My 2.9 Whipple destroys another lower pulley

ctgreddy

Established Member
I would consider running the IW balancer with a metco ring. At your power level I wouldn't want to run a stock pulley anyways. Sucks ati doesn't make one for our cars.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I would consider running the IW balancer with a metco ring. At your power level I wouldn't want to run a stock pulley anyways. Sucks ati doesn't make one for our cars.

What's the correlation between power level and stock balancer? I did take it in with my flywheel for balancing when the internals were balanced. It should be all matched and balanced.

ctgreddy

Established Member
You don't need to balance our engines with the balancer or flywheel because they're Internally balanced. So I guess calling the pulley a dampner would be a better thing lol.

Aftermarket better made pulleys are just safer. They dampen the vibrations way better than a stock unit. Also will help take away a little stress off oil pump gears. Anything aftermarket engine I'd use a different balancer as more of a safety. Every built engine we do at my work we highly suggest a better dampner and if we install an engine it always gets either an ati or IW.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
That's pretty much what my machine shop said too, internals are balanced and damper and flywheel are externally balanced on their own as I understand it. He probably didn't even do anything with them except give them back to me lol.

Well I already have the Metco setup and changing to an Innovators West requires a new / different setup. I think it just requires a custom adapter plate that bolts to the IW damper and allows the Metco outer ring to attach right? the rest of the kit is the same. Maybe I should consider that.

ctgreddy

Established Member
That's pretty much what my machine shop said too, internals are balanced and damper and flywheel are externally balanced on their own as I understand it. He probably didn't even do anything with them except give them back to me lol.

Well I already have the Metco setup and changing to an Innovators West requires a new / different setup. I think it just requires a custom adapter plate that bolts to the IW damper and allows the Metco outer ring to attach right? the rest of the kit is the same. Maybe I should consider that.

I would Atleast consider it. Maybe call your engine builder and tuner see what they suggest. They're expensive but I think at your level it'd be a very good investment. Also you're right the IW just needs an adapter that your metco then bolts to.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Maybe call your engine builder and tuner see what they suggest.

Well my 14 year old son built the motor and I tuned it so not much to call there :)

One thing that does come to mind is RPM. With the cams in the there now I plan on shifting around 7K rpm as that should be peak power but we'll confirm that out on a dyno someday. I'll probably give IW a call and see what insight they have for me as far as the benefits of swapping over and with regards to higher than stock RPMs.

ctgreddy

Established Member
7k isn't that much over factory. We rev stock engine Cobras to 6800-7k so if you're not going past that you may not require a better dampner. If you call IW they will more likely have better info than what I can try and relay but I'm sure they'd be pushing to sell their product also. So just gotta try and figure out if what they say is the facts or a sales pitch.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I did call them. Honestly there was nothing pressing or urgent about me swapping it. Essentially their damper will absorb and smooth out a greater amount of harmonics or vibration than the factory unit could. Also he said the factory unit is metal pressed together with a rubber core so to speak so they can eventually spin loose or the rubber and start to spit and come out. Their unit is a solid housing with internal damper mechanism and won't come apart like a factory unit could. So yeah overall it does sound like a nice piece to have and I'll keep this in mind for a future upgrade but I'm not seeing any reason to make the swap immediately.

Over8oosted

Established Member
Crazy to hear youve scrapped 3 of the stock lowers! Ive got a mint IW 03 cobra dampner for sale if your interested. Nothing wrong with it i have turbo plans and would like to swap out for a non sc dampner.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Crazy to hear youve scrapped 3 of the stock lowers! Ive got a mint IW 03 cobra dampner for sale if your interested. Nothing wrong with it i have turbo plans and would like to swap out for a non sc dampner.

Is it the standard one or the version that's got the metco hub machined in the front? Is it the heavy duty hub and is it double key'd because my crank is.

Thanks

Quick Strike

Established Member
IW will work with you to double key it if it is not. I got mine used and damaged. IW rebuilt it like new. I might have $300 in it total. It is a quality part that I wish was more visible. I have the 2# Metco on it with no problems whatsoever.

I had the Metco adapter on the stock dampener before and I remember it attached with three bolts. That may be an issue for you if you are having trouble damaging lowers. The IW attaches directly to the ring using all of the bolts.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I cant see it costing more than $50 to have it double keyed. Some machine shops in your area may even be able to do it.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Anybody looking to get their lower pulley destroyed just send my way. I'm getting good at this :) lol

Looks like one shaft is missing but it's not. It's suck in the pulley lol

IMG_7229.jpg

Stuck as in this one doesn't come out anymore.

IMG_7217.JPG

IMG_7228.jpg

theparker

Established Member
Anybody looking to get their lower pulley destroyed just send my way. I'm getting good at this :) lol

Looks like one shaft is missing but it's not. It's suck in the pulley lol

IMG_7229.jpg

Stuck as in this one doesn't come out anymore.

IMG_7217.JPG

IMG_7228.jpg

Just get rid of that crap and put on a innovators west crank pulley and a Metco lower. BOOM done

stangfreak

Established Member
Thats what im getting.

malcolm, how much compression are you running in your new motor?

Users who are viewing this thread