My BBQ Tick Story - with a Happy Ending!

Zemedici

Established Member
Just for reference *6006* is the base part number for a short block (no intake manifold, etc)

*6007* is the part number for a loaded long block. 9 times out of 10 Ford will use a short block.

avexhype

Established Member
Just heard from ford, they test drove it and verified the noise. They have contacted ford senior engineer and are waiting for next steps but they think the engine will need to be replaced again. Unbelievable that I now need 2 engines before 8000 miles

Holy.... Seriously man, I feel terrible. I really hope I don't run into the same problem. Are you seriously considering trading it in now? if so, for what? It seems like very few of the 2014's have this problem and I have yet to hear about it from the 2015's.

1FastFord

Established Member
I told them I want a long block at the very least or the option to add money and get the aluminator. I really would like for them to offer a trade on a 2015 because this car is a disaster. They told me they will have more info on next steps tomorrow. I am happy they at least heard the noise and didn't give me the run around.

Famine

Established Member
You would think it would eventually warrant a tsb at some point. I wonder how many cases there really are in total.

Established Member
1fast, I'm glad they replicated it for you. It's ridiculous lightning struck you twice but at least you are on the right track man.

Last edited:

1FastFord

Established Member
Yeah I can't believe it either. They acknowledged something because the 2015 engine is different. I don't think it's just because of a new model

avexhype

Established Member
Yeah I can't believe it either. They acknowledged something because the 2015 engine is different. I don't think it's just because of a new model

Yeah im sure Ford knows about. The 15 engines got so many revisions that i doubt they'd have any issues. You should just ask for the 15' motor to be put in instead and just pay the difference :p

1FastFord

Established Member
That is another option I am going to suggest. I honestly don't want a 11-14 motor because I don't want to have to go through this a third time. The first time I was without a car for almost 3 months and who knows how long this time

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
That is another option I am going to suggest. I honestly don't want a 11-14 motor because I don't want to have to go through this a third time. The first time I was without a car for almost 3 months and who knows how long this time

I was thinking the same thing but with the Aluminator.

They won't let you do either of these things. You can pay them all you want and they will give you the oem for your model year.

1FastFord

Established Member
We'll see. I am hoping since it's the second time in 6 months they may be a little more flexible

Established Member
No harm in asking, as least, but I have no idea how different the components are. Intake, injectors, ECU, charge motion controller, etc. Good luck. It does seem most people genuinely don't have this issue. I have never spoken to anyone in person who had it, and I ask every coyote 5.0 owner I see, but then again you never know if they drive with their windows closed and radio blasting, etc.

Last edited:

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
This is a cross-forum thread I started on this site which helped me finally get a solution to my CLICK HERE

I first bought my 2012 Mustang GT/CS in December of 2013 with 40k miles. It was a Ford Certified Pre-Owned car that had been traded in for something else at this Ford dealer. ...
Thank you for sharing, avexhype.

Sorry, don't want to lessen your enthusiasm. My failure was listed as the main bearings as well. I am thinking about trading it in as well. If you have time, try to get a long block. I think the problem is also in the heads area as well which is why I have it again.
Let me know if you want this escalated again, 1FastFord.

Deysha

Established Member
Maybe with an engineer involved we might get a cause? The service writer who worked with me last month told me they sent the old motor to Ford for teardown and analysis. I wouldn't doubt they do this with all the motors replaced for this problem. I agree with you, Fast, that it seems likely the changes to the 2015 motor were in response to problems with the old ones. After all, all that and a 15 horsepower gain? Seems like the gain could have been had safely with an improved tune, the new crank, rods, and pistons seem unnecessary unless...

1FastFord

Established Member
I agree, dealer is still waiting on answer from ford. They made those changes for more than just a little power increase

avexhype

Established Member
I completely agree. On a related note: I also thought it was treading on thin ice for Ford to have the 11:1 compression ratio with a 5.0 v8 that revs past 7k rpm and not demand premium fuel, REGARDLESS of how "safe" the stock tune is. You damn well best believe the non-enthusiasts will pump the cheapest piss-water mix 87 octane fuel they can find and run the car hard. Truth is, clearances on these motors seems to be so tight that just a few bad mix of scenarios and you got a hurt motor.

redline5.0

Established Member
I completely agree. On a related note: I also thought it was treading on thin ice for Ford to have the 11:1 compression ratio with a 5.0 v8 that revs past 7k rpm and not demand premium fuel, REGARDLESS of how "safe" the stock tune is. You damn well best believe the non-enthusiasts will pump the cheapest piss-water mix 87 octane fuel they can find and run the car hard. Truth is, clearances on these motors seems to be so tight that just a few bad mix of scenarios and you got a hurt motor.

Which is why there is a knock sensor so it can add/subract timing based on fuel and knock.

Users who are viewing this thread