My FFR AC Cobra build thread

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Several years ago, the place I worked at was a Superformance Dealer and I got to assembly a lot of Cobras, (about 20 of them) 2 Daytona Coupes and a GT40.
Because we built a lot of these cars, I also saw Backdraft cars and a few Factory 5 cars. At that time, the Superformance and Backdraft cars were superior in every aspect.
By itself, away from any other kits, the Factory 5 Seems like a nice kit. Park it next to a Superformance or Backdraft car and you could tell it was trash.
For a budget build, they are fine.
Most of the Superformance cars I built were based on the 351 W with the vast majority being 427 cid engines from Roush. Both EFI and Carb.
I also built 6 Shelby CSX cars with an all Aluminum FE engine at 511 cid, with one of them being EFI. Those were bad to the bone and expensive as hell.
The typical Superformance rolling chassis was around $60K at that time. The most money spent on one was over $130K in 2010 or so.
Fun to drive, but dangerous if you did not know what you were doing behind the wheel.
I looked at some of the other brands out there and FFR appealed to me the most because I get to build it myself. The others are just out of my price range, quite honestly.

Could you specify what was trash on the FFR compared to the others? Was it components or build quality? If build quality, that could be attributed to the owners shortcomings, yes?

Your government is lying to you

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
One of the 511 cid all Aluminum FE's in a CSX

1693182613394.png

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I looked at some of the other brands out there and FFR appealed to me the most because I get to build it myself. The others are just out of my price range, quite honestly.

Could you specify what was trash on the FFR compared to the others? Was it components or build quality? If build quality, that could be attributed to the owners shortcomings, yes?

You have to see them side by side to really get the picture. Fit/finish, paint quality, interior materials.
Most F5 cars use 5.0 donor cars for the drivetrain. Most of those are stock and most "builders" are on a budget and the end product looks like a drivetrain from a 5.0 stuffed into a kit, which it is mostly.
Yes, the builder determines final quality,to an extent, but when you are using inferior parts, it ultimately shows up.
Someone puts $100K+ in Superformance car and it is always going to look, feel and drive better than a F5 car. It is a matter of economics.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
+1 to godzilla

Modern but still a big block
Problem is, who has the "kit" to put one in a Cobra kit car.
Engine mounts, trans bellhousing, exhaust system, FED, ect, ect. There is a lot of custom stuff that has to be made to make one fit/work.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, the Godzilla would be awesome, but it's not supported at this time. I'm sure I could still do it, but it would be a lot of customization.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Yeah, the Godzilla would be awesome, but it's not supported at this time. I'm sure I could still do it, but it would be a lot of customization.

Engine mounts, trans bellhousing, exhaust system, FED, ect, ect. There is a lot of custom stuff that has to be made to make one fit/work.
I hear you both, I'm just cheering along on the sideline for what I would want to see, not what's best for Wiz

Love this project, hope to do one someday myself

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member

I would love to know this as well. I was thinking about one of these several years ago. When I started digging in to what some were talking about they started to get pretty condescending (not saying anyone here has. I was like wtf - is it the body, hardware, shitty builders…? Never could get a definitive thought I don’t necessarily doubt what these people say. It seems like they all have shitloads of upgrades so it seems any of them could have a range of quality.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I would love to know this as well. I was thinking about one of these several years ago. When I started digging in to what some were talking about they started to get pretty condescending (not saying anyone here has. I was like wtf - is it the body, hardware, shitty builders…? Never could get a definitive thought I don’t necessarily doubt what these people say. It seems like they all have shitloads of upgrades so it seems any of them could have a range of quality.
Exactly. As 365 mentioned, these other makes are, it seems, double the price. If I can build an FFR car for $60-70k and a Superformance car costs $100k, $120k maybe $140k at todays prices, I think the FFR is probably the best bang for the buck. At least this is what my research has shown. Besides, it fits into my budget a lot easier than $120k or more, meaning it was a lot easier to get the bosses ok on this project.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Exactly. As 365 mentioned, these other makes are, it seems, double the price. If I can build an FFR car for $60-70k and a Superformance car costs $100k, $120k maybe $140k at todays prices, I think the FFR is probably the best bang for the buck. At least this is what my research has shown. Besides, it fits into my budget a lot easier than $120k or more, meaning it was a lot easier to get the bosses ok on this project.

If you end up painting it and doing the body work then that will save you a ton of money. What makes a shitty body kit and good body kit look great is whoever did the body work on it to make it match and fit to the car.

All of the aftermarket stuff takes tons of human input and craftsmanship to make it work so just keep that in mind.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You could always run a throttle body injection set up. It'll give you most of the benefits of fuel injection and still look like a carb under the air cleaner. That was my thought process back when I was looking at building a 427 stroker.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Superformance has been putting in Godzilla’s for a few years now

IA Shelby

Established Member
I would recommend a reaching out to Brent Lykins at Lykins Motorsport. He is considered to be among the best engine builders for cobra’s. As Cool Cobra suggested, a hi-po 289 is a magical set up for these cars. Less weight on the front end is never a bad thing for a car known to have snap oversteer issues.

railroad

Established Member
The early Factory 5 kits were offered to utilize Mustang donor parts from front to rear. The latest and best generation MK IV has moved far away from that option.
The latest improvements in the trunk lid make the kit near perfect.
Money makes the difference. Superformance is without doubt a fine ride. The MK IV can be built to the same quality. Just add talent and money.
There is great reward in building your own, although you will have your patience tried at times.
You made the right choice.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
That seems to be what I'm finding @railroad, FFR has refined their kit over the years. Now, the quality is far more dependant on the builder. I watched a build on YT. Guy built his for about $25-30k and you could tell. He used a V8 from an explorer and saved money everywhere he could, even sourcing some hardware and fasteners from his local hardware store. It can be done on the cheap, no doubt, but it will show. I think it's very much like racing. You can start with a 14 second car and get into 13's for $500. But you'll spend $1000 to get .5 second faster and then $2k to peel another few tenths etc etc. I could spend a lot more on this build, for diminishing returns.

When I get done, I want to stand back and look at it and think, that is exactly what I wanted.

mustangbrad

Established Member
I’ve talked with several Cobra replica owners over the years and the 2 things that I hear constantly are, they are usually hot in the passenger compartment and they almost always overbuild the engine,meaning they have more power than they need, and feel that takes away from the driving experience. Most wish they had AC and less power. No matter how it’s built I think it’s impossible to wipe the smile off your face while driving though! Can’t wait to see the build pics.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a decent amount of experience with these. Just a few things to add but JMO, i would go Backdraft. Especially if you are a guy over 5’10 or just a bigger guy in general. If you want something you can really toss into the corners I wouldn’t go with a 427.

I would also like to add, the best Cobra kit configuration i have ever drove is a Backdraft with a Roush 331.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member

I have to agree with 365 when comparing Superformance with F5 and most of the others. It seems like it simply boils down to the quality of the "kit" and it's difficult to notice the shortcomings of the others until they're side by side.

The AC Cobra has been one of my favorite cars for decades and I've seriously shopped builders on several occasions. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it'll be a Superformance when I do. Here's a few for sale in FL:

Users who are viewing this thread