My JLT vs. Airbox testing is complete, results inside.....

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Well, I am content to say that on my car, the JLT intake works.

I did not have a stellar day with the ETs, but man did I lay down some mph. My previous best with this car was an 11.90 @ 116.5. I went 119.42 today, with an 11.92. DA was +1850 on that pass, so it corrects to an 11.6 @ 122.

Here you can see that I was able to hit an identical 1.679 60 foot time with the JLT on board, and the box. The slip tells the difference in plain numbers. The JLT was faster and it was quicker at every point in the run. Also included is my best JLT run of the day, which actually has a worse 60 foot of 1.7.

Since my last runs I swapped to Goodyear stiffwall 8.5 x 26 "Outlaw" slicks and I think they were a big part of this mph increase. They are much more like a radial, and I think they offered less rolling resistance than the super soft sidewall M&H Racemasters they replaced. They hooked a little better, but they were just FASTER. Other than that, I changed the oil since last time and I radiused both ends of the JLT for smoother airflow and a cleaner signal.

The JLT, for me, was the difference between running 12's and running 11's today. Argue all you want, the damn tube works and will stay on my car. I ran high 118s and 119s all day with the JLT.

BoxvJLT.jpg

I will load up some video later, have to go swap the wheels and wash the car.

Mike

mikestoyz

Established Member
I wont start a thread for mine because Im bone stock. But I ran a best ET of 12.8 on the street tires(of course) and trapped a 113 and some change too.

acrbill

Established Member
good stuff dude! how much did the smoothing help?

I have had two JLT plastic intakes and they both had a bit of a lip on the inside. judging by how deep into the intake the actual working part of the sensor is I doubt any turbulence caused by the lip would affect the signal.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Nice job mike. So what else did you change today? Did to change the spot of the air filter like some have said needed to be done to get the proper flow? Also did u get any data logs aswell? Again Congrats glad you had a solid day at the track.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I have had two JLT plastic intakes and they both had a bit of a lip on the inside. judging by how deep into the intake the actual working part of the sensor is I doubt any turbulence caused by the lip would affect the signal.

I rounded the edge. It is a 90 degree edge stock, I used a 1/8th roundover bit on my Dremel, plus a fine sanding disk and wet sanded it to a nice curve. It dramatically cleaned up the signal.

Nice job mike. So what else did you change today? Did to change the spot of the air filter like some have said needed to be done to get the proper flow? Also did u get any data logs aswell? Again Congrats glad you had a solid day at the track.

Yes, moved the filter to the end. Changed the oil yesterday. New slicks, used the neutral rev limiter as a two step and launched the piss out of it. I brought my computer to log but never hooked it up.

Thanks for all your hard work Mike.
You can't get any better than that!

Congrats.
Jay

Thanks, Jay.

I wont start a thread for mine because Im bone stock. But I ran a best ET of 12.8 on the street tires(of course) and trapped a 113 and some change too.

Which was damn impressive in the heat and on radials! Bone fookin' stock, too!

Congrats Mike! Definately driving it for all it has with that 60ft and 3.31's! Great job.

I just wish I could get that down to a 1.57!

you really have that car running hard! very impressive

Thank you.

Also, let us not forget to praise Shaun, whose awesome tune has this 3.31 car going 119.5 mph in the burning heat of South Louisiana.

Mike

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Were those 3 your only runs?

There were 3 hours between the JLT and the stock box you posted with identical 60' times. No runs in between?

How much did it warm up between 10 in the morning and 1:30 in the afternoon?

acrbill

Established Member
Thats great to hear that the cleaning up of the edges helped that much. I guess I will take a little time and clean mine up some.

acrbill

Established Member
Were those 3 your only runs?

There were 3 hours between the JLT and the stock box you posted with identical 60' times. No runs in between?

How much did it warm up between 10 in the morning and 1:30 in the afternoon?

according to the drag times DA calculator the DA was within 60-70' between the times on the slips.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
according to the drag times DA calculator the DA was within 60-70' between the times on the slips.

Not even close...

at 10 AM the DA was for the JLT run was:

77 F
30 in
74% humidity

DA = 1443 corrected time was --> 11.764 @ 120.727

at 1 PM the DA was for the stock box was:

84 F
29.98 in
55% humidity
DA = 1884 corrected time was --> 11.758 @ 120.489

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Not even close...

at 10 AM the DA was for the JLT run was:

77 F
30 in
74% humidity

DA = 1443 corrected time was --> 11.764 @ 120.727

at 1 PM the DA was for the stock box was:

84 F
29.98 in
55% humidity
DA = 1884 corrected time was --> 11.758 @ 120.489

Not really. The best JLT run was done at 11:17, the DA was 1743. The best box run was done at 1:17, the DA was 1884.

Like I posted over on Modular, when I am allowed to post my corrected times on the "Best Of" lists, that is when they matter. They are, otherwise, nothing more than a bench racing tool. It is almost always hot and nasty in South Louisiana. These are real conditions, not corrected conditions. I hauled balls with the JLT, and I could not match it with the box. I ran a pile of 119s and high 118s with the JLT, I could not get out of the 117s with the box.

The damn JLT works. It does exactly what it was supposed to do on paper, about a tenth and 1.5 mph. That is clear from the results.

I ran quite a few runs, I chose these for illustrative purposes, especially since I had a pair of passes with identical 60 foots and a pass with a worse 60 foot that was quicker and faster.

I am not going to argue the results all night, they speak for themselves.

Mike

mikestoyz

Established Member
He did several 11.9s at 119 throughout the day. The first one was missed shifts and figuring out tire pressure and launch RPM. Once that was together, he got consistent. Then swapped the stock box and ran exactly the same way, then back to the JLT and ran that good ol JLT time.

Not one time today did the stock box even hit it was better than the JLT. Id say it was at least a 10 hp difference and even appeared to be 20hp difference when you look at the best run to the best run.

Users who are viewing this thread