My 2.9 Whipple destroys another lower pulley

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Just get rid of that crap and put on a innovators west crank pulley and a Metco lower. BOOM done

Metco setup is already installed. Just waiting on the 4 lb ring to arrive. Still pondering the Innovators West part.

Looks nice. I see your Metco bracket has holes in it, mine's solid. I must have an earlier design.

malcolm, how much compression are you running in your new motor?

Would have been 10.7 but I had the rings moved down to increase ring land thickness. I'm around 10.5

Quick Strike

Established Member
a5b988f5b779285983433fa320df8be8.jpg

Above is what I referred to in the earlier post about the 3 bolts holding the Metco adapter to the OE dampner. I do not think it provides more strength then your cage setup, but less. The IW adapter can use 6 bolts at the center and 18 at the outer edge to fix it to the IW dampner. That is why it is a serious piece you should consider.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Above is what I referred to in the earlier post about the 3 bolts holding the Metco adapter to the OE dampner. I do not think it provides more strength then your cage setup, but less. The IW adapter can use 6 bolts at the center and 18 at the outer edge to fix it to the IW dampner. That is why it is a serious piece you should consider.

I have to disagree. I don't think I've seen a single broken Metco adapter... not ever. But then again someone may step in here and post a link for me lol. My thoughts are the three bolts that hold on that flange are stronger than the center shaft thread on the stock setup.
With that said it looks like I'm getting an Innovators West so we'll probably never find out lol. At least not on my car.

theparker

Established Member
I have to disagree. I don't think I've seen a single broken Metco adapter... not ever. But then again someone may step in here and post a link for me lol. My thoughts are the three bolts that hold on that flange are stronger than the center shaft thread on the stock setup.
With that said it looks like I'm getting an Innovators West so we'll probably never find out lol. At least not on my car.

IW FTW BOOM

Quick Strike

Established Member
I have to disagree. I don't think I've seen a single broken Metco adapter... not ever. But then again someone may step in here and post a link for me lol. My thoughts are the three bolts that hold on that flange are stronger than the center shaft thread on the stock.

My Metco adapter worked loose and wobbled with the ported Eaton and 4# lower. I had followed the instruction procedure to the letter. I never trusted it again. It posed for a picture this am, but It stays in the used parts pile with the caged lower now!

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Oh wow, that sucks. I know the instructions say blue locktite. Maybe a dab of red is in order.

cj428mach

Established Member
When doing research on the caged 4lb lower I thought the original maker WS6JJP said his buddys metco either worked loose or broke off the hub and went flying across the road.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
When doing research on the caged 4lb lower I thought the original maker WS6JJP said his buddys metco either worked loose or broke off the hub and went flying across the road.

Be interesting to know which one, worked loose or broke? One's easily correctable the other not so much depending what broke.

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Been running a metco 2 lb lower setup with my 2.9 whipple on E85 without any problems. Using the stock damper and put red loctite on the lower pulley bolts.

pickup_man06

fast is never fast enough
Established Member
man, i had the exact same thing happen last year, only i never found the tri bar piece. i had to cut off the allen head, relieve a bit of pressure, then use a pipe wrench and a cheater bar and lock the crank to finally get it off. i love the 4.0 power but ****.
now im trying to get one off to do some internal work, but its on way too tight. tigging the center is not the answer either. need something new.
i wish i could go to the metco unit like you did but id likely put a wobble in my crank snout or worse, break it off. yikes. may have to pull my crank back out and stud it to the main :/

pickup_man06

fast is never fast enough
Established Member
Wow yeah, I'd be worried with the 4.0, that's a monster to be spinning.

yea, too much to worry about, so the caged lower will have to work. the 4.0 is too much fun to get rid of, and its one hell of a conversation piece. good luck with your new setup!

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Columbia MO is not to far from KC, maybe we can meet up some day and compare rides. Would love to see that 4.0 setup.

stangfreak

Established Member
man, i had the exact same thing happen last year, only i never found the tri bar piece. i had to cut off the allen head, relieve a bit of pressure, then use a pipe wrench and a cheater bar and lock the crank to finally get it off. i love the 4.0 power but ****.
now im trying to get one off to do some internal work, but its on way too tight. tigging the center is not the answer either. need something new.
i wish i could go to the metco unit like you did but id likely put a wobble in my crank snout or worse, break it off. yikes. may have to pull my crank back out and stud it to the main :/

How much power are you making with the 4.0 whipple and are you iat2 temps really really high? I know guys have been going through hell to keep that blower cool. some removed it and went with a different setup

xtreme_exploder

Established Member
Man you guys are lucky it broke the lower before destroying the engine. Or maybe I'm just unlucky lol. Mine threaded itself on past where it's supposed to go on the tribar, by mushrooming out the threads and pulling itself against the pulley, until it pulled hard enough on the crank to melt the thrust bearing and lock the motor up.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Man you guys are lucky it broke the lower before destroying the engine. Or maybe I'm just unlucky lol. Mine threaded itself on past where it's supposed to go on the tribar, by mushrooming out the threads and pulling itself against the pulley, until it pulled hard enough on the crank to melt the thrust bearing and lock the motor up.
You win the prize for bringing up the oldest thread I've seen in a while

Users who are viewing this thread