My BBQ Tick Story - with a Happy Ending!

1FastFord

Established Member
Just heard from ford. This is going to get ugly. They want to take apart the motor and find what is wrong. They also are questioning my oil and filter and want a receipt. They said they are at mercy of ford and don't know why they want the receipts. If they deny because of this it will be the last ford I buy

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Just heard from ford. This is going to get ugly. They want to take apart the motor and find what is wrong. They also are questioning my oil filter and want a receipt. They said they are at mercy of ford and don't know why they want the receipts. If they deny because of this it will be the last ford I buy

WOW...I wish you the best of luck brother! I like how Ford is trying to play it off like...how could this happen???... like they don't know...LOL. This has been going on since 2011s have been rolling off the showroom floor. For anyone interested just Google Igniter Tick and XL-17. This XL-17 is an additive that was previously being used by service depts to eliminate/quieten the tick in cars that had the issue. The tick was cured with XL17 until the next oil change, of course the Xl-17 gets poured out with the old oil. The fact that Ford used something to quite the tick indicates they know whats going on. I really don't believe this tick issue has anything to do with accessory belts, water pumps, cam phasers etc. This tick is likely do with rod bearing clearances, these mod motors are on the tight side as it is. The erratic rattle|tick really does sound like light rod knock. I say this because no one seems to have this issue when the motor is cold. However as it heats up and the inner rod bearing expands in the race it becomes apparent, if its too tight the oil can't provide enough protection and gets a little noisy. I would really love to see the bearings out of one of these warrantied motors.

My advice to the guys with this issue. Use the oil weight and filter Ford calls for, keep receipts/document your oil changes. You hopefully won't need that support documentation for a warranty claim, but better safe than sorry.

1FastFord

Established Member
I think they are just trying to blow me off now, they know what the problem is and it's not the oil and filter

Established Member
The dealership took apart my engine too. I understand the worry given these are dealership techs not engine builders, but with 58400 miles I knew I'm not in position to set terms. If they wanted to take it apart I was prepared to let them. Don't get worried yet.

When I brought my car to the dealership that did the engine replacement in April they kept saying they'd need to see receipts. Then when I came to pick the car up after they said they fixed it by changing the oil, they said they'd need proof I brought it to my local dealership as soon as the problem happened. Back in July I brought it to the local dealership but they couldn't replicate the noise and told me to bring it back when it got louder. So I didn't leave it with them. As a result that appointment is not in my service records. The local dealership service manager maintains I don't have to prove that, because it's under warranty and they should fix it anyway. He offered if the 80 mile distant dealership didn't do anything it to bring it back to the local one and they'd take care of it. Either way it never came back up. I have all the receipts shy of gas (I only put 91 in the car), but they didn't ask again. Stand your ground and gather up receipts if you have them.

I always use 5w20 as well. I have used non-motorcraft filters, but the problem started with a motorcraft filter, so while it will help avoid problems with Ford, practically, I am not sure it helps the problem.

Last edited:

1FastFord

Established Member
I hear you. The part that bothers me is the dealer said ford said it's impossible that two engines have the same problem which makes me believe they are trying to get away with it and by the way you have an aftermarket oil filter, we need a receipt for that.

SVTStampede

Established Member
Wait, didn't you get your shortblock replaced 8k miles ago? You aren't even due for another oil change really. Why would they need receipts?

That makes no sense, unless it's been over a year.

1FastFord

Established Member
The short block was replaced in September. The car then sat over the winter and when I checked it it was black and like water so I changed it at end of March.

SVTStampede

Established Member
Then their request for receipt has no logic. The oil they put in wouldn't have been end of life yet, so the oil change is irrelevant. You're getting screwed, without a doubt.

Established Member
I hear you. The part that bothers me is the dealer said ford said it's impossible that two engines have the same problem which makes me believe they are trying to get away with it and by the way you have an aftermarket oil filter, we need a receipt for that.

Seems odd that two engines can't possibly have the same problem when we've seen dozens of them. You just got struck by lightning twice. Vis-a-vis receipts you think they are they trying to set a road block to dissuade you, or are they going to try to say, 'look here, your filter was sitting around for three years, it probably had contaminants or path blockage'? Also you'd think if this really had anything to do with parts not seating properly in break in they'd give a much more stringent break in regimen.

Last edited:

1FastFord

Established Member
I don't know what they are trying to pull other than trying to get away with it. I am having a hard time simply getting a loaner while they have my car for weeks

Established Member
Yea I went without a loaner, too. It was a pain in the ass, but I will use this as ammunition if I have the same problem later on. Unless Ford owns the company that rents you the loaner (or they lend you a car off the dealer lot--I've never had a loaner so I don't know) they don't make money off it, so saving them 21 days' worth of cost is something. I could have fought for a car. I do wonder whether the damage on my engine was incidental. Ie the tick exists on other people's engines without the sort of damage that they found to mine. I can certainly see they don't want to replace another motor. They want to make money, and by withholding a loaner on their dime, by dragging out time, and by trying to put the onus on you to prove you did nothing wrong, they're pressuring you to fold it seems. This doesn't mean they might not be in disbelief this problem could happen again, but even if a given employee doesn't know the root cause, there's no way that a company this big doesn't have statical control procedures that would have brought this problem to light and which they would fully have investigated. We will probably never know what really causes this, because it's not in Ford's best interest to admit design flaws, if they exist. I know that if the problem crops up later on I will go down swinging too, but you can guarantgoddamnty they know about the oil change tick.

Bearing clearances being out of spec and too tight by design, cylinder walls out of round, poor water jacket design with respect to strength of the cylinder wall, whatever is wrong they know what they built after 5 years of introspection.

Last edited:

1FastFord

Established Member
Couldn't agree more. The way they treat there loyal customers is beyond terrible. I have bought six mustangs and many people I know have bought fords. I can't believe I waited 10 years for kids to have grown to get this pos. If they don't make this right, never again. I know I am only a very small portion of business, but it's all I can do is to not support them.

Last edited:

1FastFord

Established Member
Latest update, dealer has finished diagnosis and confirms the engine is toast and has requested a long block. They have asked to skip short block since it didn't work the last time. They are awaiting approval from ford.

DrTriton

Established Member
Loose bearing clearances cause noise. Excessively tight bearing clearances generally manifest themselves quickly when things seize up - I doubt that was your issue given the mileage.

All the OEM's run tight clearances; GM's LS3 actually runs a slight interference fit for piston to bore clearance.

1FastFord

Established Member
Still waiting. Finally got a loaner at least. They are sending a field engineer to dealer on Tuesday and should know shortly after. Not sure if that is good or bad.

Users who are viewing this thread