My 2.9L Whipple Cobra is alive, sort of. Pics/Vid

Termilvr

Established Member
Well I feel dumb now...tonight I was getting ready to put the car on the trailer, when my dad asked if the holes for the emission bracket go all the way through the casing of the Whipple. After I got home with the car the other day, I pulled that bracket off and never put screws back in the empty holes. I figured they were shallow and never even thought about them possibly being drilled all the way through the casing.

The main reason I didn't think twice about it was because the car had just popped and stuttered a bit right before I got home when I tried to get on it a little bit. So when I sprayed the bottom of the blower with carb cleaner(after I removed the bracket), some would get into those holes with the missing screws and thus cause the engine to rev.

So tonight I put the screws back in and took it out and it ran perfect. I really don't think there is anything wrong with the car at this point. It ran great for over an hour of driving tonight and pulled hard/smooth every time. The AF ratio drops right to the mid-high 11's when I get into it.

My best guess as to why it stuttered the other day and fell on it's face was due it being 95 degrees outside and being heat soaked from driving the 2.5 hrs from Raleigh. So I'll give Fastlane a call in the morning and discuss why it might have done that when I got on it the other day, before I removed the bracket. Do our cars have a knock sensor or something that would pull a ton of timing to prevent the car from detonating? It's almost as if the car was pulling timing on it's own when it fell on its face. Sorry for the long read, it might be confusing, but basically I think the car is fine and runs great. I'm glad my old man was around and thought about when he saw me take that bracket off the other day. :rolling:

awesome! can you make a vid of the exhaust driving away and such, i will be doing a 2.9 this winter along with some arh 1 3/4x3in to go with my magnaflows and want to know how it will sound under normal driving and wot. what size are your headers? I don't believe our cars have knock sensors because of the blower noise, but i could be wrong. I wish i could do cams, sounds so nasty:rockon:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
and also what kind of power do the stage 3 cams make? Clean car !!!!
675 on that little amount of boost should answer your question:rockon:
a 2.9 with stock cams and that psi will be a good bit below that.. Matt those Stage 3's are worth more than 20 for you, and the 99-01 Cobra's have knock sensors the 03/04's Don't!

Last edited:

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
awesome! can you make a vid of the exhaust driving away and such, i will be doing a 2.9 this winter along with some arh 1 3/4x3in to go with my magnaflows and want to know how it will sound under normal driving and wot. what size are your headers? I don't believe our cars have knock sensors because of the blower noise, but i could be wrong. I wish i could do cams, sounds so nasty:rockon:

Yep I'll make a video in the next few days for sure. Basically the car sounds insane. I'm running the Kooks headers 1 3/4" x 3" into the Kooks o/r X-pipe that goes from 3" at the collectors to 2.5" into the Magnaflow cat-back. It's fairly quiet at idle and under easy driving, not obnoxious at all. When I give it hell it gets loud, but it's a good loud and sounds great. Definitely gets loud under WOT though.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Glad you found the leak. I read somewhere else where someone did the same thing and another member pointed it out on a picture. Glad it was dumb and cheap rather than legit and expensive!

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Yep I'll make a video in the next few days for sure. Basically the car sounds insane. I'm running the Kooks headers 1 3/4" x 3" into the Kooks o/r X-pipe that goes from 3" at the collectors to 2.5" into the Magnaflow cat-back. It's fairly quiet at idle and under easy driving, not obnoxious at all. When I give it hell it gets loud, but it's a good loud and sounds great. Definitely gets loud under WOT though.

Same exhaust as mine. It's very calm at idle but rips at WOT!

Glad you found the issue. Would have told you had I known you removed that bracket.

I think cams will be in my future!

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
Matt,

Congrats on the numbers man! Your car is a beast!

Rest assured we will get to the bottom of the issue and have you back up and running. We really enjoyed working with you and helping you build your 2.9L Monster!

Thanks Taylor,

The car is running awesome again, I'm just a 'tard haha. I think the car should be fine. I'll give you a shout in the morning!

The Pony

Established Member
Thanks Taylor,

The car is running awesome again, I'm just a 'tard haha. I think the car should be fine. I'll give you a shout in the morning!

Don't feel like a 'tard man. We hope you enjoy the power!

:burnout::burnout::burnout:

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Well I feel dumb now...tonight I was getting ready to put the car on the trailer, when my dad asked if the holes for the emission bracket go all the way through the casing of the Whipple. After I got home with the car the other day, I pulled that bracket off and never put screws back in the empty holes. I figured they were shallow and never even thought about them possibly being drilled all the way through the casing.

So tonight I put the screws back in and took it out and it ran perfect. I really don't think there is anything wrong with the car at this point. It ran great for over an hour of driving tonight and pulled hard/smooth every time. The AF ratio drops right to the mid-high 11's when I get into it.

Well at least you found out your mistake. Glad it was something simple.
Now enjoy that new power! Car sounds good and has plenty of power to back it up! :burnout:

Ryan

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
The same thing happened to me. I removed the egr system and never reinstalled the bracket on my whipple. I thought I crushed my lower intake gaskets reinstalling everything... I thought I was the only dumbass that happened too.. Lol !!!

nooner

Established Member
Matt S, what is the part number of the cams you installed? Did you install the 106460 Comp cams? I have ordered the 106360 cams, but if, as you say, there are no drivability issues, then maybe I should go with what you have installed. What RPMs are you idling at? Have you driven it much in stop and go traffic? Is there really no drivability issue with that idle? You said "getting the car moving can be a little tricky with that Spec 3+" and I know that clutch is pretty grabby so you probably have to rev it a little higher to get it moving. I'm wondering, with a less grabby clutch (like a Mcleod twin disc), maybe you would still have to rev it a little more to get moving because of the rough idle instead of the grabby clutch? Could the "stuttering the other day" be a drivability issue with the cams? Did you do any other head work?

I really love the sound of your car and I am just waiting on 106360 cams for my car (both 106360 and 106460 are on backorder) so I'm really torn on which to go with. Comp Cams and my mechanic all are recommending the 360 cams but don't really say why NOT to go with the 460s except they don't think I would ever use the power in the RPM range they are designed for. I won't be racing it so I agree for the most part. It's not the "power" I'm looking for. With the 2.9 I'm sure I'll have more than enough power than I need. I want that sound :bowdown:, but don't want any drivability issues :kaboom:.

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
They are the 106460 cams and they have been really good driving around town here. If I turn the A/C on and it's idling it makes the rpms drop a bit, but it stays running. Once I rev it and work the clutch out it's no problem to get moving. I think that's all still a function of me getting used to the clutch still. I think you would like these cams and wouldn't regret your decision. :beer:

nooner

Established Member
They are the 106460 cams and they have been really good driving around town here. If I turn the A/C on and it's idling it makes the rpms drop a bit, but it stays running. Once I rev it and work the clutch out it's no problem to get moving. I think that's all still a function of me getting used to the clutch still. I think you would like these cams and wouldn't regret your decision. :beer:

So what RPMs is it idling at with and without A/C?

1320 Junkie

Established Member
675 on that little amount of boost should answer your question:rockon:
a 2.9 with stock cams and that psi will be a good bit below that.. Matt those Stage 3's are worth more than 20 for you, and the 99-01 Cobra's have knock sensors the 03/04's Don't!

dont be too sure about that....I made 666/574 with the same exact combo and mods minus cams....i also see 18psi in the summer heat now.

Car sounds sick bud....i think i need some cams now...lol. 2.9 whipples are pretty much the SHIT ! Wait til u push the boost up to the 20+ psi range.....hang the F on buddy....u will be in for a treat !

Last edited:

gawnin60

Established Member
Matt....Massage the pistons at all ?

Matt do you know if they had to give the pistons any relief with the cams you put in? If you do not mind me asking what is the part number on the cams? I just had my builder install the stage 3 and have been wondering about PVC with these. Cars sounds awsome and i can only hope mine sounds just as good. I just ordered a set of American Racing longtubes yesterday and will be running a true 3" all the way back with a set of Spintech muffs that will dump under the car so it should have a little different tone than most. Great numbers by the way...that is exactly what i am shooting for.

Joe

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
Matt do you know if they had to give the pistons any relief with the cams you put in? If you do not mind me asking what is the part number on the cams? I just had my builder install the stage 3 and have been wondering about PVC with these. Cars sounds awsome and i can only hope mine sounds just as good. I just ordered a set of American Racing longtubes yesterday and will be running a true 3" all the way back with a set of Spintech muffs that will dump under the car so it should have a little different tone than most. Great numbers by the way...that is exactly what i am shooting for.

Joe

No valve reliefs were needed with these cams. The part number for them is 106460. XE274BH-116 Grind number. I think your set-up will sound great as well with those Spintech mufflers, I've always liked the way those sound. :rockon:

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
dont be too sure about that....I made 666/574 with the same exact combo and mods minus cams....i also see 18psi in the summer heat now.

Car sounds sick bud....i think i need some cams now...lol. 2.9 whipples are pretty much the SHIT ! Wait til u push the boost up to the 20+ psi range.....hang the F on buddy....u will be in for a treat !

Ya it's kinda hard to say if they are or not, but I'd like to think they are contributing some, because they weren't cheap haha! Those are great numbers for your car as well, even without cams!

2.9 Whipples are certainly proving themselves, I think everybody at the shop was a little surprised at how much power it put down with 18 psi and pump gas. I'm starting to think meth injection would be good for the summer heat around here....

Users who are viewing this thread