My 2.9L Whipple Cobra is alive, sort of. Pics/Vid

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
Just got the car back from Fastlane Motorsports in Raleigh today. When I dropped it off it was a pulley, intake, exhaust (no longtubes), now it's got the 2.9L Whipple, Comp Stage 3 cams, Spec 3+ clutch w. 26 spline input shaft and Kooks headers with the o/r x-pipe. After driving it for the first time, the difference is incredible. It made 675 rwhp with the stock 3.5" pulley ~18lbs on 93 Octane.

Here are a few pics of the engine bay. The powder coaters we used for the valve covers didn't do a very good job and I'm really not thrilled about the way they turned out. I wanted a black crinkle coat that matched the Whipple.

Right before I got home, I started having some issues with the idle and it wouldn't pull like it did this morning before we started the 2.5 hr trek back to Morehead City. It started popping and acting really weird like it had a vacuum leak. I immedialtely started spraying around the blower with carb cleaner and sure enough the engine revved. Bad thing is that it rev's when I spray where the blower meets the intake plenum. So my guess is that the seal is no good anymore. I've heard others have had issues with new superchargers sealing??? I know Fastlane will fix it and they are great to work with, the only downside is that their shop is 2.5 hrs from my house. Can anybody shed some light on what might have occured? The bolts that hold the supercharger down are all tight, with the exception of one that took about a half a turn.

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

http://youtu.be/94j99LPIS5s

Last edited:

perry2k12

Established Member
That idle sounds absolutely wicked. Sucks about the vaccuum leak though... doesn't sound like a serious problem anyway.

gabe1530

Banned
675 on 18lb! nice. how much torque?
im sure fastlane will take care of you.

edit:
idle sounds insane. damn i want cams!!!

Last edited:

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
NICE! I hope they fix it for you.. im worried about when my car gets back been there too long also over a year and i dont want it to break when i first get it back from the shop either :X

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
What side does it rev higher: right, left, rear front? All of the vacuum bs is on the back side. I had a vacuum 90 elbow blow off with a simple rev of the engine in my drive way. It was a barbed fitting at the base of the blower in the back. Sounded like internal engine problem when it happened. Had issues with running and starting. Kept engine, lifted hood, leak was heard easy.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Hey bud would mind posting all of ur fuel mods. That's my dream set up one day.

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Matt,
Sorry to hear you have an issue. As stated, check visually and see if there is any vacuum leaks.
If you cannot figure it out, give us a call and we'll take care of it for you.
It was good to meet you today and that car does sound wicked.

Ryan

nooner

Established Member
Hey bud would mind posting all of ur fuel mods. That's my dream set up one day.

Great numbers and sounds sweet, too! I would also like to know your fuel mods. Also, what throttle body did you use? I'm building almost the exact same setup except I'm going with stage 2 Comp cams and Mcleod 26 spline clutch. Looks like you have the JLT RAI (as do I) but I'm using a bigger MAF. Cams are on back order so as soon as I get those, my build begins. I'm hoping I'll get numbers as good as yours.

gabe1530

Banned
im going to take a guess on the fuel system. dual ford gt pumps, bap, 60's or 80's, duel or modified fpdm.
also got the egr delete. nice!

Users who are viewing this thread