My JLT vs. Airbox testing is complete, results inside.....

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The 2013 CJ has 0 to do with a 4.6.
Cable throttle? LOL
Race specific parts? LOL

I saw this set up being tested nearly 2 years ago on a 5.0 "somewhere" by "someone". :coolman: It ran pretty good too, but it's far from "special" and still only 5.0 liters.

I wonder why they don't use the stock air box?:shrug: I heard it's awesome and has a special design to make power at the track over a open filter.:rollseyes

An it was also using a stand alone ecu an has no smog equipment..guess that changes things much different than a regular production 5.0.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I wonder why they don't use the stock air box?:shrug: I heard it's awesome and has a special design to make power at the track over a open filter.:rollseyes
yea, i wonder why the continental tire challenge series mandates factory intakes on the boss 302R cars...
http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/boss302R-itake.jpg
http://image.musclemustangfastfords..._05_o+2011_ford_boss_302r1_mustang+engine.jpg
...they must not want the cars to come up short on power by running an open element:lol1:

Tucker

An it was also using a stand alone ecu an has no smog equipment..guess that changes things much different than a regular production 5.0.

Really, it changes what?

Boss heads?
Boss "style" manifold?
Oval TB?

It's still a 5.0, so the arguement that math proves it doesn't need more air than the stock box is a fail.:nonono:
It's adding more air to a 5.0, but you say it can't use it.:uh oh:

Cable throttle body? Really? This comment is just funny. :lol:

Stand alone ECU and no smog equip? This means what? This means a Cold Air style Intake works now? :shrug:

Your guys have been arguing for weeks that the stock box was a "special" design from Ford, but Ford doesn't even use it. :shrug:

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Air Filter on the CJ looks like a steeda unit..Actually the entire kit looks like steeda

Last edited:

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
This doesn't look like the 2013 stock box:shrug:
2013-Cobra-Jet-Mustang-Naturally-aspirated-5.0-engine-1024x640.jpg

Looks like a huge 140mm MAF, open filter and no shield.

How does a little 5.0 need that much air?

Haha i love the fact they dont even run a shield... they must understand high and low pressure areas once the car is moving:beer:

JerryC

Established Member
Haha i love the fact they dont even run a shield... they must understand high and low pressure areas once the car is moving:beer:

Or maybe they believe that enclosing the filter and forcing it to draw air in through the factory inlet is a restriction.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Mike.....explain more on moving the filter at the end of the tube. What exactly are you referring to?

I moved the filter as far as I could to the end of the tube. Theory being, if the tube is inside the filter, there will be a wall for the air to flow over. This was suggested to me by Laloosh, I do believe.

I don't know if it did anything, but it is worth a try.

Mike

BPatterson

Established Member
Gotcha. Also, are you running the standard plastic tube, or the carbon fiber tube? Wondering if the carbon fiber MAF housing is as rough. I'm headed to the track tomorrow, and just wanna make sure I have all my bases covered.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Gotcha. Also, are you running the standard plastic tube, or the carbon fiber tube? Wondering if the carbon fiber MAF housing is as rough. I'm headed to the track tomorrow, and just wanna make sure I have all my bases covered.

Standard plastic tube. If you have a router or Dremel, take a 1/8 inch round-over bit and radius the edge of the JLT. It does clean up your MAF signal, which may or may not lead to extra power.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread