Motor Trend Track Comparison between C8 and GT500 at VIR

blk02edge

Established Member
Holy shit I can’t imagine how fun that would be on a track.

Should be cheap enough to race too.

Wow, what a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
See the everyone's rides pic thread... I didnt end up with that yellow one..

P5Boy

Established Member
Premium Member
...but then the 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE beats the non-CFTP lap time:

1:58.7 on a (air-quote) **100% stock** (air-quote) w/RaceChrono Pro. I am curious about the GPS accuracy. Driver doesn't elaborate on the setup/telematics specifics.

I'll ask again, has the 2020 GT500 jumped the shark?

It would seem that the current model halo Camaro is faster than the non-CFTP version.
The CFTP version can't be had for MSRP (or even close).
Current Z06s/ZR1s are going for very aggressive prices.

Where is the value (other than Ford/Mustang allegiance) in the 2020 GT500?

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
2 yr old ZL1 1LE, 110 HP down, manual transmission and still faster than 2020 Shelby (non CFTP).

Impressive, mullet-mobile. Impressive!

blk02edge

Established Member

1:58.7 on a (air-quote) **100% stock** (air-quote) w/RaceChrono Pro. I am curious about the GPS accuracy. Driver doesn't elaborate on the setup/telematics specifics.

It would seem that the current model halo Camaro is faster than the non-CFTP version.

The Z1LE is a lot more aggressive of a car than the base 500, Im still not sure why anyone is suprised by it. It's going to be even closer to the CFTP with Pobst driving both on most other tracks. Too many people falling for the Billy J hype train and all the BS that was spread about it being faster than an ACR and FGT

P5Boy

Established Member
Premium Member
So then, why would _anyone_ (other than True Believers) buy a 2020 GT500? HP???

2020 Camaro ZL1 M6 1LE Extreme Track Performance Package has an MSRP of $72,195.
2020 Mustang GT500 w/Handling Pack/Recaros has an MSRP of $77,090.

IMHO, it feels like the 2020 GT500 is insignificant outside the Mustang World (again?).

Must. Beat. Crapmaro.

blk02edge

Established Member

2020 Camaro ZL1 M6 1LE Extreme Track Performance Package has an MSRP of $72,195.

IMHO, it feels like the 2020 GT500 is insignificant outside the Mustang World (again?).

Must. Beat. Crapmaro.
Well the GT500 will destroy the 1LE in a straight line and be a lot more street friendly. A tire change will put the handling pack right where the ZLE is too.

Discounts vs ADM definitely makes the camaro the better bang for the buck at the moment

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member

Must. Beat. Crapmaro.
The real world price gap is much larger when you figure a likely 15%-ish off MSRP on the ZLE and a likely ADM on the 500. Plus, you get to keep the manual if that is a big deal to the buyer.

However, what they’re doing with cat deletes, a tune, injectors, and e85 on the GT500 is some beastly shit.

It takes a myriad of fueling combos to simply run full e85 on the LT4.

My94GT

Established Member
People will buy the GT500 simply for personal preference. Only a small portion of owners of either car will track them anyway. The GT500 will likely hold value down the toad better as well.

personally given the two, even if the GT500 didn’t perform as well I’d rather own one. The camaro just doesn’t do it for me. I see them and they look nice but I sit in them and I’m just like nah no desire to own one. Not sure why but for me that’s just how it is. Stellar performer though and cheap all things considered.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
If you like cheap, ugly interior design of the camaro and horrible visibility this is the car for you. Started back when I used to own a '12 ZL1 and still the same in the 1LE platform. No arguing the point the price they can be had at for what you get.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Must. Beat. Crapmaro.

To make it worse, that 1le camaro can be had for $10-15k UNDER MSRP any day of the week almost anywhere in the nation.

If you like cheap, ugly interior design of the camaro and horrible visibility this is the car for you. Started back when I used to own a '12 ZL1 and still the same in the 1LE platform. No arguing the point the price they can be had at for what you get.

The visibility is a problem. Ive driven a bunch of 6th gen mullets and i do not like that.

But to say the interior quality or design is better in a Mustang is laughable.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
To make it worse, that 1le camaro can be had for $10-15k UNDER MSRP any day of the week almost anywhere in the nation.

The visibility is a problem. Ive driven a bunch of 6th gen mullets and i do not like that.

But to say the interior quality or design is better in a Mustang is laughable.

the visibility is not a problem either. 2 weeks into driving the car, you learn its angles and you never thing about it anymore.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
the visibility is not a problem either. 2 weeks into driving the car, you learn its angles and you never thing about it anymore.
Yeah besides not fitting a helmet or 30 pack through the window easily, i don’t get this. I had a 16GT and 17GT350 and didn’t feel as if i was in a fishbowl.

Plus, the mullet comes with the indicators on the mirrors if someone is even remotely close to you.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

Must. Beat. Crapmaro.
What is your argument? That the ZL1 1LE ‘might’ beat the base GT500 and is $5k cheaper?
Yes we buy these cars for performance, but it’s also about the complete package. When you’re spending $75k range, getting the car you want is all that matters.
That DCT seems to be legit and from every single review, EVERY SINGLE ONE has been positive. Almost universally they appreciate how the new 500 is the best all-around performance car and remains very streetable with minimal sacrifices compared to its on track ability.
Forget the ADM reasoning BS, as the reality is any new it thing is in high demand. Now if you have cash burning thru your pocket, yes, you’re stuck with ADM.
But doesn’t ADM reinforce the argument of how much better the 500 compares to the ZL1. You can upcharge one and discount the other and people will still bend over for the 500.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

Let’s see a review with same driver on same day.
I’m waiting to see the ZL1 1LE auto vs CFTP GT500.
And even then, which car has more potential with basic mods.
That’s the huge factor many forget, how much potential does the platform hold for the common mods?
I’ll take the 5.2/TVS2650/TremecDCT all day.
-J

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Only an absolute idiot or someone who hates the GT500 because they can't afford it would think the ZL1 1LE is better. The same ZL1 that is more than a second slower to 150 than the 13-14 GT500.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
What is your argument? That the ZL1 1LE ‘might’ beat the base GT500 and is $5k cheaper?
Yes we buy these cars for performance, but it’s also about the complete package. When you’re spending $75k range, getting the car you want is all that matters.
That DCT seems to be legit and from every single review, EVERY SINGLE ONE has been positive. Almost universally they appreciate how the new 500 is the best all-around performance car and remains very streetable with minimal sacrifices compared to its on track ability.
Forget the ADM reasoning BS, as the reality is any new it thing is in high demand. Now if you have cash burning thru your pocket, yes, you’re stuck with ADM.
But doesn’t ADM reinforce the argument of how much better the 500 compares to the ZL1. You can upcharge one and discount the other and people will still bend over for the 500.
-J
Very good way to put it, at massive discounts these gm products still sit lol! But hopefully soon we get a real side by side test vs the 1LE and the C8 Z51 same day same driver.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Ive heard that a lot. I just couldn't get used to it. Maybe with more seat time it would get better. Longest i had one in my possession continuously was about 4 days as a rental for work.

Only an absolute idiot or someone who hates the GT500 because they can't afford it would think the ZL1 1LE is better. The same ZL1 that is more than a second slower to 150 than the 13-14 GT500.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the old-- You must be poor because you cant agree that the 500 kicks everyone's ass mentality........... gotta love it.

How original... Hillary would be so proud!

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
Ive heard that a lot. I just couldn't get used to it. Maybe with more seat time it would get better. Longest i had one in my possession was about 4 days as a rental for work.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the old-- You must be poor because you cant agree that the 500 kicks everyone's ass mentality........... gotta love it.

How original... Hillary would be so proud!
If I remember correctly he actually IS with her

Users who are viewing this thread