Motor Trend Track Comparison between C8 and GT500 at VIR

blk02edge

Established Member
@blk02edge what did you have done on yer miata

Asking for a friend
Gutted to 1790lbs wet, full spec 6 point cage, full poly, race valved coilovers with 700lb springs front, 350lb rear, sway bar front only and I was a fan of the Nankang AR1 tires. 100% stock engine/tranny/ torsen diff. The miata was a learning tool and off to a new owner

Just made an offer on an F1000 and owner accepted. Pick that up jan 3rd.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I like the sound of the build but I can’t see it reaching much over 115mph on track. I know first hand gt3’s will run north of 130mph just fine through minor kinks etc.

Are you saying in low speed stuff like 30-80mph yer Miata was hanging with gt3 apex cornering speeds? I could see that but as far as anything resembling exit speed, or well driven lines, no offense but I know the gt3 will run away from stock power miata’s. Keep in mind yer on a semi slick
FEDD4D0F-6C1F-4BE3-A049-95BA8ADB7ED8.jpeg

And gt3’s come on a 200tw+ deal. If you had a Honda S2000 with 250whp you probably could lap close to a stock gt3 with just those tires and brake fluid/pads/lines, probably even just 220whp.

Not taking anything from finely driving a home brew cool sounding Miata, just saying if you did it on a similar tire to a gt3’s then I’d be really really impressed.

I can out drive people easy enough, but I can for sure say I am faster in a fast car, I haven’t driven one, but I know I would be in heaven driving a manual zr1 or a manual zl1-1le for example. I am not big on Chevy but those cars are beyond impressive

blk02edge

Established Member
I like the sound of the build but I can’t see it reaching much over 115mph on track. I know first hand gt3’s will run north of 130mph just fine through minor kinks etc.

Are you saying in low speed stuff like 30-80mph yer Miata was hanging with gt3 apex cornering speeds? I could see that but as far as anything resembling exit speed, or well driven lines, no offense but I know the gt3 will run away from stock power miata’s. Keep in mind yer on a semi slick
View attachment 1616025

And gt3’s come on a 200tw+ deal. If you had a Honda S2000 with 250whp you probably could lap close to a stock gt3 with just those tires and brake fluid/pads/lines, probably even just 220whp.

Not taking anything from finely driving a home brew cool sounding Miata, just saying if you did it on a similar tire to a gt3’s then I’d be really really impressed.

I can out drive people easy enough, but I can for sure say I am faster in a fast car, I haven’t driven one, but I know I would be in heaven driving a manual zr1 or a manual zl1-1le for example. I am not big on Chevy but those cars are beyond impressive
115?? I wish. It maxed at 101mph on our 1/2 mile straight. If you throw a pro in a 3RS it runs away in every possible way. I was just saying the average good amateur was not.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
115?? I wish. It maxed at 101mph on our 1/2 mile straight. If you throw a pro in a 3RS it runs away in every possible way. I was just saying the average good amateur was not.

Lol, at least yer honest and a great sport. 101 isn’t bad for 100whp area. Just another 50whp would have taken that Miata to dramatically quicker lap times if that’s the case.

Can you throw up an overhead pic of the track?

blk02edge

Established Member
Lol, at least yer honest and a great sport. 101 isn’t bad for 100whp area. Just another 50whp would have taken that Miata to dramatically quicker lap times if that’s the case.

Can you throw up an overhead pic of the track?
3.5 miles 16Turn. We had a guy show up with a 200whp fully track prepped miata on slicks with aero. He was new to the track and he put down incredible laps.
Screenshot_2019-01-27-08-41-34-1.png

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Holy shit I can’t imagine how fun that would be on a track.

Should be cheap enough to race too.

Wow, what a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

blk02edge

Established Member
Holy shit I can’t imagine how fun that would be on a track.

Should be cheap enough to race too.

Wow, what a blast.

Yea, its still "entry level" but.. Really compared to any street car its hard to explain... Just... ****en fast

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I can imagine.

I’ve had a few 200 hp Vw powered mid engine sand buggy’s that weigh right around 1000 lbs wet, so similar power to weight ratio.

And yes, fast AF. Definitely hard to explain and unlike any sports or road car.

My94GT

Established Member
See I’ve had very mixed bag Miata situations. I haven’t tracked them hard and aggressive, but I have been in and driven aggressive built miata’s on canyons. Some with 3ft aero spoilers etc.

Sketchy. As. ****.

Just too short of wheelbase. I have to steer them with minimalism in mind. I can literally ring the neck of my 03 cobra and 4 wheel drift it at 100 (built suspension/I know the car)

Miatas I’ve tried to do similar with feel like they have 4 wheel steering or something... too much toe, or camber? Just not confidence inspiring.

Stock miatas are excellent but I have yet to pilot or ride in a 300+whp Miata that didn’t seem unhinged... have gave horribly bumpy back roads though, Rocky Mountains have tons of hot/cold to break up the surface

On sla: I’m excited to put an agent or Griggs sla on my cobra... been a long time coming.

On ugly Camaro ss 1LE interior: I’m happy with my 17 year old cobra interior. The ss 1le interior is like a Bugatti or a Bentley to my Neanderthal ass

out of curiosity, have you ran a road course before? I regularly see you discuss canyon carving but the two really aren’t one in the same. They are actually vastly different.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
out of curiosity, have you ran a road course before? I regularly see you discuss canyon carving but the two really aren’t one in the same. They are actually vastly different.

I’ve ran 5 maybe 6 different session, 3+ were Wednesday night no passing corners/ open track nights. A few were private rentals with much more room to play. All were very logistically/safety planned. Not all that exciting but very educational. 2-3 hours of training/school basically. Very good stuff. Don’t overdrive your wrists, skid/car control...

Our track is 1.5hours away so I don’t go unless a group/friends are going which is basically never anymore...

Canton stuff is dangerous and stupid, couldn’t agree more. On track you get booted in 2 minutes for being dumb.

My94GT

Established Member
I’ve ran 5 maybe 6 different session, 3+ were Wednesday night no passing corners/ open track nights. A few were private rentals with much more room to play. All were very logistically/safety planned. Not all that exciting but very educational. 2-3 hours of training/school basically. Very good stuff. Don’t overdrive your wrists, skid/car control...

Our track is 1.5hours away so I don’t go unless a group/friends are going which is basically never anymore...

Canton stuff is dangerous and stupid, couldn’t agree more. On track you get booted in 2 minutes for being dumb.

Ah ok, yea it’s the struggle of tracks and being so far away for most. Tracks can also spoil canyon or back road sprints as you realize just how little you’re able to push on the street be it car or bike for the reason you said....flat out so much risk.

even a little track time makes you appreciate what ever you’re running is capable of and most importantly to me it’s humbling. I haven’t done any in a car, I used to auto X but that’s nothing like a track. I did however do many track days on a bike including VIR for a rain day and dry day. Very fun and technical track at points. The humble pie with track days was real though.

blk02edge

Established Member
Ah ok, yea it’s the struggle of tracks and being so far away for most. Tracks can also spoil canyon or back road sprints as you realize just how little you’re able to push on the street be it car or bike for the reason you said....flat out so much risk.

even a little track time makes you appreciate what ever you’re running is capable of and most importantly to me it’s humbling. I haven’t done any in a car, I used to auto X but that’s nothing like a track. I did however do many track days on a bike including VIR for a rain day and dry day. Very fun and technical track at points. The humble pie with track days was real though.
Best part is when you think a car is a monster based on street experience then get it on a track and find out its a floppy mess.

My94GT

Established Member
I always get suckered into giving rides to friends in their "perfectly capable" street cars. I warn them and then proceed to kill their brakes by T2

I am sure it’s similar with cars, on my bike the best thing I ever did was brake pads, lines, and fluid. What I wish I would have done from there was far more seat time before I went dumping cash into suspension, tune, track side equipment etc

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
mom sure it’s similar with cars, on my bike the best thing I ever did was brake pads, lines, and fluid. What I wish I would have done from there was far more seat time before I went dumping cash into suspension, tune, track side equipment etc
What bike are ya running? I haven't had the nuts to try one yet. Id like to try small CC sport bike on the track one day.

My94GT

Established Member
What bike are ya running? I haven't had the nuts to try one yet. Id like to try small CC sport bike on the track one day.

none currently, sold off my track toys to buy a house when my wife got Preggo lol. I was running a R6. It was gobs of fun and I learned a lot. I miss the bike but I did have a couple hard wrecks and a fractured pelvis came from one. If I didn’t have a son and one on the way I’d get another in a heart beat. I do want to pick up a car at some point and hit track days here or there.

if I were to hop back on another track bike I’d grab an R3 or a FZ9 something slower and focus on better body positioning and corner speed.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
To be fast on a track, you need brakes and ability to keep the systems cool.

Aggressive street driving, even in canyons, is at best, warm up and cool down laps on a track.

Yer maybe 10/10th in a canyon for 1-2 minutes. On track, 5-10 minutes in, 15-20 min in, yer car falls on its face if it doesn’t have brakes or cooling.

Users who are viewing this thread