Motor Trend Track Comparison between C8 and GT500 at VIR

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
That’s the huge factor many forget, how much potential does the platform hold for the common mods?

The 5.2 appears to be a beast, but the LT4 is no slouch. These are 1000whp all day long with headers/intake, fuel system upgrade, procharger F1A and e85. Not sure that you even need heads and cam but could be mistaken. RPM has a vid of one they did that hit 1k.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Let’s see a review with same driver on same day.
I’m waiting to see the ZL1 1LE auto vs CFTP GT500.
And even then, which car has more potential with basic mods.
That’s the huge factor many forget, how much potential does the platform hold for the common mods?
I’ll take the 5.2/TVS2650/TremecDCT all day.
-J
IMO cost and ease of upgrades to 800rwhp easily goes to the 500, only caveat being what the TREMEC will hold safely.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Tremec rates it for 625tq or whatever. At 9000rpm.

That’s 1071hp. Call it ~1000whp.

I think that is when they will start to really need upgrades is the 1000whp Range. Me? I’d call it good at 825whp. With the dct that’s enough for stupidly easy 9’s@145mph.

If you want 8’s@160, you’ll need to open the dct and mess with stuff imo

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
So a 1LE went 1:58.xx and a gt500 handling pack went 1:59 on a 200tw tire?

And people are surprised? The cftp went 1:56.xx. It costs more than a 1le because it can sell at that price and the 1le can’t. It’s called a market.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
So a 1LE went 1:58.xx and a gt500 handling pack went 1:59 on a 200tw tire?

And people are surprised? The cftp went 1:56.xx. It costs more than a 1le because it can sell at that price and the 1le can’t. It’s called a market.

People getting salty about the ZL1 1LE barely pipping the GT500 and claiming it's a superior car because it costs less. It never ceases to amaze me the dim understanding some folks have over the differences between tires.

Eagle F1 Supercar tires were fantastic on the 13-14 cars but only when in their ideal temperature range. They would go plastic at moderate temps. Guys switched to MPSSs because of this. Anything under 75 they were slippery. 80-90+ degrees they gripped like hell. The newest version on the ZL1 is undoubtedly a superior track tire to the Michelins MPS4s but not on the level of the Cup 2s. So a 1-second difference with a better tire on a track-focused model running on spool valve shocks isn't impressive. They can hate all they want but the GT500 and especially the CFTP is on another level.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Tremec rates it for 625tq or whatever. At 9000rpm.

That’s 1071hp. Call it ~1000whp.

I think that is when they will start to really need upgrades is the 1000whp Range. Me? I’d call it good at 825whp. With the dct that’s enough for stupidly easy 9’s@145mph.

If you want 8’s@160, you’ll need to open the dct and mess with stuff imo
I enjoy your shorter replies.
I tend to glaze over on your normal dissertations.
Work on that in 2020.
Yes I’m giving out New Years resolutions today :)
Mine is to have my new GT500 ordered by my 40th in April :)
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
People getting salty about the ZL1 1LE barely pipping the GT500 and claiming it's a superior car because it costs less. It never ceases to amaze me the dim understanding some folks have over the differences between tires.

Eagle F1 Supercar tires were fantastic on the 13-14 cars but only when in their ideal temperature range. They would go plastic at moderate temps. Guys switched to MPSSs because of this. Anything under 75 they were slippery. 80-90+ degrees they gripped like hell. The newest version on the ZL1 is undoubtedly a superior track tire to the Michelins MPS4s but not on the level of the Cup 2s. So a 1-second difference with a better tire on a track-focused model running on spool valve shocks isn't impressive. They can hate all they want but the GT500 and especially the CFTP is on another level.
Exactly. People tend to forget tires are the absolute number one most important thing for a performance application.
I daily drive on NT555Rs.
I drag on MTs (bias ply or radial depending on trans).
I wouldn’t run either on a road course :)
Brings me back to the point of this new GT500 being exactly what I’m hoping for, an all around balance to enjoy on the street primarily, but still have fun on a road course, drag strip or top speed event.
Minimal mods and 800-900rwhp on E85 with adjustable exhaust and great mag ride quality.
I’m still keeping my ‘14 for its awesome qualities, but this new 500 has the best potential for an all around performer.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The 5.2 appears to be a beast, but the LT4 is no slouch. These are 1000whp all day long with headers/intake, fuel system upgrade, procharger F1A and e85. Not sure that you even need heads and cam but could be mistaken. RPM has a vid of one they did that hit 1k.
I hear your point, but I still see that current 500 combo as the best potential for my goals personally.
The Hellcat platform would be second on mod potential with the LTs as third for power on lowest cost/minimal mods.
But the DCT is just the trump card to me.
The next top level Vettes with TT, DOHC and the same DCT have some crazy potential if it actually plays out that way.
-J

blk02edge

Established Member

The problem with your logic here is that you are comparing a video of some guy, who is guaranteed not as fast as Randy P. Randy was faster than Jim Mero with Infinite less seat time in the ZLE same track same day (a track neither were familiar with). When you finally see the ZLE and the 500's tested same day on practically any other track you will see the ZLE is closer to the CFTP than the base car.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The problem with your logic here is that you are comparing a video of some guy, who is guaranteed not as fast as Randy P. Randy was faster than Jim Mero with less seat time in the ZLE same track same day. When you finally see the ZLE and the 500's tested same day on practically any other track you will see the ZLE is closer to the CFTP than the base car.
Maybe. I guess we’ll see.
But either way I guarantee whoever tests them will prefer the GT500 on the street. Which is why the Mustang will continue selling while the Camaro May go away. Guys that buy theses cars rarely go hardcore track use with them. The track numbers may help them sell, but 90% will never see a track and that’s where the 500 shines, its the much better street car.
-J

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The problem with your logic here is that you are comparing a video of some guy, who is guaranteed not as fast as Randy P. Randy was faster than Jim Mero with Infinite less seat time in the ZLE same track same day (a track neither were familiar with). When you finally see the ZLE and the 500's tested same day on practically any other track you will see the ZLE is closer to the CFTP than the base car.

Zle should be pretty quick in Randy’s hands, the gt500 cftp will still be faster.

Even the zl1 1le struggles to put power down in 2nd on corner exit. Motor makes lots of torque earlier than the 5.2. Consequence is with 650hp of motivation, meaning less available acceleration, it is dealing with more torque than needed to scoot 3900lbs around a track.

The 4070lbs cftp gt500 has more usable power everywhere on track, and a dct to handle tight situations and complex transitions.

While Randy Phobst might get a Zle within a second of a cftp gt500, the average drivers nation wide will run well ahead of zle’s in just handling pack gt500’s.

I’ll wait to brag later about calling this from now.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
Maybe. I guess we’ll see.
But either way I guarantee whoever tests them will prefer the GT500 on the street. Which is why the Mustang will continue selling while the Camaro May go away. Guys that buy theses cars rarely go hardcore track use with them. The track numbers may help them sell, but 90% will never see a track and that’s where the 500 shines, its the much better street car.
-J
100% I agree that as a complete package the 500 is superior. The way I see it is buy a handling pack car and order the bespoke Cup2 and a set of track wheels and I think that will put it ahead of the ZLE on paper and be a MUCH better street car with far greater straight line performance as well.

gofast15

Established Member
I haven't drove the GT500 with CF package yet but I drove my buddies ZL1 1LE , that suspension is horrible for regular street driving.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member

All valid points.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
GM is better. Was better. Always will be better.
Dodge is better. Was better. Always will be better.
The fact that ford took 4 years r and d on the gt500 only cements these facts. Still losing to stock cars that were designed/created 10+ years ago is an abomination!

Well according to some people...

4VFTW

Established Member
Handling Package should have included Cup2's. The fricken PP2 GT gets them for God's sake.
The strut mounts should be included at the very least. The non track focused version shouldn't come with a basically track only tire imo. If you want SC2's , buy a set after you bake the PS4S's off the rear.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The strut mounts should be included at the very least. The non track focused version shouldn't come with a basically track only tire imo. If you want SC2's , buy a set after you bake the PS4S's off the rear.
Handling pack gets the gurney flap, splitter wickers and adj strut mounts. I agree with Tob that it should also have included the more aggressive tires for a no cost option.
But as you said, tires will be a wear item faster than most cars if you Track it.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread