrees, barometric pressure of 29.98 and 56% humidity. DA was 1811 and a corrected time of 11.769 @ 120.368.
The corrected time between the top dog JLT run and the top dog box run (where the JLT had a 1.7 60 foot and the box had 1.67) shows the JLT was .99 of a tenth quicker, and 1.632 mph faster.
The corrected time between the JLT run where the 60 foots were identical shows that the JLT was .69 tenths quicker and 1.032 mph faster.

Ok, fair enough, using your calculated DAs and looking at the last 1/8 (eliminate as much driver variation) that equates to a 7 – 10 hp difference. That is interesting; I sure would have expected to see more than a .5hp difference with my test if these numbers are accurate. Perhaps there is something to the tune. :shrug:

SicShelby09

Banned
Can we just put this to bed please? I guess think about it like this. People like me, purchased the K&N filter for my stock box knowing that its not good for any power. But for the reusability alone its worth it. Same can go for the JLT, accept it also looks way better too. So for your money, you are getting a great looking piece, with a reusable filter. Plus you will most likely get more power on top of it. You decide if thats all worth it for you. Once I get my best with my K&N/stock box, then I will board the JLT train and not look back. Forget the power increase, the looks are worth it to me. The more power is just a bonus. /thread

bubbrubb

That is exactly the test I performed on the JLT in my car with my Pbox.

I measured less than 1hp difference through 3rd gear on my car. :shrug:

Glad to see somebody do it.:beer:

That's less than I was expecting, but not by all that much. Seems like the real on-the-road gains are maybe 0-12 hp, depending on how fast the car is moving (read:how much air can get rammed into the stock airbox).

In gear acceleration is all that really matters for a power mod. Too much variability with shifting/launching/hooking/tire temp/conditions to get a truly standardized test.

If somebody were to design a "study" with bi-directional runs done, nearly back to back in the middle of the night with no wind or other changes that would be a good way to test the stock vs intake. Running the car out, full spectrum from 2000rpm up to 7200 or wherever you shift. If intake has better midrange pickup, then it will show. If intake has better top end pickup, it will show. Although, what I think will offset that is the way the stock airbox seems to perform identically at high speed.

Tucker

It doesn't matter what gear your in, the powers there, but only using 1 short gear to come to a conclusion somethings that makes 15 on the dyno only makes 1 in your test is a poor test.

Making more throughout the RPM range and using 5 full gears is what Mike did here and the proof is in the data.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Glad to see somebody do it.:beer:

That's less than I was expecting, but not by all that much. Seems like the real on-the-road gains are maybe 0-12 hp, depending on how fast the car is moving (read:how much air can get rammed into the stock airbox).

In gear acceleration is all that really matters for a power mod. Too much variability with shifting/launching/hooking/tire temp/conditions to get a truly standardized test.

If somebody were to design a "study" with bi-directional runs done, nearly back to back in the middle of the night with no wind or other changes that would be a good way to test the stock vs intake. Running the car out, full spectrum from 2000rpm up to 7200 or wherever you shift. If intake has better midrange pickup, then it will show. If intake has better top end pickup, it will show. Although, what I think will offset that is the way the stock airbox seems to perform identically at high speed.

Still too many variables outdoors to run the test. Back to Back runs will create heat= less power. No way to control wind. Averaging bi-directional test only get you that, an average, nothing set in stone.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
but only using 1 short gear to come to a conclusion somethings that makes 15 on the dyno only makes 1 in your test is a poor test.

Making more throughout the RPM range and using 5 full gears is what Mike did here and the proof is in the data.

You still don't understand how my test was performed but I agree with others, I'd rather just put this dead horse to bed.

Hopefully some people found all this testing and resulting data useful!

:beer:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
You still don't understand how my test was performed but I agree with others, I'd rather just put this dead horse to bed.

Hopefully some people found all this testing and resulting data useful!

:beer:

I did. I retired the airbox for good. Plus, the car just feels and sounds better with the JLT.

Mike

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
add the boss manifold and it screams up top even louder man

Boss manifold would be awesome.

However, that equals new gears, new clutch, new flywheel and new tires and wheels...quite an investment to take advantage of that intake, not to mention the potential for carnage when spinning the motor to 7800 rpm.

Mike

ViciousJay

Established Member
Boss manifold would be awesome.

However, that equals new gears, new clutch, new flywheel and new tires and wheels...quite an investment to take advantage of that intake, not to mention the potential for carnage when spinning the motor to 7800 rpm.

Mike

for drag racing, i see what your saying but how much carnage is there, no one really knows yet cuz it hasnt happened. The Clutch can hold it for some time as well as long as its not power shifted.

kdanner

Banned
What does the N/A Cobra Jet use? The stock box?

What does it run with the stock box?

Yes it does actually. The only one built is Robert Hindman's 2012 car, stock eliminator doesn't allow aftermarket air cleaners. The legal 2012 combination has the stock Mustang GT intake manifold, no Boss heads, etc. That car ran [email protected] in Milan last August.

I'm sure you were referring to the 2013 ones though which have the new engine with the different intake manifold, Boss heads, larger cams, etc. Those haven't been built yet. But again, they won't be able to run aftermarket parts in competition. So whatever they end up shipping from Ford with is what they will run.

wbt

Banned
Can we just put this to bed please? I guess think about it like this. People like me, purchased the K&N filter for my stock box knowing that its not good for any power. But for the reusability alone its worth it. Same can go for the JLT, accept it also looks way better too. So for your money, you are getting a great looking piece, with a reusable filter. Plus you will most likely get more power on top of it. You decide if thats all worth it for you. Once I get my best with my K&N/stock box, then I will board the JLT train and not look back. Forget the power increase, the looks are worth it to me. The more power is just a bonus. /thread

Both brand "J" CAI's I own will be for sale very soon. I have done all the work to clean the casting flaws up with each smoothing both sides of the tube.

For my car, I will stick with the Airaid. The MAF signal is clean which allows the car to perform as intended.

DIB5.0

Established Member
Both brand "J" CAI's I own will be for sale very soon. I have done all the work to clean the casting flaws up with each smoothing both sides of the tube.

For my car, I will stick with the Airaid. The MAF signal is clean which allows the car to perform as intended.

Now are you running with or without the insert?

Tucker

I'm sure you were referring to the 2013 ones though which have the new engine with the different intake manifold, Boss heads, larger cams, etc. Those haven't been built yet. But again, they won't be able to run aftermarket parts in competition. So whatever they end up shipping from Ford with is what they will run.

This doesn't look like the 2013 stock box:shrug:
2013-Cobra-Jet-Mustang-Naturally-aspirated-5.0-engine-1024x640.jpg

Looks like a huge 140mm MAF, open filter and no shield.

How does a little 5.0 need that much air?

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Mike, nice runs but you are leaving like .5 sec on the table with those shifts! lol Who knows how much MPH you are also leaving ;) Don't be scared, make that transmission your bitch!

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Mike, nice runs but you are leaving like .5 sec on the table with those shifts! lol Who knows how much MPH you are also leaving ;) Don't be scared, make that transmission your bitch!

That transmission has to take me to work every day and my kids to school in the morning. :)

This is my daily driver. Also, that transmission takes umbrage to being raped, and took such umbrage earlier that day to a super fast 1-2 shift. I have no confidence in that thing. I am going to try a shifter with a shorter throw to speed it up, but I am tired of blowing runs because that thing doesn't want to go into gear.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread