Mustang Mach E: The Edsel of our generation

IA Shelby

Established Member
Oof.

"In a press release in March, Ford stated that it would reach an annualised production rate of 210,000 Mach-Es by the end of 2023. At an annualised rate the May sales figures mean Ford is currently selling just 35,000 units of the Mach-E per year or just 17% of the company’s 2023 annual production target"

Goose owns a Mach E GT and raves about it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Oof.

"In a press release in March, Ford stated that it would reach an annualised production rate of 210,000 Mach-Es by the end of 2023. At an annualised rate the May sales figures mean Ford is currently selling just 35,000 units of the Mach-E per year or just 17% of the company’s 2023 annual production target"

mariusvt

Established Member

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Saw one yesterday while out driving. SO anti-climatic. First one I've seen in over 2 months.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
A friend of ours just bought a 2021 Mach E. They knew, once they bought, the judgement I would have towards them. The vehicle is fine, it's an EV whatever....why, why on God's green earth did they call it a Mustang? Why Ford? So stupid...

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
No subscription / can't see it, but I can imagine the corporate bureaucracy at Ford prevents them from succeeding like a more nimble Tesla can in these situations.

I got you fam

Attachments

• Ford Tried to Sell the Electric Mustang to China the Tesla Way—It Didn’t Work - WSJ.pdf
    517.3 KB · Views: 102

Fat Boss

Established Member
You are on. Mach E will be phased out by 2026.

Separately it is LOL that they issued a big press release last quarter about how it is a global car which turns out to mean they sold a single unit in Columbia.

It's definitely a race to the bottom. Rivian stock is down after hours. They don't have an F Series line to lean on like Ford does.

On another note, it felt great to put over 1000 miles on the GT350 this weekend going to Vegas for the Shelby Bash.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I have a super long, very regimented commute so I bought a Mach E GT last month. My plan is to put probably 40-50k miles a year on it and see how long it will last.

To be honest, I ****ing love the car. I've put 4,000 miles on it in just over a month and I would say roughly 80% of that is using BlueCruise on the interstate, hands off. The hands-free really helps with the monotony of 200 miles a day. Have a 90 amp charger installed at the office, so it's fully charged when I leave at the end of the day. I haven't bothered to install a faster charger at home because the 110v is enough to get me back. No more gas stations. Shit charges at the office and is part of the corporate utility expenses. For what I use it for, I'm really happy with it.

The good is that the car drives really nice, and it's got a really nice interior. It's also pretty fast. That BlueCruise shit is shockingly better than I would have thought. I actually use the automatic lane change constantly. Ford also had a big discount on it and was offering 0% interest for 60 months when I got it.

The bad is that I would never buy anything but a Tesla if I had to rely on a public charging network. It's hilariously unreliable. Every single brand sucks. I've stopped a couple times to check public chargers and they are almost always 50/50 operational at best. I would say MAYBE we're 15 years away from any kind of usable public charging situation, but at this point I would say it's more likely never. The car is also way too expensive. I say that, but then I think about what else is available at the same price and the fact is all new cars are super overpriced.

I honestly think they would have sold way more if they had called it literally anything else. I think the car is pretty good looking but if looked exactly the same and was called Model E and just marketed as a sporty electric SUV they would have sold more. I doubt anyone was enticed by the Mustang name and I'm sure some buyers skipped it on the basis that the name is nonsensical.

I also traded in my Bronco Badlands for a Bronco Raptor a couple weeks before I got the Mach E so when I want to get 12 mpg in an SUV I still can. I tell people all the time, on the basis of what car I actually get the maximum enjoyment out of, Bronco with the doors and roof off beats the shit out of everything else. Different tools for different jobs.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I have a super long, very regimented commute so I bought a Mach E GT last month. My plan is to put probably 40-50k miles a year on it and see how long it will last.

To be honest, I ****ing love the car. I've put 4,000 miles on it in just over a month and I would say roughly 80% of that is using BlueCruise on the interstate, hands off. The hands-free really helps with the monotony of 200 miles a day. Have a 90 amp charger installed at the office, so it's fully charged when I leave at the end of the day. I haven't bothered to install a faster charger at home because the 110v is enough to get me back. No more gas stations. Shit charges at the office and is part of the corporate utility expenses. For what I use it for, I'm really happy with it.

The good is that the car drives really nice, and it's got a really nice interior. It's also pretty fast. That BlueCruise shit is shockingly better than I would have thought. I actually use the automatic lane change constantly. Ford also had a big discount on it and was offering 0% interest for 60 months when I got it.

The bad is that I would never buy anything but a Tesla if I had to rely on a public charging network. It's hilariously unreliable. Every single brand sucks. I've stopped a couple times to check public chargers and they are almost always 50/50 operational at best. I would say MAYBE we're 15 years away from any kind of usable public charging situation, but at this point I would say it's more likely never. The car is also way too expensive. I say that, but then I think about what else is available at the same price and the fact is all new cars are super overpriced.

I honestly think they would have sold way more if they had called it literally anything else. I think the car is pretty good looking but if looked exactly the same and was called Model E and just marketed as a sporty electric SUV they would have sold more. I doubt anyone was enticed by the Mustang name and I'm sure some buyers skipped it on the basis that the name is nonsensical.

I also traded in my Bronco Badlands for a Bronco Raptor a couple weeks before I got the Mach E so when I want to get 12 mpg in an SUV I still can. I tell people all the time, on the basis of what car I actually get the maximum enjoyment out of, Bronco with the doors and roof off beats the shit out of everything else. Different tools for different jobs.

Nice review, personally the Mach E isn’t for me. My uncle has one and loves it. I wish they woulda called it something different like Galaxie or something. Another big issue for me is it seems like in general the govt is trying to Ram this down our throats and force MFG’s to do this. I still think we’re far off on infrastructure for electric vehicles. Batteries at least getting materials and disposing of them doesn’t help there narrative imho. I think they should focus more on hybrids or synthetic fuel like Porsche was doing. I also hope Ford doesn’t abandon the Mustang and make it only electric option after the S650 but it seems that’s where they’re headed for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Nice review, personally the Mach E isn’t for me. My uncle has one and loves it. I wish they woulda called it something different like Galaxie or something. Another big issue for me is it seems like in general the govt is trying to Ram this down our throats and force MFG’s to do this. I still think we’re far off on infrastructure for electric vehicles. Batteries at least getting materials and disposing of them doesn’t help there narrative imho. I think they should focus more on hybrids or synthetic fuel like Porsche was doing. I also hope Ford doesn’t abandon the Mustang and make it only electric option after the S650 but it seems that’s where they’re headed for now.

Galaxie? The four door sedan they used to put big blocks in and drag race? That one would've bothered me too, not as much as Mustang, but still would've bothered me.

Why don't manufacturers just come up with, I dunno, new ****ing names?

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Galaxie? The four door sedan they used to put big blocks in and drag race? That one would've bothered me too, not as much as Mustang, but still would've bothered me.

Why don't manufacturers just come up with, I dunno, new ****ing names?

Yeah but from a marketing standpoint they’re trying to sell this electric as the future I think it would’ve been smarter. They only used the Lustang nameplate because even if you’re not into cars you most likely know what a Mustang is. They didn’t because they probably figured Mustang Mach E would get more attention. That said at least they aren’t super lazy like some MFG’s that use letters or numbers.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Yeah but from a marketing standpoint they’re trying to sell this electric as the future I think it would’ve been smarter. They only used the Lustang nameplate because even if you’re not into cars you most likely know what a Mustang is. They didn’t because they probably figured Mustang Mach E would get more attention. That said at least they aren’t super lazy like some MFG’s that use letters or numbers.

I understand what the marketing team is thinking, doesn't mean they're right though. It's a computer that runs on batteries...letters and numbers are a better fit than the blasphemous use of the names of classics

Users who are viewing this thread