My BBQ Tick Story - with a Happy Ending!

Established Member
Got a call back. Tech believes it's the canister purge valve, not the engine. It doesn't explain why this would only happen after an oil change but...we'll see.

If this is so common then the damage to the old engine had to have been circumstantial.

Last edited:

Established Member
Got the car back; I did not hear the noise as much when I drove it, it sounded a little chattery when I started it up, but I do not hear the ticking as much as before. They only drove it 12 miles, so even if they beat on it to go away, I'd expect I'll hear it in that case.

Like many of us, I wonder if they put anything in the oil. The XL-17 I recall was supposed to be a black liquid; the oil is as honey colored as new, and they claim all they did was the purge canister valve. We will see next time I change the oil or after I drive it some more. I also got a present:

6-5-15 scratch on roof from dealer.jpg

At first a porter tried to scratch remover it away, didn't work, so the service manager came and take a look, and as a testament to the honesty of the service adviser who handled the car, corroborated that that scratch occurred when the car was in their care. So I'll be taking it back Monday to bring to their body shop, hopefully it buffs out so I don't have to go through hell getting them to fix it.

Last edited:

Established Member
Thanks. It becomes hard to believe that a lot of coyotes don't display the ticking if three people can get it twice in different engines. I will admit there is a difference between this and the last engine. This is not nearly as bad. It doesn't happen at idle, but when you start moving and putting load on the engine while slipping the clutch, it's the same rapid fire, marbles in a can sound.

1FastFord

Established Member
Yeah mine isn't as bad either and why on earth does an oil change have to do with it? I noticed mine more after change as well and I prefilled filter as well.

RJ13GT

Established Member
Mine ticked after the first oil change. It went away after I did away with the stretchy belt and put the tensioner on after i noticed a knock to the engine because of that belt. Go figure why it started after the oil change but who knows. Maybe its unrelated to the belt but no random igniter tick since i did away with it.

RJ13GT

Established Member
Got the car back; I did not hear the noise as much when I drove it, it sounded a little chattery when I started it up, but I do not hear the ticking as much as before. They only drove it 12 miles, so even if they beat on it to go away, I'd expect I'll hear it in that case.

Like many of us, I wonder if they put anything in the oil. The XL-17 I recall was supposed to be a black liquid; the oil is as honey colored as new, and they claim all they did was the purge canister valve. We will see next time I change the oil or after I drive it some more. I also got a present:

View attachment 43644

At first a porter tried to scratch remover it away, didn't work, so the service manager came and take a look, and as a testament to the honesty of the service adviser who handled the car, corroborated that that scratch occurred when the car was in their care. So I'll be taking it back Monday to bring to their body shop, hopefully it buffs out so I don't have to go through hell getting them to fix it.

Thats not going to buff out properly. The paint is very thin on these cars. Im already contemplating a paint job on my car with 5900 miles on it. My hood is looking like crap already. I have become semi professional at paint chip repair in the last two years.

Last edited:

Established Member
Thats not going to buff out properly. The paint is very thin on these cars. Im already contemplating a paint job on my car with 5900 miles on it. My hood is looking like crap already. I have become semi professional at paint chip repair in the last two years.

Then I'm going to need to have them repaint the roof. That is pretty disgusting I must say.

I drove the car again. The tick is mostly gone, but it does make a tick or two after the clutch fully engages and the revs start to climb. So it ticks much less, but still there. I will ask them if they can do the stretchy belt tsb. They were going to do so until they decided the canister purge valve is the culprit. I brought the car back from the oil change at 59998 miles, so I may have difficulty getting them to do the tsb. The other thing is I thought the stretchy belt tsb applies only to cars made before 11/11.

RJ13GT

Established Member
It can be an issue on all years. You can tell if your stretchy belt is an issue by putting your hand on the top of the passenger side valve cover after the car is fully warmed up you will feel a knock. Its coming from two pulleys not being concentric with each other on the compressor and the crank pulley. It may not be related to the tick but was an issue for me. I found the knock while investigating the ticking sound and the tick went right away after doing the stretch belt tsb myself. It may be a coincidence but i have changed my oil 3 more times so far without any more ticking.

Last edited:

Established Member
It would be interesting to see if that would help. There is still a bit of a tick left after the canister purge valve replacement. It does surprise me that it has been reduced significantly, but I expect it to return. I can ask the dealership to perform the TSB under warranty since I brought the car in before the warranty expired, but if I have to pay for it, parts are 70 bucks and labor is 1 hour, so that is mighty convenient.. What did you do for the tsb in steps 10-12 related to integrated diagnostics system installation, reprogramming the PCM, and doing the misfire monitor neutral profile correction procedure?

RJ13GT

Established Member
Does your tick happen only after fully warmed up? Mine would not tick or knock until the engine was about full temperature. Eratic ignitor tick or maybe sounded like two marbles or ball bearings clanking together along with a knock I could feel with my palm on the passenger side valve cover. But they seemed like seperate issues.
I didn't do anything to the computer after the tensioner install. It's just something the dealer does for whatever reason. No negative effects.

Last edited:

1FastFord

Established Member
Mine ticked after fully warm. I have to look at paperwork because I thought they did that tsb already.

Established Member
Does your tick happen only after fully warmed up? Mine would not tick or knock until the engine was about full temperature. Eratic ignitor tick or maybe sounded like two marbles or ball bearings clanking together along with a knock I could feel with my palm on the passenger side valve cover. But they seemed like seperate issues.
I didn't do anything to the computer after the tensioner install. It's just something the dealer does for whatever reason. No negative effects.

Yea happens only when fully warmed up. So the knock you're going to feel like a stutter or miss on the passenger valve cover? Mine is still doing the noise, but really only after the clutch is fully engaged. My clutch does make noises and so does the transmission, but this is the ball in a can. For whatever reason, getting it back from the canister purge valve replacement, the noise is mostly gone. Not completely, though. And, in the sense that the car is not sounding completely like the old engine, maybe it's not the same?

Last edited:

1FastFord

Established Member
What is the canister purge valve? Is there a way to tell if the stretchy belt has been done?

Users who are viewing this thread