More power for the 2019 Miata?

blk02edge

Established Member
20170911_213455.png

But seriously this is why the miata is a great car. Nothing else street legal can claim this
Screenshot_20170920-200014.png

blk02edge

Established Member
They last because they don’t make enough power to break. Add 50-100 hp and they start falling apart.
Not the point. If you want an affordable track car thats the way to go. Power isnt that important on a road course anyway

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I considered buying one a few years ago, with no track use in mind. It just didn't have near enough power. Handling was fine. Just lacked power.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Yep, all the 10-12K ones have a lot miles and look beat.

The S2000 is the car I want but would never tell my friends about haha. They have surprisingly held there value spot on, i see a lot of guys buy the beater ones and LS swap them.. pretty good platform. Never could stoop to the Miata level but S2000....

Never_Enough

Established Member
They need a lot more power, every HPDE I have done the Miatas are always in the way. It's so bad that even if you put Michael Schumacher in one (pre ski crash of course) I would still lap him in my 08 Bullitt.
Yea, Miatas as race cars (I'm obviously not talking drag) are always terrible & never win races...

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
For what they are, they are a cool option. I would never BRAG that I owned a Miata. Hard to argue though with the real world results. Not a world beater, but the fact you can actually beat on it on a road course and still drive home in one piece says a lot.

Power wise, honestly the only NA thing I can think of is port the head, header, a thinner head gasket, deck the head, run 100 octane and bump the timing for the track. Not sure the engine has enough displacement that a cam would make a difference, though if it were profiled for 3500 to redline it might make a difference. Would probably need at least a 3 angle valve job, maybe even a 5 angle to really take advantage of a top end cam.

Never_Enough

Established Member
For what they are, they are a cool option. I would never BRAG that I owned a Miata. Hard to argue though with the real world results. Not a world beater, but the fact you can actually beat on it on a road course and still drive home in one piece says a lot.

Power wise, honestly the only NA thing I can think of is port the head, header, a thinner head gasket, deck the head, run 100 octane and bump the timing for the track. Not sure the engine has enough displacement that a cam would make a difference, though if it were profiled for 3500 to redline it might make a difference. Would probably need at least a 3 angle valve job, maybe even a 5 angle to really take advantage of a top end cam.
Cams are a waste on these unless you have a great one & you have gone FI.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Not the point. If you want an affordable track car thats the way to go. Power isnt that important on a road course anyway
Driving instructors are funny as hell. Nothing like them getting a rental mustang and whooping up on the 700hp cars at the courses.

nxhappy

Established Member
I don't understand when they don't put a light weight V6 in the Miata. It would kick some ass with 250-300 HP. But anything under 200 this day and age is a joke for power (for a sports car).

Users who are viewing this thread