• undefined - Imgur.gif
    undefined - Imgur.gif
    997.7 KB · Views: 39

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I used to be a huge fan of Nascar and NHRA. I lost interest at the turn of the century when both got more PC as the years went by. Too much drama as well. I watch maybe one Nascar race a year, or part of one. NHRA? Nada! Back in the '60s and '70s it was pretty much grass roots racing. It was fun to watch, whether on tv or locally/regionally. I even used to love watching the Indy 500. I don't even remember the last one I watched.

Paul, I used to enjoy the old IROC Series, too. Oh, and TransAm racing. I loved those TransAm races and the competition. THOSE were the days of real racing. Racing that touched our souls. JMO.

DoneItDeliberate

Established Member
I used to be a huge fan of Nascar and NHRA. I lost interest at the turn of the century when both got more PC as the years went by. Too much drama as well. I watch maybe one Nascar race a year, or part of one. NHRA? Nada! Back in the '60s and '70s it was pretty much grass roots racing. It was fun to watch, whether on tv or locally/regionally. I even used to love watching the Indy 500. I don't even remember the last one I watched.

Paul, I used to enjoy the old IROC Series, too. Oh, and TransAm racing. I loved those TransAm races and the competition. THOSE were the days of real racing. Racing that touched our souls. JMO.
I feel the same way about NHRA, I still don't like that Top Fuel and Funny Car are running 1000 feet and not 1320.

I still watch the Indy 500 but I usually watch the start and the last 20-25 laps.

It still bothers me that certain sponsors are banned from sponsoring race cars (in certain series) because their products have been deemed 'unhealthy'. I love all the 70s/80s/90s liveries with cigarette and beer brands.

Two of my favorite race cars of all time have not PC approved liveries: Rusty Wallace's MGD #2 Wiston Cup car and Aryton Senna's MP4/4.

Here's the MP4/4:
McLaren-Senna-Instituto-Ayrton-Senna.jpg

Here's Rusty's MGD 2:
hV00Mh3BuriG7eyY4q_GPfjYpq-gNXzo8VdbHA5TsgtOF3pzn3Aa5Uh_JgopOSegI2sR5blLmYnPhn8H6rGyW8q3vbk0KMbQacypw8g_clLYjAD3aS3dVqD_ANbhlrHcxCnCXw

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I feel the same way about NHRA, I still don't like that Top Fuel and Funny Car are running 1000 feet and not 1320.

I still watch the Indy 500 but I usually watch the start and the last 20-25 laps.

It still bothers me that certain sponsors are banned from sponsoring race cars (in certain series) because their products have been deemed 'unhealthy'. I love all the 70s/80s/90s liveries with cigarette and beer brands.

Two of my favorite race cars of all time have not PC approved liveries: Rusty Wallace's MGD #2 Wiston Cup car and Aryton Senna's MP4/4.

Here's the MP4/4:
McLaren-Senna-Instituto-Ayrton-Senna.jpg

Here's Rusty's MGD 2:
hV00Mh3BuriG7eyY4q_GPfjYpq-gNXzo8VdbHA5TsgtOF3pzn3Aa5Uh_JgopOSegI2sR5blLmYnPhn8H6rGyW8q3vbk0KMbQacypw8g_clLYjAD3aS3dVqD_ANbhlrHcxCnCXw

I still go to an NHRA event every year. Standing up by that tree when they launch is undescribable. Feels like you get kicked in the chest by a horse.
As far as the 1000 ft goes, I was in Englishtown on that sad day when Scott Kalitta died. That was the event that got that whole 1000' deal rolling.
The track was dead silent for a while, then they just sent everyone home. It wasn't til we saw it on ESPN at the hotel that we saw he actually died. From what I have heard, after his car exploded by the finish line, his chutes did not open and he ran out of track and hit a concrete wall.

DoneItDeliberate

Established Member
I still go to an NHRA event every year. Standing up by that tree when they launch is undescribable. Feels like you get kicked in the chest by a horse.
As far as the 1000 ft goes, I was in Englishtown on that sad day when Scott Kalitta died. That was the event that got that whole 1000' deal rolling.
The track was dead silent for a while, then they just sent everyone home. It wasn't til we saw it on ESPN at the hotel that we saw he actually died. From what I have heard, after his car exploded by the finish line, his chutes did not open and he ran out of track and hit a concrete wall.
Scott's crash was tragic. I wish the NHRA had required tracks to upgrade their facilities instead of going to 1000'.

I'll never forget my first NHRA race, went to Winternationals at Pomona, sat in line with the tree 3 rows from the top. Made my noise cancelling ear protection fail immediately. Went with two of my buddies (both Mustang guys), one of which passed away this summer. I'm gonna go be sad now.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
World of outlaws or else tour local hometown track. No big pockets, talented, no bs, if there’s issues… you see it handled in the haulers after the race.

I’ll admit too I like nascar but cmon man, they’re literally begging for their core fan base to leave towards other people who want certain things for political reasons

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Used to be a huge F1 fan, but lost interest after Michael left. Actually went to Indy to watch a race when they had them there. Awesome sound.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Scott's crash was tragic. I wish the NHRA had required tracks to upgrade their facilities instead of going to 1000'.

I'll never forget my first NHRA race, went to Winternationals at Pomona, sat in line with the tree 3 rows from the top. Made my noise cancelling ear protection fail immediately. Went with two of my buddies (both Mustang guys), one of which passed away this summer. I'm gonna go be sad now.

And how do you upgrade when you need another 1000 feet for a shut down lane and can't. Hell Norwalk can not as that 1000 feet goes into less than level ground and it would take close to 3-8 million on leveling it, that is leveling not adding the concrete or asphalt which would be another couple of million I am sure. Then you have other places like Indy that is totally built up around it and so again can not.

The only other alternative would be to look for wide open big parcels to build whole new tracks, and ask Neckcar how good that has been for them after they closed down or moved from their heritage old tracks for those big shiny out west ones. They totally isolated and left their old guard fans for the new fans. Except those new fans was casual and after either a season or two was no where to be seen. While it was the old guard that was there every single season and a lot at every single race.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
F1 has been ho hum for years. BUT this year, has been fantastic. The is a true title fight. I was initially ambivalent, of the change of commentators, from a US based crew, but it was the right thing. The world feed team is on site and excellent. Added bonus, they show you the whole race, with out commercials. I have the TV on already for quali that comes on in 40 min.

IMSA is puts on a good show too. I'll watch a lot of the 24 in Feb.

Asscar left me behind years ago. The revolving door of drivers, and livery's could not keep track of anything. Things are changing BIG time this season. They are now racing cars with technology from this century, and a lot of teams advantages that they had in their chassis, are gone, so the field might be leveled. I also did like them diversifying the tracks they ran on (more road courses, even dirt). But I still have no clue why the races have segments, or the playoffs (chase?)? Beats me...

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I watch F1 when I can (but I'm not getting up at 4-5am on a Sunday to watch it), gets kind of monotonous watching Hamilton win every single weekend lol
Going into today's race Max had 9 wins, LH had 8 wins...

That being said, I have not watched F1 since LH went all in on BLM 2 years ago. You know, because he is an oppressed minority. (sarcasm).

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Been watching a lot of these hillclimb videos recently. A lot of exotic and unique vehicles with stupid amounts of hp going balls to the wall on these narrow roads.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
F1 was awesome with the V12, V10, V8 era. This Turbo/hybrid V-6 crap is boring.
Watch videos of V12, V10, V8 F1 cars and then compare that to today's V6 crap. It is no wonder that the interest in the sport is down.
I always loved F1 because of the technology, but the FIA has killed that aspect of the sport.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Another Cleetus fan here. lol. Love what that guy has done.

Other than that, drag racing of all kinds and anything dirt/clay open wheel.

DoneItDeliberate

Established Member
Another Cleetus fan here. lol. Love what that guy has done.

Other than that, drag racing of all kinds and anything dirt/clay open wheel.
The last 2.4 hours of Le Mullets driver's list was incredible. The guy is really doing something special for gear heads.

Users who are viewing this thread