My 2.9 Whipple destroys another lower pulley

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Can't say what it is for sure but wow broke this lower in less than 1k miles. A new record for me. The new motor with high compression is so snappy and responsive. The RPMs wrap up so fast and quick when you blip the throttle it makes a stock terminator motor seem very lazy and lethargic. Perhaps that extra snap accelerated this problem.

The other big change is I put the lower together with a stiffer than stock bushing material because the 2.9 would normally crush the stock rubbers flat and have some wobble and slop in the lower. Maybe that contributed.

Snapped the tri-bar right off the shaft. Engine was still running but nothing was spinning. With engine off you can see what I mean here

[video=youtube;fQHjfeG7BcU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQHjfeG7BcU[/video]

The tri bar on the left of this pic is the one I just snapped. Notice it ripped the threaded part right off. (the one on the right btw has stripped out threads from a prior incident lol)

IMG_7214.JPG

So the shaft is stuck in there because of the snapped off threaded piece.

IMG_7217.JPG

IMG_7215.JPG

That center shaft was so seized into the damper I was really stuck for a while. Dropping the car's weight on it while in 6th and parking brake on did nothing. Jacked up the breaker bar, nailed with a hammer etc. Grabbed a 6 foot cheater bar. Couldn't budge it. I've never seen anything like it. That's by far the worse I've ever jacked one of these up.

IMG_7213.JPG

Eventually got it off with the help of my buddy. We wedged a crow bar behind the pulley and pulled it away from the damper. Couldn't remove it because it's stuck on the shaft because of the snapped off threads on end. We got a torch in there and got some heat on the center shaft. Finally broke it loose.

I now have three broken factory lowers in the garage. Time to change it up. Going with a metco lower setup instead. Hopefully that solves the problem.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You make me nervous about going with the 2.9 in the future. I really want to keep the stock caged lower. But I don't want to kill crank pullies.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I think you need a turbo.:poke:

Twins solved my lower pulley issues:rockon:

Trust me this is VERY high on the list of options. My only hold back is I already have two TT cars and building a third single turbo car. My cobra is the only blower car I have and I'd like to keep it that way. Blower and turbo cars are different driving experiences, I like to have both. Both are very fun in their own ways.

mine is double keyed crank for the metco. sorry for your trouble.

Same here my crank is double keyed although there's controversy as to if that's a good thing or not. Innovators West company that makes some pretty good high end aftermarket dampers says it's a bad thing. They claim the key is only for aligning orientation of the damper and it's the press fit that holds it on there. Adding a second key just reduces the surface area of the press fit. Others argue the opposite.

black-plasma

Established Member
I've considered putting my stock lower back on with the 2.9, but I haven't had any issues with my metco 2# lower.

Users who are viewing this thread