My 2.9L Whipple Cobra is alive, sort of. Pics/Vid

03cobrah

Established Member
hey op, i would be weary of fastlane, i have two buddies that went there before, both had bad experiences.

one had cams installed along with a tune and since then found out from another tuner around the area (waynes dyno in jacksonville) that the tune he gave him is garbage...

my other buddy had a motor swap and found out a few days later that some bolts were loose. i would recheck their work, from what i hear they tend to work a little too fast and will miss some things.

i'm assuming your stationed on cherry point, i drive a 03 dsg with anniversary rims i think i've seen your car around.

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
Matt,
Sorry to hear you have an issue. As stated, check visually and see if there is any vacuum leaks.
If you cannot figure it out, give us a call and we'll take care of it for you.
It was good to meet you today and that car does sound wicked.

Ryan

Good meeting you too Ryan. Thanks for the help yesterday!

Fuel mods are : 80lb injectors and GT pumps. They were going to add the BAP if it ran out of fuel but it never did.

I've sprayed all around the blower and the idle goes up no matter where I spray. Strangest thing is that it ran great initially but after 2.5 hrs it developed the leak.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone! I can't wait to get it back up and running!

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
Great numbers and sounds sweet, too! I would also like to know your fuel mods. Also, what throttle body did you use? I'm building almost the exact same setup except I'm going with stage 2 Comp cams and Mcleod 26 spline clutch. Looks like you have the JLT RAI (as do I) but I'm using a bigger MAF. Cams are on back order so as soon as I get those, my build begins. I'm hoping I'll get numbers as good as yours.

The throttle body is an Accufab, I wanted to get a Billetflow, but they stopped making them. Good luck with your build, I think you'll be very happy with the 2.9L it makes great power. :beer:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
2.9 FTW! I need toget my corn burner on the dyno.

How do you like the cams? It's about the only thing I have left to touch on my car.

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
and also what kind of power do the stage 3 cams make? Clean car !!!!

Drive-ability with the cams is good, I had no issues. I bet the cams are responsible for at least 20 rwhp, but I have no way of really knowing.
Best part of the cams is when I pulled into a busy gas-station and like 5 people approached me to talk about the car, haha! It draws a crowd now more than ever.

Getting the car moving can be a little tricky with that Spec 3+ in there. I just need to get used to it still.

Also, I spoke with Fastlane this morning and I will be bringing it back to them tomorrow. They've installed multiple 2.9 Whipples now and never had this issue so they want to see the car and get it fixed.

The Pony

Established Member
Matt,

Congrats on the numbers man! Your car is a beast!

Rest assured we will get to the bottom of the issue and have you back up and running. We really enjoyed working with you and helping you build your 2.9L Monster!

evil 03

THE 700 CLUB
Established Member
looks good man, everytime i start my car up and hear my cams i always get a hard on, you should come down to fay sometime

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
Well I feel dumb now...tonight I was getting ready to put the car on the trailer, when my dad asked if the holes for the emission bracket go all the way through the casing of the Whipple. After I got home with the car the other day, I pulled that bracket off and never put screws back in the empty holes. I figured they were shallow and never even thought about them possibly being drilled all the way through the casing.

The main reason I didn't think twice about it was because the car had just popped and stuttered a bit right before I got home when I tried to get on it a little bit. So when I sprayed the bottom of the blower with carb cleaner(after I removed the bracket), some would get into those holes with the missing screws and thus cause the engine to rev.

So tonight I put the screws back in and took it out and it ran perfect. I really don't think there is anything wrong with the car at this point. It ran great for over an hour of driving tonight and pulled hard/smooth every time. The AF ratio drops right to the mid-high 11's when I get into it.

My best guess as to why it stuttered the other day and fell on it's face was due it being 95 degrees outside and being heat soaked from driving the 2.5 hrs from Raleigh. So I'll give Fastlane a call in the morning and discuss why it might have done that when I got on it the other day, before I removed the bracket. Do our cars have a knock sensor or something that would pull a ton of timing to prevent the car from detonating? It's almost as if the car was pulling timing on it's own when it fell on its face. Sorry for the long read, it might be confusing, but basically I think the car is fine and runs great. I'm glad my old man was around and thought about when he saw me take that bracket off the other day. :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread